Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times

Advertisements

Does it ever occur to you how horrible condition a lot of our streets are? Including our local freeways?

I drive for Uber part-time now, so I am on the road a few hours a day/night driving all around SD, I've been all around town, many of our roads are in terrible condition, there should be no excuse for this, as it's completely unacceptable! There might not be potholes on every street, but the crumbling, huge cracks, chunks of missing asphalt, and lumpy, uneven pavement is shockingly bad and should be a hazard to drivers especially in the mid-city area, downtown, and parts of the beach areas.

My car has taken a serious beating from going over these rough streets on a daily basis, another concern is the steep dips that will tear up your front bumper if you're not aware and careful how fast you are going as they're not warning signs on every dip that you encounter. Another huge problem is how low lite San Diego is.

Many sections of the city, even in some urban parts, the lack of street lighting is astonishing, do we still live in the 1600's or what? There have been a few close calls where I almost hit a person because the streets are pitch black and someone just suddenly appears out of nowhere. I don't understand it, this should be a safety concern as well. OB is a perfect example of many of there neighborhoods might have one or two streetlights, but one street over, there's none. Many of our neighborhoods that are on hills, or canyons, seem to have hardly any lighting.

On and off ramps on certain freeways have ZERO lighting and can easily lead someone to fly off a turn into a ditch or into a guardrail. Why isn't anything being done about this kind of thing? It's common sense to have light poles at on/off ramps, but for some odd reason, San Diego is as backwards as it gets on this kind of stuff. It's still living in a small town state of mind.

As a driver, the regular use of my high beams is a given at night in PB and OB neighborhoods, the poor planning of San Diego over the years really made for some weird and strange engineering designs and street layouts that doesn't make sense at times.

The worst stretch of roads are around and near the Sports Arena, Sunset Cliffs Blvd, Midway dr, Ingrahm street, Grand Ave in PB, Sea World Dr, Mission Bay Dr, Mission Valley, and Uni-Ave. and many others around Downtown are jarring to drive on.

I mean these streets make driving extremely uncomfortable with the constant jolting and shaking vibration that enters the cabin of the car and stressful experience for riders.

The 8 freeway, parts of the 5, 94, and 163 really need attention and serious repaving. The lack of maintenance and care for our freeways has made it's deterioration accelerate because work has never been done to improve the condition of any of these freeways in years. Traffic has slowly gotten worse, therefore, more and more cars are on our roadways adding additional wear and tear. Why aren't our tax dollars going towards our infrastructure? The mayor of SD keeps talking about fixing the streets, but I personally haven;t seen anything being done about it.

You'll notice all kinds of random work being done on the shoulder of a freeway of God knows what, probably nothing important, but when it comes to actual constructive repairs and improvements, I have hardly seen it in the 20 years of living here.

The city rather plant more trees on sidewalks to cover up a trashy neighborhood, than repave streets which is more important right now to the safety and quality of life of all San Diegans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Does it ever occur to you how horrible condition a lot of our streets are? Including our local freeways?

I drive for Uber part-time now, so I am on the road a few hours a day/night driving all around SD, I've been all around town, many of our roads are in terrible condition, there should be no excuse for this, as it's completely unacceptable! There might not be potholes on every street, but the crumbling, huge cracks, chunks of missing asphalt, and lumpy, uneven pavement is shockingly bad and should be a hazard to drivers especially in the mid-city area, downtown, and parts of the beach areas.

My car has taken a serious beating from going over these rough streets on a daily basis, another concern is the steep dips that will tear up your front bumper if you're not aware and careful how fast you are going as they're not warning signs on every dip that you encounter. Another huge problem is how low lite San Diego is.

Many sections of the city, even in some urban parts, the lack of street lighting is astonishing, do we still live in the 1600's or what? There have been a few close calls where I almost hit a person because the streets are pitch black and someone just suddenly appears out of nowhere. I don't understand it, this should be a safety concern as well. OB is a perfect example of many of there neighborhoods might have one or two streetlights, but one street over, there's none. Many of our neighborhoods that are on hills, or canyons, seem to have hardly any lighting.

On and off ramps on certain freeways have ZERO lighting and can easily lead someone to fly off a turn into a ditch or into a guardrail. Why isn't anything being done about this kind of thing? It's common sense to have light poles at on/off ramps, but for some odd reason, San Diego is as backwards as it gets on this kind of stuff. It's still living in a small town state of mind.

As a driver, the regular use of my high beams is a given at night in PB and OB neighborhoods, the poor planning of San Diego over the years really made for some weird and strange engineering designs and street layouts that doesn't make sense at times.

The worst stretch of roads are around and near the Sports Arena, Sunset Cliffs Blvd, Midway dr, Ingrahm street, Grand Ave in PB, Sea World Dr, Mission Bay Dr, Mission Valley, and Uni-Ave. and many others around Downtown are jarring to drive on.

I mean these streets make driving extremely uncomfortable with the constant jolting and shaking vibration that enters the cabin of the car and stressful experience for riders.

The 8 freeway, parts of the 5, 94, and 163 really need attention and serious repaving. The lack of maintenance and care for our freeways has made it's deterioration accelerate because work has never been done to improve the condition of any of these freeways in years. Traffic has slowly gotten worse, therefore, more and more cars are on our roadways adding additional wear and tear. Why aren't our tax dollars going towards our infrastructure? The mayor of SD keeps talking about fixing the streets, but I personally haven;t seen anything being done about it.

You'll notice all kinds of random work being done on the shoulder of a freeway of God knows what, probably nothing important, but when it comes to actual constructive repairs and improvements, I have hardly seen it in the 20 years of living here.

The city rather plant more trees on sidewalks to cover up a trashy neighborhood, than repave streets which is more important right now to the safety and quality of life of all San Diegans.
Welcome to CA.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:06 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

But we have a gas tax coming that will hopefully cure all the ills you mention. Don't worry, You will pay dearly soon. Let's just hope CA doesn't follow the state of PA and do a terrible job like they have administering projects with their gas tax. Generally speaking, The City and State are great collectors of revenue (tax) but they've proven time and time again to have misaligned priorities, strange city planning strategies and lack of follow through when they are seemingly on the right track with a few things. How many thoughts ideas legislation over the years miss the big picture and we are left with unintended consequences of decisions that weren't thought out too well.

The lighting is awful. I've mentioned that here as well. Some of the worst in the country in my opinion. I was told don't know if this is true that folks complained about lighting being too bright along roads and highways and how the bright disrupted their peace and enjoyment of their own properties.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:15 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Notice how developers are slapping up expensive condos at a rapid rate with almost zero additional new roads, fire houses and other improvements? You pretty much need to be driving a 4 x 4 here in most of the County.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
We have family visiting from out of town, and it was one of the first things they noticed. there were bumps and dips in the roads near Point Loma that or so big fat the almost hit their heads. It seems we can't make it through one drive without comments about the road conditions.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
The roads have always been bad here. Simple repairs seem to take forever, and then often they do repairs to the repairs a short time later.

What gets me though is that over the last two years there seems to be an increase in other types of wear and tear happening on regular basis on the freeways.

For instance, I have gotten windshield dings from flying debris off of trucks several times. Worse, my daughter had to actually replace her windshield recently after someone threw a soda can out their window that smacked her windshield and cracked it. Thank goodness, she wasn't hurt.

And, in August, I was driving on the 5 when a rock the size of a softball came flying down off a hill, bounced up, and hit the side of my car. I saw it bouncing across the road so I tried to swerve to avoid it, but it still left a perfect softball size dent that almost tore off the side bumper of my car. It cast almost $500 to repair the damage.

Anyone else noticing an increase in this type of stuff, or is our family just unlucky?

Some days I feel like I'm in a roller derby driving here, between swerving around road junk, repair work, and crazy drivers.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-25-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

The lighting is awful. I've mentioned that here as well. Some of the worst in the country in my opinion. I was told don't know if this is true that folks complained about lighting being too bright along roads and highways and how the bright disrupted their peace and enjoyment of their own properties.
Actually, street lights in San Diego are the way they are partially because of the Mount Palomar Observatory and Mount Laguna Observatory. There was concern about light pollution limiting vision there, so the county started using sodium lights.

Here's an interesting article (from 2010) about why streetlights are the way they are here in SD County:

New lights raise fears about sky glow - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Even so, light pollution has gotten noticeably worse in the County. From our house in East County, we used to be able to see the Milky Way pretty clearly, but now even late at night, the stars are not nearly as clear and we can see a stronger nighttime glow from the more urban areas to the west of us. Light pollution may not seem important, but it's been shown to have health effects, so it's not just about making things easier for astronomers.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-25-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
SD roads and their condition as noted are atrocious, even in heavy tourist areas, where it would be appear we could put our best foot forward.

Chula Vista and El Cajon at least have kept up with their paving. They have well maintained streets on their major thoroughfares.

There are simply too many roads to fix period for the geographical size of SD proper.

Turko can probably do a show everyday on a new street and never cover them all

Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The roads have always been bad here. Simple repairs seem to take forever, and then often they do repairs to the repairs a short time later.

What gets me though is that over the last two years there seems to be an increase in other types of wear and tear happening on regular basis on the freeways.

For instance, I have gotten windshield dings from flying debris off of trucks several times. Worse, my daughter had to actually replace her windshield recently after someone threw a soda can out their window that smacked her windshield and cracked it. Thank goodness, she wasn't hurt.

And, in August, I was driving on the 5 when a rock the size of a softball came flying down off a hill, bounced up, and hit the side of my car. I saw it bouncing across the road so I tried to swerve to avoid it, but it still left a perfect softball size dent that almost tore off the side bumper of my car. It cast almost $500 to repair the damage.

Anyone else noticing an increase in this type of stuff, or is our family just unlucky?

Some days I feel like I'm in a roller derby driving here, between swerving around road junk, repair work, and crazy drivers.
I've had terrible luck in this department.

Last year I had to replace a windshield while driving in Rancho San Diego because a Asphalt Co. decided to load loose stone and rock with no cover while driving 70 MPH plus kicking rock and stone out of the bed of their truck. With the amount of rock flying out- I don't think I was the only car that had dents and cracked windows that day.

Meanwhile I see highway patrol driving around and not caring too much about these kinds of operations taking place.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM

12 posts, read 11,432 times
Roads here are terrible. Potholes and road debris everywhere. 20+ years of driving in NJ/NY and had 1 incident with my tire getting punctured. And that was my fault since I drove on the shoulder. Less than 2 years here, I had to get my tires repaired 3 times already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego