U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,369 times

Advertisements

Dear to all members,
i have started to read a lot of posts during the past days, but i decide to create my own one, getting some help.
i am planning to move to USA during the next couple of months with my family ( 2 Dauthers of 6/7 years old and my Wife).
My Company has got a facility in Chula Vista and ideally i could move there for working purpose.
I am starting to look for a place where to live and bring my child in a good school area.
Do you suggest me to look north of 8 motorway, or also in the area of Chula Vista East 805 and La Mesa North?
Could you suggest any website for renting search in such area?
If you want to suggest any other area not far away from work, i will really appreciate.
Moreover, if you could help me with a Good selection of Elementary school, i will really appreciate.
Both my childs do not speak english and need to understand how to help them to start new school in USA.
Are there any Support from School for foreign child or any program that you may know for helping them to learn quick English?
I will start to bring them at intensive course in Italy, but it will not be enought..
Please, let me know your opinion and ideas.
thanks

Last edited by robymore; 02-16-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 AM

249 posts, read 189,591 times
Chula Vista is your answer, easy commute to work and great for families. Schools are good, suburban, more bang for your buck. Less stress on the road and more families. Still within 25m to the beach and city attractions on a good day and maybe 35 to 45m on a bad day.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercad55 View Post
Chula Vista is your answer, easy commute to work and great for families. Schools are good, suburban, more bang for your buck. Less stress on the road and more families. Still within 25m to the beach and city attractions on a good day and maybe 35 to 45m on a bad day.
Thanks for your answer.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:52 AM

617 posts, read 537,360 times
Zillow.com is a good place to look at rental listings. sandiego.craigslist.com as well. The rental market in San Diego very much favors landlords -- there are more renters than rental properties available. The best properties may rent the same day they are listed on these sites or they may not list online at all. But those sites will give you an idea of what to expect in terms of size, outdoor space and price.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Chula-Vista_rb/

Make sure you're aware of differences in healthcare systems and costs. In the US, many people have to pay much higher overall costs for health insurance and health care than many European countries.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Zillow.com is a good place to look at rental listings. sandiego.craigslist.com as well. The rental market in San Diego very much favors landlords -- there are more renters than rental properties available. The best properties may rent the same day they are listed on these sites or they may not list online at all. But those sites will give you an idea of what to expect in terms of size, outdoor space and price.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Chula-Vista_rb/

Make sure you're aware of differences in healthcare systems and costs. In the US, many people have to pay much higher overall costs for health insurance and health care than many European countries.
thanks for your feedback.
Based on the offer i am going to receive from my Company, i will decide if the movement it will make sense.
From information i received, Company may propose me Helth care protection for my family.
Otherwise, i understood that I will need to count, around 1,0 - 1,2K$/month for it + Pension retirement cost.
Am i correct?
Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM

617 posts, read 537,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robymore View Post
thanks for your feedback.
Based on the offer i am going to receive from my Company, i will decide if the movement it will make sense.
From information i received, Company may propose me Helth care protection for my family.
Otherwise, i understood that I will need to count, around 1,0 - 1,2K$/month for it + Pension retirement cost.
Am i correct?
Thanks again.
In the US, most people who work for a company get their health insurance through their company. It is usually cheaper and easier.

Many companies now provide what is often called high-deductible plans. There is a monthly premium that you always pay to be a part of hte plan. You might pay $400 - $800/month for the employee and spouse and perhaps $500 - $1000/mo for family (employee + spouse + all kids). Typically regular preventative visits are covered or inexpensive. But other things you pay almost all of up to a maximum, which can be up to roughly $12K/year. For example, if your child breaks her arm and you go to the hospital emergency room, you could have to pay for all of that directly yourself.

If health issues cross a calendar year or are chronic, it could be $12K/year for many years on top of monthly premiums. So in a best case scenario using the above examples, a family should budget $6K-$12K/year (monthly premiums only -- no health issues that year). But in a very bad year, it could be that plus roughly $12K ($18K-$24K total).

The quality and pricing of plans offered by employers can vary dramatically, but what I outlined above is a good guide. I recommend you find out from your company what their plan includes. All health plans in the US are much more complicated than almost any other rich country's.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,806,024 times
Quote:
D
Moreover, if you could help me with a Good selection of Elementary school, i will really appreciate.
Both my childs do not speak english and need to understand how to help them to start new school in USA.
Are there any Support from School for foreign child or any program that you may know for helping them to learn quick English?
I will start to bring them at intensive course in Italy, but it will not be enought..
Please, let me know your opinion and ideas.
thanks
In California, public schools are run by school districts. Each school district has a number of schools, and you'll be assigned to a public school based on your address in the district.
The schools in the Eastern side of Chula Vista (east of the 805 freeway) are very good, so you should be fine with any school in that area. When you find a place to live, ask which school is assigned to that address. Many schools offer tours for new parents, and will be happy to answer your questions about their programs.

Almost all schools in California have programs to help students who are not fluent in English get up to speed as quickly as possible. Once you know where you will be living and the school you're assigned to, call the school to discuss the ESL (English as Second Language) program and they'll be happy to explain what they offer. Here is the ESL information website for the Chula Vista elementary school district: English Learner Program Chula Vista School District

You'll also need to register your children with the school. To do that, you'll need to bring a a copy of your children's birth certificates (a passport will also work) and documents to prove that you live in the district (these can include things like utility bills, rent or home ownership paperwork). You should also be aware that your children will need to be up-to-date with required immunizations before they can enroll and you'll need to show documentation of that.

I would suggest you read through the information on the Chula Vista School District's web page on how to register your children for school in the district, which details exactly what is needed. You can find that here: Chula Vista School District Enrollment

Other school districts will have similar websites explaining what they require (it will be similar for all school districts).

There are also some private schools in Chula Vista, but, in general, private schools may not have as strong support services for children learning English so I'd start with the public schools.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-20-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
In California, public schools are run by school districts. Each school district has a number of schools, and you'll be assigned to a public school based on your address in the district.
The schools in the Eastern side of Chula Vista (east of the 805 freeway) are very good, so you should be fine with any school in that area. When you find a place to live, ask which school is assigned to that address. Many schools offer tours for new parents, and will be happy to answer your questions about their programs.

Almost all schools in California have programs to help students who are not fluent in English get up to speed as quickly as possible. Once you know where you will be living and the school you're assigned to, call the school to discuss the ESL (English as Second Language) program and they'll be happy to explain what they offer. Here is the ESL information website for the Chula Vista elementary school district: English Learner Program Chula Vista School District

You'll also need to register your children with the school. To do that, you'll need to bring a a copy of your children's birth certificates (a passport will also work) and documents to prove that you live in the district (these can include things like utility bills, rent or home ownership paperwork). You should also be aware that your children will need to be up-to-date with required immunizations before they can enroll and you'll need to show documentation of that.

I would suggest you read through the information on the Chula Vista School District's web page on how to register your children for school in the district, which details exactly what is needed. You can find that here: Chula Vista School District Enrollment

Other school districts will have similar websites explaining what they require (it will be similar for all school districts).

There are also some private schools in Chula Vista, but, in general, private schools may not have as strong support services for children learning English so I'd start with the public schools.

Good luck with your move!
Many thanks for your feedback, i am not finding any information about costs, are those ESL support paid by US government?
thanks

Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM

7,446 posts, read 4,806,024 times
Quote:
Many thanks for your feedback, i am not finding any information about costs, are those ESL support paid by US government?
thanks
There is no cost for educational services in public schools in the U.S. including ESL instruction.

Of course, the cost is ultimately not "paid by the US government" but by taxpayers. Living and working here, you too will be paying state and Federal income taxes, and property taxes if you buy a home in California, as well as other taxes, so it won't really be "free" for you either.

Private schools, obviously, will charge for their programs. But, parents who send their children to private schools still have to pay income taxes, property taxes, and other taxes part of which goes to public education. And, people who don't even have children also help pay for public education through their taxes.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 PM

44 posts, read 22,186 times
Hi! I retired and moved to Chula Vista last year from the San Francisco area. Generally, the city is OK, of course it is not Beverly Hills or La Jolla. But the streets are clean, I have not noticed problems with crime. There are many supermarkets, vegetables and fruits not expensive. There are also big stores like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. Winter temp. the coldest about 8-10 C (48-50 F). In the summer around 25-30 C (75-90 F). Maybe rent an apartment with air condition and pool. There is a lot of influence from Mexico and almost everyone here speaks English and Spanish. Even I see Mexico from my street! During the weekend you can visit different beaches (nearest Imperial Beach), Chula Vista Marina, Balboa Park in San Diego, downtown San Diego, Tijuana or Rosarito Mexico or even Los Angeles or Las Vegas. - I am 20% Italian, Ciao! Helpful link https://www.apartments.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or