Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 11,588 times

Advertisements

We're starting to look at relocating from the Bay Area to the San Diego area. We have 1.5 young kids and had originally been focused on Poway area for all of the great things we've read about it being so family friendly, but took a drive through the area and came away pretty discouraged. Seems like there's no there there and any restaurants, shopping etc outside of a strip mall were a hike towards the coastal region. The places we looked also felt very cookie cutter, and seemed pretty on top of each other, which we aren't a huge fan of. Drove through the lakes and just hated everything about it.

As we drove through RSF, we liked the area much more, though can see that it would be less family friendly. In looking at areas online, Olivenhain also looks nice. We'd be looking at the lower end of the mkt in RSF/Olivenhain for what we want, but it's definitely doable.

Within these areas, are there any particular areas we should focus in on that might be closer to amenities and have more of a sense of community? I'm not totally anti-subdivision, but not sure some of the restrictive HOAs are for me--SantaLuz's planting restrictions were enough to turn me off!

So looking for any recommendations in these areas or nearby areas. We like the spanish style homes and want ~ an acre, mainly to not be on top of neighbors and have space for garden, pool, etc...

Also, would love any feedback on the RE market for homes in this area. Do people sell on contract at all? We're in the bay area, where that's unheard of, but seems like some of these places have been on the mkt a while... We would be an all cash buyer, but need to sell our home first.

ETA, also, maybe an odd question, but is there a big rat population in these areas? The area we're in is just overrun right now for some reason. It's totally disgusting!

Last edited by tb001; 09-13-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
We're starting to look at relocating from the Bay Area to the San Diego area. We have 1.5 young kids and had originally been focused on Poway area for all of the great things we've read about it being so family friendly, but took a drive through the area and came away pretty discouraged. Seems like there's no there there and any restaurants, shopping etc outside of a strip mall were a hike towards the coastal region. The places we looked also felt very cookie cutter, and seemed pretty on top of each other, which we aren't a huge fan of. Drove through the lakes and just hated everything about it.

As we drove through RSF, we liked the area much more, though can see that it would be less family friendly. In looking at areas online, Olivenhain also looks nice. We'd be looking at the lower end of the mkt in RSF/Olivenhain for what we want, but it's definitely doable.

Within these areas, are there any particular areas we should focus in on that might be closer to amenities and have more of a sense of community? I'm not totally anti-subdivision, but not sure some of the restrictive HOAs are for me--SantaLuz's planting restrictions were enough to turn me off!

So looking for any recommendations in these areas or nearby areas. We like the spanish style homes and want ~ an acre, mainly to not be on top of neighbors and have space for garden, pool, etc...

Also, would love any feedback on the RE market for homes in this area. Do people sell on contract at all? We're in the bay area, where that's unheard of, but seems like some of these places have been on the mkt a while... We would be an all cash buyer, but need to sell our home first.

ETA, also, maybe an odd question, but is there a big rat population in these areas? The area we're in is just overrun right now for some reason. It's totally disgusting!
Olivenhain in particular is a not near any decent amount of amenities and even most of RSF is not either. Nice areas if you can afford it, and some things off the 11, but plan on driving a lot.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 11,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Olivenhain in particular is a not near any decent amount of amenities and even most of RSF is not either. Nice areas if you can afford it, and some things off the 11, but plan on driving a lot.
Yes, it seems like it's really dependent on where you are in RSF or Olivenhain. The edges close to the main roads at least look a bit better for groceries, etc..., but so hard to tell when you're not in an area! This is part of the reason I'm curious about the market. My guess is it will take us a while to find the right home, and we'd ideally like to not end up renting.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:00 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
I live just outside Olivenhain, and my younger kids go to OPE, so I now the area well. We looked at several homes there when we were house hunting 2 yrs ago.

Olivenhain is an excellent area that gives you a little breathing room as the homes are on some land, close to the coast so summer temps are kept in check, but still inland enough to not have too much coastal fog. Plus it's still convenient to shopping along El Camino Real and just 10 minutes to one of the best family beaches in SD county, Moonlight. The schools are top notch also.

Downsides would be a lot of the housing stock is older and traffic. Traffic is quite bad along Rancho Santa Fe rd through Olivenhain, as the road is only 1 lane each direction and there is 11 stop signs in that 2 mile stretch.

Home prices are expensive there, especially for new/updated homes, but will seem like a bargain compared to what you get in the bay area.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Have you looked into Encinitas? Also, there's a huge leap from Ranch P. to RSF and Olivenhein.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:20 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Nice areas in terms of housing and setting but not kid friendly, there is nowhere for them to go other than their yard, high speed roadways, high maintenance properties , expensive and restrictive HOA, and too far from everything. If money was no object and I was choosing a place to live I'd choose a more modest house in a quiet but closer-in location, i.e. Del Mar. No reason to pay for an acre of land in coastal Southern CA unless you have horses. High end neighborhoods are quiet and neighbors are working typically professionals.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Not kid friendly? In what sense?

Olivenhain has tons of kids. They don't ride bikes in the street, but most kids aren't left to do that nowadays anyway. OLVN kids do playdates at friends houses. Tons of kids there.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I live just outside Olivenhain, and my younger kids go to OPE, so I now the area well. We looked at several homes there when we were house hunting 2 yrs ago.

Olivenhain is an excellent area that gives you a little breathing room as the homes are on some land, close to the coast so summer temps are kept in check, but still inland enough to not have too much coastal fog. Plus it's still convenient to shopping along El Camino Real and just 10 minutes to one of the best family beaches in SD county, Moonlight. The schools are top notch also.

Downsides would be a lot of the housing stock is older and traffic. Traffic is quite bad along Rancho Santa Fe rd through Olivenhain, as the road is only 1 lane each direction and there is 11 stop signs in that 2 mile stretch.

Home prices are expensive there, especially for new/updated homes, but will seem like a bargain compared to what you get in the bay area.
Plus La Costa/new stuff in south Carlsbad.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Have you looked in La Jolla? Older homes and not cookie-cutter. An acre of land is probably not doable.

Lots of restaurants and shopping in the Village of La Jolla. Great beaches too.

Sell on contract? Not sure I know what that means. Are you talking a contingency sale where your current house must sell before you can close the deal? It's possible but the seller will probably require you to give him the right to sell if a better deal comes along. You can also ask for first right of refusal.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post

I always find this strange and sometimes it makes me wonder about the validity of the question. For what you are asking, you are looking at dropping anywhere from 2-5 million dollars on a house in RSF or Olivenhain. If you stick with your acre requirement, possibly more.

So what I find strange is that you are obviously affluent buyers, wouldn't you reach out to a professional that knows the area? Maybe a friend that lives around here that could guide you in the right direction?

The people on this board are fine folks but if I was going to make a multimillion dollar purchase, I would have an area professional lined up. I'm not a big fan of RE Agents, but in your case that seems a bit more realistic. If I had the means to do it I would fly down every weekend and drive around and sit with Agents and pick their brains until the sun went down.

If you want advice on where to get tacos...I'm your guy. Otherwise, I think there is only one other "as affluent as you" person on this board and he hasn't been heard from in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego