Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:24 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Yeah well there is logic in having contempt for people who buy a house and see its value increase 20-30x in about as many years and gloat about it. They are the people who support the policies that create the housing shortage. They engage in NIMBYist activism, blocking building projects in their area, complaining it would impact their "quality of life" with increased traffic etc. The underlying philosophy being "I got mine, now keep everyone else away from me". They are unconcerned about housing shortages because solving that "problem" would hurt their personal financial portfolio.
If I owned a nice home hers perhaps my opinion would be different. Just sayin there is another side.
In SoCal I think a lot of our housing woes are partly a result of the failed immigration policies of the last 30+ years but its not very popular to promote the MAGA platform so...
But that is not how it worked over 30 years... there were times the market was down and times when it was up...

Problem is many refuse to buy in a down market even if they have stable employment... many even have contempt for those that did buy because Renting was the smart thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:26 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
The only thing that could bring prices down would be a good old fashioned natural disaster. Like an EARTHQUAKE. Scare away all the californy newbies.
Or war or recession or high interest rates or drought or unemployment or etc...

Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
People can still own a home, for cheap it's just not going to be in San Diego. In many States you can still get a decent house for under 50 grand.

I'm cashing out in two years tops. Probably buy both my kids a house in one of those areas so they won't have to deal with a mortgage payment. We can always come back here to visit.

Heck, when my kids were small I rarely went to the beach because I was working 20 hours of overtime a paycheck. I'll probably see the beach more in the future when I don't live here.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
That probably reaches into a philosophical debate beyond the scope of my post or this discussion. That immigrants rags to riches story was not even relevant, what was was the issue of him trying to dig water wells for people so short sightedly corrupt they thought it was better to rob the truck for the couple of bucks they could make selling the tools than let it give them water for a lifetime.
Yes I am going to look down on these people as idiots.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:28 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People can still own a home, for cheap it's just not going to be in San Diego. In many States you can still get a decent house for under 50 grand.

I'm cashing out in two years tops. Probably buy both my kids a house in one of those areas so they won't have to deal with a mortgage payment. We can always come back here to visit.

Heck, when my kids were small I rarely went to the beach because I was working 20 hours of overtime a paycheck. I'll probably see the beach more in the future when I don't live here.
The beach itself is overrated. All that sand, polluted salt water not really pleasant to swim in, etc. Who needs it?
The big attraction is a place to cool off on hot summer days and its a place for youngsters to congregate with those of the opposite sex.
Lots of other ways to do that and pretty soon the liberals will eliminate gender entirely so...

Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 PM

334 posts, read 362,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The U.S. can't only rely on everyone working in tech, service, retail, healthcare and financial sectors and expect the economy to sustain itself without a more diversification in manufacturing and other industries.
BTW the categories you described are already 80% of existing jobs in the US (they cover everything except manufacturing, mining, construction, and agriculture). Actually 80% figure is probably low because some stuff that is tech is likely lumped under manufacturing. (see https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_201.htm)

We can have strong manufacturing sector without many employees. Just like for agriculture.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:

Still North Carolina or else where?
What part of the state?
What are the up- and down-sides of NC?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
We were talking about this the other day and someone asked, who has a home security system. A co-worker pointed out that only 2 out of all of us even own an actual SFH.
False binary. You don't need a SFH to have a home security system. Condos and apartments are vulnerable to break-ins, too.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
False binary. You don't need a SFH to have a home security system. Condos and apartments are vulnerable to break-ins, too.
Well, that wasn't the topic. The topic shifted from a product to talk of residence, a SFH. It was the first time we talked about what kind of dwelling everyone had. I had assumed more people lived in SFHs but I was wrong.

Of course apartments could use security, probably more so in certain areas. PB is notorious for first floor apartment break ins.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Still North Carolina or else where?
What part of the state?
What are the up- and down-sides of NC?
If we move, we move completely. We may go another route if I get my way. I want a cabin in pine covered mountains. Then we can come back each winter and snow bird it with a really big travel trailer.

We are down to E Texas or N Carolina if we just move. Upsides will be cheaper COL, fewer overall taxes and this State won't be able to eat my pension. Downsides are it gets hot and there are so many trees it can feel claustrophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego