Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 06:39 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,741,412 times

Advertisements

St Augustine really is awesome. One of my favorite places in Florida. If only I could find a job in that area. I actually like Jacksonville a lot as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:02 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Thanks man! I Sure will.

I know I criticize SD for many things, but it’s honest criticism and because I see no end in sight when it comes to the housing crunch and it’s frustrating as a lifelong San Diegan to know this.

This goes for all CA though especially in the bigger cities, high taxes, nanny laws (cant do this can’t do that) and regulations is accelerating our leave.
Quote:
You’re right, it is smart. We both decided we are over struggling out here, and have been saving for a down payment for a home in 200-350k range which is doable for us. Homes in that price range in Vegas are actually nice, something like that out here gets you a shack in the hood or nothing at all.
As a native of Oceanside, this was a lot of our thought process before leaving. We felt defeated and bummed to leave, but the realization of how much it has changed finally started to really hit. We now live in a sparsely populated area and have much less traffic and a slower way of life. It has done wonders for us. I miss the ocean, but not for the price I was paying living there to enjoy it. You won't regret it.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
As a native of Oceanside, this was a lot of our thought process before leaving. We felt defeated and bummed to leave, but the realization of how much it has changed finally started to really hit. We now live in a sparsely populated area and have much less traffic and a slower way of life. It has done wonders for us. I miss the ocean, but not for the price I was paying living there to enjoy it. You won't regret it.
My wife and I looked real hard at Oceanside and could have bought there as we have lived in SDC twice. I wanted and needed to be near the ocean. I grew up in Newport beach and am strongly attached to the beach life. I also need better air than you will find anywhere except near Oceanside in general, in SoCal.

We settled on FL instead as it offered so much more for far less, and would allow us to be at the beach everyday with no problems and fly to SoCal as we wished to enjoy it and our memories. I love SoCal but it is getting so bad, not just air quality which while better than when I was a kid, but is still not good for me. I am not struggling health wise, but I prefer not to get worse and worse due to air quality which is a problem in SoCal for sure.

If it weren't for that we might be packing for SoCal now, then again maybe not. Too many other issues though in general we found Oceanside in the areas we would buy, to be a good choice. On the other hand I can afford it and would be paying cash for my home there as I am now in FL, so COL of living, while considered was not a major issue. The ever increasing taxes and fees did play a part and the is no telling what the Gov't of CA will do next either, but it will cost everyone more. Crowding, traffic was a major part of our decision as well as we are tired of it. We moved out of SoCal 3 times and back twice, but each time things were worse. Where I am moving now is very like Newport Beach in the 70's.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
My wife and I looked real hard at Oceanside and could have bought there as we have lived in SDC twice. I wanted and needed to be near the ocean. I grew up in Newport beach and am strongly attached to the beach life. I also need better air than you will find anywhere except near Oceanside in general, in SoCal.

We settled on FL instead as it offered so much more for far less, and would allow us to be at the beach everyday with no problems and fly to SoCal as we wished to enjoy it and our memories. I love SoCal but it is getting so bad, not just air quality which while better than when I was a kid, but is still not good for me. I am not struggling health wise, but I prefer not to get worse and worse due to air quality which is a problem in SoCal for sure.

If it weren't for that we might be packing for SoCal now, then again maybe not. Too many other issues though in general we found Oceanside in the areas we would buy, to be a good choice. On the other hand I can afford it and would be paying cash for my home there as I am now in FL, so COL of living, while considered was not a major issue. The ever increasing taxes and fees did play a part and the is no telling what the Gov't of CA will do next either, but it will cost everyone more. Crowding, traffic was a major part of our decision as well as we are tired of it. We moved out of SoCal 3 times and back twice, but each time things were worse. Where I am moving now is very like Newport Beach in the 70's.
You should see (which you actually can see) the air quality here now since the fires. I'm on oc and the wind isn't blowing our way and we're still affected by it. There's a brown haze all around us. The air is so dry it's over 80 everyday and no rain or even cool weather in sight. Oh and hundreds of thousands of acres are burning and hundreds of houses and horses perished. You made the right choice

Old 12-12-2017, 12:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You should see (which you actually can see) the air quality here now since the fires. I'm on oc and the wind isn't blowing our way and we're still affected by it. There's a brown haze all around us. The air is so dry it's over 80 everyday and no rain or even cool weather in sight. Oh and hundreds of thousands of acres are burning and hundreds of houses and horses perished. You made the right choice
Thanks, it wasn't easy but we figured what we liked from the past is not what we need for the future.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,986 times
Regarding the fires and weather, this is another reason why i want to go. It seems like we aren’t getting winters anymore in SoCal. It’s been hotter and drier, especially this month so far is very unusual and actually worrisome.

I honestly can’t believe the state lifted the mandated drought for water cutbacks early this year when CA has barely has had any measurable rainfall in the past 6 months. Climate change is definitely making its presence felt, even the suns rays is strong right now, like when it is during summer which is not normal.

Fears of continued drought, never ending traffic, run down infrastructure just makes San Diego’s future a scary one.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:26 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,942 times
Quote:
Regarding the fires and weather, this is another reason why i want to go. It seems like we aren’t getting winters anymore in SoCal. It’s been hotter and drier, especially this month so far is very unusual and actually worrisome.

I honestly can’t believe the state lifted the mandated drought for water cutbacks early this year when CA has barely has had any measurable rainfall in the past 6 months. Climate change is definitely making its presence felt, even the suns rays is strong right now, like when it is during summer which is not normal.

Fears of continued drought, never ending traffic, run down infrastructure just makes San Diego’s future a scary one.
The run down infrastructure partis definitely an issue. I can't be ok with that. It's gotten pretty bad.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Where I am moving now is very like Newport Beach in the 70's.
Do you mind sharing what city you're in? I know you said east central FL. I'm in Orlando, but if I like FL I'm going to get coastal again eventually.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Yeah regarding the dry weather, it's nice that it never rains, but I got tired of having to see lawns die, getting bitched at about conserving, and like you said, the dryness. the landscape is brown like 11 months out of the year, sometimes more. Orlando may have some $hitty weather, but I'm happy for a change and happy to see some rain. And the storms are cool too. And I don't have to worry about water, not at all.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:53 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Yeah regarding the dry weather, it's nice that it never rains, but I got tired of having to see lawns die, getting bitched at about conserving, and like you said, the dryness. the landscape is brown like 11 months out of the year, sometimes more. Orlando may have some $hitty weather, but I'm happy for a change and happy to see some rain. And the storms are cool too. And I don't have to worry about water, not at all.
When I landed in Jacksonville it was a shock to my eyes to see so much green. Loved it

When I flew back I sat next to a guy coming to OC for vacation from Georgia. He looked out the window and said "it's so brown". I explained to him we were in a horrible drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego