Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,977,387 times

Advertisements

I am about to have a new roof installed. I'm curious about venting. Many of my bids want to get rid of the twirly bird vents that I have on top of my roof and install O'Hagen style vents lower down the roof.

On the outside walls of my house, I have these vents located towards the top of the walls. What exactly are they? Is this where the air goes in and then exits out of the twirly birds? Apparently the O'Hagens replace the twirly birds, but they're going to be located on the lower parts of the roof, not towards the top ridge. What do I do about the warm air that collects towards the top ridge of the attic? Will the gable vents I have at each side of my house exhaust this hot air or do I need ridge vents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:39 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,544,941 times
On my last roof install (2010), I kept the twirly bird vent fans and added 'gable fans'. Gable fans look sort of like this (mine were professionally installed):
http://www.aconcordcarpenter.com/wp-...3/atticfan.jpg

I have the gable fans set to turn on @ 85 degrees. Since we have no central AC, the gable fans seem to keep the house a little cooler in the summer (or maybe it just feels cooler because I can hear them kick on).

My house also has similar vents to your edge vents. I'm not sure what O'Hagen fans are.

A 'whole house fan' is my next possibility. They really work great during certain times of the year.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:16 AM

673 posts, read 462,529 times
It is "impossible to cool an attic with little fans", turbine/whirling vents and rest. Imagine the square feet of the roof being heated by the sun. Now think of little fans trying to keep up with constant heating. It is a losing battle.
You need large fans moving huge amounts of air to be at least a little affective. The reality is the heat never stops during the day.

People never think about shading the roof from the sun during the summer. Think I'm crazy? We have proven it over in Arizona. But most people don't want sail shades attached to poles over the house regardless if it works or not.

When it is summer, and it's hot, where do you sit outside?.........in the shade. But people expect to cool a house by leaving it in the sun?.........it make no sense.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 PM

On another note, is it possible to add 3 tab shingles after the fact? I want to have my entire roof done in 3 tab shingles, minus the patio on the back since the shingles on the patio are relatively new. In the future, if I want to reroof the patio alone, will that be a possibility? See linked picture

Last edited by djxpress; 03-18-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 PM

1. Ask the roofing company how much extra the patio would cost when your roof is done.

2. I always have my roof stripped to the wood. In other words I don't shingle over old shingles. This way the wood can be inspected for termites. But that's me. Buy thirty to forty year shingles, it's worth it.
3. Yes, you can do your patio later but it would look better to have the same color shingles on all surfaces. .

Getting roofs done is not inexpensive like it used to be. Pay now, pay later. Get the good stuff.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:16 PM

36 posts, read 59,579 times
I know they do not allow eave vents (at least in my area) and believe the same goes for ridge vents. Many wildfires burn houses down because the embers are able to get into the attic thru these vents. I am putting in O'Hagen vents - they have a 1/8" x 1/8" screen which prevents the embers from getting in.
Don't know why they are only installing at the lower part of the roof...mine will be installed at the upper and the other half installed at the lower part.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 PM

So I have about 15 of the soffit type vents (or whatever they're called) located towards the top of the outside walls at the roofline, spaced about every 3-4 rafter tail. I assume this is where are intake occurs? Then the hot air exits at my 2 twirly birds spaced evenly towards the top of my roof?

What would be the point of putting in Ohagens close to the bottom of the roof line?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:14 PM

I built a place three years ago. I have the new style large exhaust vents near the peak. They are re-designed so that hot embers do not enter. Per building codes in San Diego County.

If you are concerned about under eve vents during a fire, I simply block mine off with underground pipe tape (much thicker than duct tape) then place duct tape over the pipeline tape so it stays put. When the danger is over from flying embers, I pull off the tapes.

Just an opinion....don't make me right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: