Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 10:14 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times

Advertisements

San Marcos schools are overcrowded, have you ever seen how many kids come out of that building every day? Too big for my taste. newgen do you even have kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 11:23 AM

15 posts, read 11,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's the list of all Charter Schools in San Diego County from the San Diego County Office of Education:

https://www.sdcoe.net/business-servi...go-county.aspx

However, from personal experience I can say that Charter schools aren't always the panacea people believe they are -- some are very good, but others have more "issues" then regular public schools, especially in a strong district like Carlsbad Unified.

I wouldn't dismiss Calavera Hills MS based on a single visit. Their test scores are fine, and they're hardly a poor inner city school with associated problems. Perhaps see if you can talk to some parents whose kids attend or have attended. If you can't find anyone on your own, see if you can get in contact with parents through the PTA at the school. If it's just "demographics" that are a turnoff to you, private schools might be an option to consider for middle school.

Finally, these two resources might be helpful to you:

Parents Guide to Public Schools in San Diego County 2019 https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/wp-c...19-English.pdf

San Diego Private School Guide https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San...-School-Guide/

Finally, try starting your own thread using a title like Calavera Hills Middle School in Carlsbad. You may be more likely to get responses from other parents about the school that way then a post buried in an old thread.

Good luck!
Thank you for all your inputs Rosie- very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write.

I had already taken a look at the school report/statistics on voiceofsandiego.org. Didn't look great compared to other middle schools in the district. Also, like I earlier mentioned, the school tour didn't leave a good impression. I am not denying the fact that it might be a good school, but most parents also want to have a good feel while on the campus. I thought a charter school would do a better job. And hence came the question.

I also want to apologize if I have hurt people with my comments about the school- that was definitely not my intention. I was only looking for recommendations. Like most other parents, I am only trying to give my kids the best I can afford. I am sure MOST people would understand/relate to my concerns-although not everyone in the district might be on this forum.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:22 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,106,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Marcos schools are overcrowded, have you ever seen how many kids come out of that building every day? Too big for my taste. newgen do you even have kids?
Not sure which building you are specifically referring to. The district has 18 or so campuses with multiple buildings. I assume San Marcos High?

San Marcos schools definitely have a larger population, so this may be a dealbreaker for some parents. Based on a quick google search, it appears there is no difference in student:teacher ratio, which I think is what concerns most parents.

Lack of diversity is a dealbreaker for me. In my opinion, being in a bubble of wealth and privilege is going to have a larger impact on your child's mentality and future success than having a large school campus.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:57 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhomemom77 View Post
Thank you for all your inputs Rosie- very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write.

I thought a charter school would do a better job. And hence came the question.
The two charter schools I'm familiar with in North County and have heard good reports about from parents whose kids attend/attended are the Classical Academy and the High Tech schools (K-12).

The Classical Academy is based in Escondido, but has a K-8 program in Oceanside (called the Coastal Academy). It has a unique approach that is partially based on independent study.

The High Tech charter schools are in San Marcos. They have a middle school. The High Tech schools are good, but not right for everyone, and, again, they have their own specialized way of approaching education. However, if you're looking for next year (2019-20 school year) High Tech may not be an option because they work on a lottery and I think that has already closed for next year -- check their website to find out.

There is no harm in applying for an intra-district transfer to another school in Carlsbad Unified. If the district tells you that spots are full, ask if your son's name can be added to a wait list and keep calling. Sometimes spots do open up over the summer.

An inter-district transfer is also a possibility, so you may want to look into middle school options in surrounding areas like San Marcos. But, act fast, as the window for applying for inter-district transfers may already be closed or closing soon.

Private schools are also always an option and worth looking into as well if you are unhappy with the public options available to your son, just so you'll know that you've covered all bases in making your decision.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,254,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhomemom77 View Post

I had already taken a look at the school report/statistics on voiceofsandiego.org. Didn't look great compared to other middle schools in the district. Also, like I earlier mentioned, the school tour didn't leave a good impression. I am not denying the fact that it might be a good school, but most parents also want to have a good feel while on the campus. I thought a charter school would do a better job. And hence came the question.

I also want to apologize if I have hurt people with my comments about the school- that was definitely not my intention. I was only looking for recommendations. Like most other parents, I am only trying to give my kids the best I can afford. I am sure MOST people would understand/relate to my concerns-although not everyone in the district might be on this forum.
You might check this out. HIV/AIDS is becoming more common in Middle School and HS. I would check and see what info may be available.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/age/youth/index.html

In 2017, youth aged 13 to 24a made up 21% (8,164) of the 38,739 new HIV diagnosesb in the United States and dependent areas

Old 05-31-2019, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,335 times
NewGen - you do know a significant # of kids from La Costa go to... San Marcos ISD, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego