Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times

Advertisements

We had a rodent issue in the attic. We had one rat guy seal the exterior, then called a company that removed all of the old insulation, cleaned, sealed from the inside, and re-insulated. The weird smell is less, but it's still there. I think there might be bad insulation or a corpse in a wall, but have no idea where. Is there a service that uses dogs or meters to locate bad smells?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 04:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
This belongs in the Renters Forum.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:35 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
We had a rodent issue in the attic. We had one rat guy seal the exterior, then called a company that removed all of the old insulation, cleaned, sealed from the inside, and re-insulated. The weird smell is less, but it's still there. I think there might be bad insulation or a corpse in a wall, but have no idea where. Is there a service that uses dogs or meters to locate bad smells?
Here's one company. I'm sure there are others. San Diego, Ca. Dead Animal Removal, dead animal removal san diego, Dead Pet Removal Services - Done Right!

This article might also be helpful: How to Remove Dead Animal Smell in House, Car, or Outside

Many years ago when we were remodeling our home, we had a similar problem. Before we could smell anything, our beagle was going nuts sniffing that wall area. Rather than remove the newly rebuilt wall, our contractor created a small hole and dropped lye into the problem area. That solved the problem pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This belongs in the Renters Forum.
[mod note] The thread is fine here. The OP is requesting help from a local business. A national audience would have no idea about exterminators in Oceanside/San Diego County. Besides, the OP did not indicate if he is a renter or a home owner. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 01-15-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM

603 posts, read 445,393 times
Is the smell always there or does it come and go? I was once in a house that I could have sworn had something dead and rotting but the smell came and went. I finally figured out it was an electrical issue. Whenever I turned on the electric fireplace the smell became unbearable. Turns out the circuit was overloading and what I smelled was the plastic coating of the wires heating up.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
A real gross, sickly-sweet smell..........that is a rotting animal.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
This is funny....I can relate.

For the past week or so, when I have been watching tv in the front room, I have been smelling bananas. I looked around and didn't find anything. My wife just found a rotting banana jammed down the side of the couch, between the cushion and frame of the couch. I am sure it is the work of one of our grandkids that were here during the holidays.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Is the smell always there or does it come and go? I was once in a house that I could have sworn had something dead and rotting but the smell came and went. I finally figured out it was an electrical issue. Whenever I turned on the electric fireplace the smell became unbearable. Turns out the circuit was overloading and what I smelled was the plastic coating of the wires heating up.
It's always there. If the room is closed up while the sun hits it, it gets stronger. When I air it out or run the air purifier, it mostly goes away.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
this is funny....i can relate.

For the past week or so, when i have been watching tv in the front room, i have been smelling bananas. I looked around and didn't find anything. My wife just found a rotting banana jammed down the side of the couch, between the cushion and frame of the couch. I am sure it is the work of one of our grandkids that were here during the holidays.
LOL! :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego