U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-16-2008, 07:53 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,935,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
How do you explain the much cheaper costs of Las Vegas or Orlando, both of which rely on tourism way more than San Diego? It's all dependent on the desirability of a place.
Living in Orlando (and highly considering a move to San Diego) I can attest that Orlando isn't the most desirable place to actually live. Visiting is fine, but once you are here day-to-day, you realize how scummy most of the area is, unfortunately.

Plus, the "really nice" areas really aren't that much cheaper than San Diego, relatively speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM

3,438 posts, read 6,061,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
Yes! for the stucco pieces of crap that you get out there.
While my house isn't stucco, I prefer it to that nasty vinyl siding you see in many parts of the country.

Unread 05-16-2008, 06:22 PM

81 posts, read 173,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Housing costs in CA used to be insanely expensive.

However, prices are coming down fast. I've read an interesting study. In coming years, CA housing costs are supposed to deflate an average of 30%. .
There are cost of living comparison tools on the net. Google them up. I know that a month or so ago, I used one to compare Miami to Austin/TX, Seattle/WA, and San Diego. (Hubby had applied for positions at tech companies in those areas.

Austin's COL was a bit lower. Seattle was a bit higher. San Diego? A LOT higher. He'd have to make a third more than he was making now to maintain his standard of living. Ouch!

However, the cost of homes will continue to go down, I think, as the mortgage crisis continues to unravel.

M.

Unread 05-17-2008, 04:10 PM

240 posts, read 588,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I don't think so. Can you imagine what this place would be like if we were priced like any city in Texas or some other Southern city? This place would be a mess! It's a good way to keep the riff raff out!
Yeah, like police officers, teachers, social workers, nurses - you know, riff raff for whom a decent 2-bedroom house in a nice neighborhood is out of the question.

Unread 05-18-2008, 09:08 PM

282 posts, read 326,469 times
Of course San Diego is overpriced. The bubble was driven by easy credit (predatory? I don't think so) and massive speculation.

The greater fool theory led to the run up but somehow we ran out of fools. So prices will have to fall in line with incomes. What a concept!

Unread 05-19-2008, 12:05 AM

349 posts, read 980,370 times
I don't know about prices falling in line with incomes. San Diego has always been a place where the majority can not afford homes, even before all this easy credit.

There are so many wealthy people living here, that could live anywhere else in the world but choose to live here.

Unread 05-21-2008, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,530 times
One of the most expensive places to live in the entire US....only prelead by NYC, SF and Honolulu....

Unread 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM

282 posts, read 326,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
I don't know about prices falling in line with incomes. San Diego has always been a place where the majority can not afford homes, even before all this easy credit.

There are so many wealthy people living here, that could live anywhere else in the world but choose to live here.
A couple years ago, folks making $100,000 (WAY above average income) couldn't afford a home either. But they could afford to rent. Why was that?

Sure, San Diego attracts a disproportionate share of folks with money (compared to Cleveland for instance).

That doesn't mean a 1,000 square foot bungalow in North Park should sell for $500,000. But with easy credit and bubble mania ("prices only go up") it happened.

A correction was in order and has already partially happened.

Prices will fall to historical affordability levels for San Diego.

Unread 05-23-2008, 03:46 AM

202 posts, read 552,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erradi View Post
Is the San Diego Overpriced? i would like now the cost of living in this city

Thanks in advance
Uhhh Yeah!

Unread 05-24-2008, 06:05 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,636,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
San Diego has always been a place where the majority can not afford homes, even before all this easy credit.
No...not true. San Diego was always more expensive than say other places but it certainly wasn't so unaffordable that the majority couldn't afford to buy. I was born and grew up in SD....everyone in my family ...mom dad...aunts and uncles.....grandparents.....friends ..etc...were/are homeowners. I didn't know anybody who lived in an apartment when I was growing up!

San Diego didn't become anymore desirable than then either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego