Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:11 PM

242 posts, read 251,344 times

Advertisements

We are okay living in a suburb as well up to 40 mins away.

Desires: nice 3+ bedroom home preferably 2000 or newer. 2-3 car garage. Decent schools

Budget: combined income of 240K, I have a little over 200K saved for a down payment not including my emergency fund and what not.

I have a home in Denver we are planning on renting out to a close friend. We’ll probably break even on it or make a small profit depending on what maintenance costs. (Mortgage is 1600, renting it out for 2100) Selling it is not an option, period.

I haven’t spent much time in SD, my wife wants to move to CA to be closer to her family in LA. I told her I’d consider SD since I want a buffer from her parents and I’m not that high on LA.

I love Denver since i’m huge into winter sports so leaving the front range is rough! That said I am looking forward to the weather, beaches and exploring a new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM

84 posts, read 88,236 times
Hi! Congrats on making the decision to move-- you will find this forum has a wealth of knowledge in order to help you!

Is location in San Diego a consideration due to jobs? Where in LA do you want to be closer to? Some parts can be easier and less traffic to get to than others North County San Diego may be what you are looking for just give yourself time to find the right location and then the right house. Inventory is tight and homes sell quickly but with a plan, you will be good to go!

Big Bear is close for skiing but for great skiing, you will have to get yourself up to Mammoth (about 6-7 hours north of SD).

Your trade off is the beach and summer sports! . Good luck!

Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
This thread from the archives might be a helpful read. In it, SD locals describe the areas they live in. It will give you a good overview of the many very nice places to live here in San Diego County.

What do you like about where you live in SD County?

San Diego Magazine also does an annual "best neighborhoods" issue that provides good snapshots of many different areas. The 2018 issue just came out. Here's the link: 31 Best Places to Live in San Diego - San Diego Magazine - March 2018 - San Diego, California

You can access the previous issues for the last few years in the archives on the site above, which will give you a wealth of information. The site also has a handy newcomers guide that you may want to tuck away for future reference.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-03-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
40 minute one-way commute to the San Diego city border is a huge swatch.
Perhaps, you can provide more specifics, maybe workplace sub-location if relevant.
Do you want to live near the beach with the decent schools?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:51 PM

242 posts, read 251,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
40 minute one-way commute to the San Diego city border is a huge swatch.
Perhaps, you can provide more specifics, maybe workplace sub-location if relevant.
Do you want to live near the beach with the decent schools?
Near the beach with decent schools would be ideal, but I’m sure those are probably million dollar homes

I work from home and my girlfriend can essentially transfer anywhere so location is not a concern.

Thanks for the advice and links to other threads guys !

Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
For starters, which of below do you seem to like and which do Not like, and why

Carmel Valley - newer suburb, all houses look the same, central location
Encinitas - coastal, east part like CV, west is older housing but maybe more $ since ocean
Carlsbad - coastal, newer
Mission Hills - older craftman californian style, closer to downtown but suburban feel
Poway - more inland, hotter climate, suburb

Old 04-03-2018, 06:40 PM

123 posts, read 169,716 times
Congrats! I'm also in Denver and hoping to make a move to SoCal eventually.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I haven’t spent much time in SD, my wife wants to move to CA to be closer to her family in LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I work from home and my girlfriend can essentially transfer anywhere so location is not a concern.
You have a wife and a girlfriend? How is that working out for all of you?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 AM

123 posts, read 169,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
3 incomes though!

Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Reminds me of the British Royal Navy toast: "To our wives and our girlfriends......may they never meet!"

Last edited by sprez33; 04-04-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego