Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 8,443 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to San Diego and the choices of areas to live is somewhat overwhelming. I'm a single gay almost-40 guy. I don't drink (so gay bars are not my thing). I like outdoor beach activities, walking my dogs, working out. Any suggestions on a neighborhood to live in that I'd find other 30s/40s gay or gay-friendly people? I work from home so commute is no issue. I've been looking at La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar which are expensive - are they worth it? I appreciate any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,123,578 times
What's your rental budget, and what area of San Diego will you be working in?

Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,549,803 times
What is your maximum budget? Are you planning to buy or rent?

Obviously, only you can determine if living in three of the most expensive areas in San Diego County are "worth it." One potential downside with the three areas you're looking at is that they tend to skew towards older populations; they're not areas that you'll find a ton of 30/40 ish folks living in.

If you want to be close to the beach, you might expand your search a bit to include areas like: Point Loma, North Pacific Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside. None of these are "cheap" areas (although Oceanside is more reasonable) but they are a little less pricey than La Jolla, Coronado and Del Mar. And, some of these areas are likely to have more people in your age group.

In general, the San Diego area is gay friendly. So, you should be fine in any of the areas above. You'll find LGBT folks living happily throughout the county.

However, if you're looking for the largest LGBT population and want more activities geared towards the LGBT community, look at mid-city areas like Hillcrest, South Park, University Heights, Kensington, Normal Heights, North Park, Bankers Hill. These are not beach communities, so probably not a fit in that regard, but they likely will have more people your age, in addition to a larger LGBT population.

You've probably already stumbled upon these already, but these resources might be helpful in your research:

North County Resource Center

Welcome to San Diego Gay and Lesbian News | San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

Home - The Center - San Diego LGBT Community

And, here's a list of dog friendly beaches and parks in San Diego County:

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/pe...san-diego.aspx

Good luck with your move and welcome to San Diego!

Old 10-28-2017, 10:20 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,013,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.i.d.g. View Post
I'm relocating to San Diego and the choices of areas to live is somewhat overwhelming. I'm a single gay almost-40 guy. I don't drink (so gay bars are not my thing). I like outdoor beach activities, walking my dogs, working out. Any suggestions on a neighborhood to live in that I'd find other 30s/40s gay or gay-friendly people? I work from home so commute is no issue. I've been looking at La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar which are expensive - are they worth it? I appreciate any suggestions!

The communities that you have mentioned are some of our most beautiful areas and affluent, so if you got the money, do it. Generally, you would be able to walk to the beach if you lived in these areas. I can't comment on to the gay friendliness, but I would imagine they are friendly areas in general with nice people. If you're looking for the quintessential gay community, Hillcrest and the surrounding areas would be your pick.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:44 AM

771 posts, read 828,396 times
Quote:
As others have asked, what type of budget range are you comfortable with and are you buying or renting? Also, where are you coming from or where have you previously lived and liked? That can help home in as San Diego county is surprisingly large and spread out. Is proximity to an airport a consideration?

Old 10-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it! I am looking for a rental around $3000/mo. I don't mind spending toward the higher end of my budget for a nice area, but wanted to get your opinion to make sure I wasn't moving into a retirement community. I like a diverse group of people and ages. I lived in Florida for 2 years and there are areas where 50s is young.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:12 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,549,803 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it! I am looking for a rental around $3000/mo. I don't mind spending toward the higher end of my budget for a nice area, but wanted to get your opinion to make sure I wasn't moving into a retirement community. I like a diverse group of people and ages. I lived in Florida for 2 years and there are areas where 50s is young.
This chart might be helpful -- it provides a snapshot of most of the communities/neighborhoods in San Diego County, including median ages (note that the average home/rental prices are a bit outdated):

How San Diego's Neighborhoods Stack Up

Are you looking to rent a house with a yard, or an apartment? $3000 probably won't get you into a house near the beach in Del Mar, La Jolla or Coronado, especially with dogs. It should give you some options for an apartment though.

But, there are other beach communities that are just as nice as these three and a little less pricey. Come out for another visit and explore a bit more.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-28-2017 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,801,004 times
Quote:
Both La Jolla and Coronado are snoozeville -chock full of conservative retirees. Stick to the urban communities surrounding Balboa Park or nice beach areas like Encinitas. There are 10 LGBT households (mostly settled middle-aged couples, but still fun) in our immediate area in South Park.

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-29-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 PM

Thank you! I'm curious what you guys think of Oceanside. I visited there once and thought it was nice, but then heard there are gangs and higher crime.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Or even Ocean Beach that has a dog beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego