U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM

1,071 posts, read 604,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBooger View Post
Our family will be moving to San Diego at the end of next June. My husband will be working in Chula Vista primarily, less often in La Mesa, and some in El Centro (but El Centro doesn't really factor in for us since the commute will be terrible from anywhere and they put him up in a hotel those days).

We both grew up in San Diego and are looking at the Mission Hills/Hillcrest/North Park/South Park/University Heights areas to be close to our family as well as easy access to freeways for an easy(ish) commute.

We are looking for a safe (ie like if you went for a short walk during the day and happen to not lock your door you wouldn't panic) neighborhood with lots of families, close proximity to a park, neighborhood block parties, yard sales and maybe close to a few eateries or stores.

1) Are there neighborhoods you would add to that list? We are willing to look beyond that area. Bay Park? La Mesa? Are there parts of Pt. Loma that wouldn't be a terrible commute? We just don't really want to go North.

2) I'm leaning toward North Park/South Park (having a hard time figuring out distinction?) and would like to know whether there are specific streets and areas that fit our description better than others? Areas to avoid?

3) Same as #2 for University Heights

4) Part of why I'm drawn to the NP/SP/UH areas are the IB elementary schools in the area. We are particularly impressed with McKinley program but would be interested to hear experiences people have had there or at Jefferson or Birney or Grant. I will be submitting a Choice application but have been told it might be pointless given how popular they are and the fact my daughter will be entering 1st grade with fewer choice spots.

5) Are there charter schools we should be considering? Anyone have good experience with Museum school?

6) We are hoping to buy but also willing to rent in an area to get into a school we want and wait a year to buy when we have more time. If we aren't moving until June, when do we need to be looking for rentals in those areas?
The good thing about the mid-city area is that everything is just a flick away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,998,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
The good thing about the mid-city area is that everything is just a flick away

Define everything please

Old 10-21-2017, 07:11 PM

14 posts, read 5,804 times
Thank you so much! Very helpful. Nothing is set in stone and while the mid-city area is certainly closer to family and gives me a more central location for when I start the job hunt, I think we would be interested in checking out Chula Vista and La Mesa before we ruled them out. I love the style of older homes and tend to not want gated or cookie cutter communities - so if you have any suggestions for places to look (or avoid) in those two areas I would be very interested as well as recommendation about schools. Feel free to DM if you prefer.

Our budget for rental is likely in low 3000's but we have some flexibility. There is a remote possibility we buy something and if things align so we could do that we are probably working with a max budget in mid 800k.

While I know that North Park/South Park might not be completely taken over by families, I was hoping maybe there were pockets or blocks or sections that have more families (and maybe less "homeless birds"). I seem to be most interested in the McKinley and Saints area.

We lived near the Pentagon in DC so helicopter noise isn't much an issue.

You raise good points about looking at schools beyond elementary. We know families who have been happy with the IB programs at Roosevelt and San Diego but certainly can see how it might not be the best fit for everyone and need to learn a little bit more about those feeder sites.

I'm definitely aware of all the deadlines for Choice applications and lotteries and I am coming out in November to tour several schools so I can submit applications with a little more knowledge and hopefully narrow down some neighborhoods.

If we do end up renting. How early do things get posted for a rental starting in June. What are the best ways (besides craigslist) to find rentals in the area.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Very helpful!

Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,757,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBooger View Post
T I love the style of older homes and tend to not want gated or cookie cutter communities - so if you have any suggestions for places to look (or avoid) in those two areas I would be very interested as well as recommendation about schools. Feel free to DM if you prefer.

Our budget for rental is likely in low 3000's but we have some flexibility. There is a remote possibility we buy something and if things align so we could do that we are probably working with a max budget in mid 800k.
If you don't like Cookie Cutter than the newer, master planned communities east of the 805 in Chula Vista probably won't appeal to you. Bonita might still be worth a look though, although to me part of the appeal of the newer east CV communities is all of the new schools and parks, which Bonita doesn't have.

I think Mission Hills and/or South Park would probably be the most family friendly mid-city areas. I see more parents walking with strollers in Mission Hills than South Park. The area around Saint Augustine's is nice too, and more "south park" feel than "north park." As I said, you might also check out Normal Heights north of Adams -- that's a nice, sort of hidden area. Kensington and Bankers Hills are two other good options that I think would work for families (Kensington especially). However, all of these areas might be a little tight for your rental budget. As long as you aren't too picky about the size of the house, you should find some options.

In La Mesa, the hills around the Village area have a lot of older homes with character and some are on good sized lots. Mount Helix might also be worth looking at, although I think your budge is also going to be low for Mount Helix. As you probably remember, La Mesa north of the 8 is mainly older tract developments, but because everything has had a chance to settle in it doesn't feel as cookie cutter to me. Look around the "lake" neighborhoods close to Lake Murray. You may also want to check into the San Carlos area, which is similar in feel but doesn't feel too cookie cutter and has great schools.

I'd also go back to your idea of Point Loma. I really love the "woods" area at the top of the hill there, as well as the area heading towards the sub base. The schools are good there, and you have the High Tech charter schools as an option there as well (again, they work by lottery).

You have an advantage because you know San Diego, so I'm sure you'll land in a good spot. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 AM

480 posts, read 1,734,429 times
Chula Vista east of 805 would be my choice in that situation. Close to work, and even when working in LaMesa only about 12 miles (20 min.) via the 125 toll road/Fwy (not much traffic on that route in the morning) Of course, if you grew up here, you know the "stigma" about "Chulajuana" from the Poway and Rancho B snobs and other points north, but you still get the best bang for your buck here and the schools are reputable. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or