Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:24 AM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Everyone on here keeps comparing San Diego or parts of San Diego County with South Florida, having lived there for a long time I can say there is no similarity, there is a beach, palm trees and that's about it, totally different vibe, climate and way of life.
Right, but the OP has said she's looking precisely for those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Still not sure why you’d want to leave, Southern California has pretty much everything on your list. Sometimes what you’re looking for is in your own backyard, you just can’t see it.

This has been an entertaining thread though. All these comparisons to San Diego is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I think I’ll stay right where I am at.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:53 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
This is actually a great recommendation. Everything you said about the weather is true, I don’t know about it being a perfect climate compared to here, but I’d take it in a heartbeat over every other place mentioned in this thread. Don’t forget you’re about an hour to Napa/Sonoma valley, and 2 hours from San Francisco as well. I spent a lot of time there visiting family growing up and found it boring as a kid, but could appreciate now as an adult.

I haven’t been in years, but it definitely had a different vibe than it’s costal neighbors in the Bay Area, or down here. Calling it a midwestern city plooped down in the Central Valley is pretty accurate.
Yes, perfect climate by comparison to all the other parts of the country. You can't beat San Diego climate. We are like 99th percentile. Sacramento is probably like 94th percentile. I would put places like Greenville at a mid-60s percentile. I'll take it any day over the Midwest or the Northeast, but it gets awfully sticky in summer and too cold for me in the winter.

Anyway, sounds like Sacramento isn't geographically located where the OP was looking for, so it's moot.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:24 PM

354 posts, read 385,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Still not sure why you’d want to leave, Southern California has pretty much everything on your list. Sometimes what you’re looking for is in your own backyard, you just can’t see it.

This has been an entertaining thread though. All these comparisons to San Diego is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I think I’ll stay right where I am at.
San Diego has been great in many aspects. But, here is why I think I want to go somewhere else.

From a day to day perspective:
As soon as i got back into San Diego from my traveling for 2 weeks, I could see how hectic it is. I live in OB and I'm surrounded by homeless people, tweakers, tourists, crazy dogs, the slew of east county people who come in to dog beach on the weekend, etc. (Nothing wrong with east county, just an observation). I hear people honking their horns on the freeway and around town, I hear the firetrucks at least once every few days when I'm home and the motorcyclists go by revving their engines and setting off 4 different car alarms.

Not to mention the vaping that has literally overtaken san Diego. Kids, adults, degenerates and soccer moms alike...all vaping huge clouds of smoke all over the place.

In a general perspective-
Rent is high and I live in a tiny little apartment with no patio or outside space. I've looked in other places in san Diego and rent is still high. The places are tiny and unkept because landlords know they can get that much for their rental.

Traffic is heavy. It may not be gridlock like in some other places, but its heavy, period. There are a ton of people in this city.

I haven't made too many solid friendships here, at all. There are several reasons for this but this is my reality. All my friends, my TRUE friends, are in Ohio.

The people seem more materialistic and everyone says they're so laid back but really, I think its laziness. The partying vibe is big here and I'm not into that. All the friends I made when I first moved here were mutual friends thru my relationship and they all did hard drugs at parties. I just dont want to be around people like that. It seems that the majority of the "fun" people have around here is getting effed up.

Cost of living is too high for the value I'm receiving. I dont need to be in the 99 percentile of weather. I honestly dont consider san Diego weather to be that amazing. I want rain. And humidity. And sometimes I even want it to be a little warmer!! San Diego is very mild. If that is what you want, then it rates 99 percentile percentile for that.

I cant get ahead in this city. There is no hope of me owning a house here, and the majority of men I meet have family on the west coast. I have one failed relationship under my belt in this regard- finding a place to live that will serve 2 families on opposite coasts is hard and I dont even want to open up that can of worms with some dude's mom. Ideally I would meet someone and his family would be on the same coast or in the midwest like mine to make visits and caring for aging parents easier down the road. 6 hrs by car is much different than 6 hrs by plane.

I desperately miss seeing green and seeing some open space.

That is basically it in a nutshell.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
San Diego has been great in many aspects. But, here is why I think I want to go somewhere else.

As soon as i got back into San Diego from my traveling for 2 weeks, I could see how hectic it is. I live in OB and I'm surrounded by homeless people, tweakers, tourists, crazy dogs, the slew of east county people who come in to dog beach on the weekend, etc. (Nothing wrong with east county, just an observation). I hear people honking their horns on the freeway and around town, I hear the firetrucks at least once every few days when I'm home and the motorcyclists go by revving their engines and setting off 4 different car alarms.

Not to mention the vaping that has literally overtaken san Diego. Kids, adults, degenerates and soccer moms alike...all vaping huge clouds of smoke all over the place.

Rent is high and I live in a tiny little apartment with no patio or outside space. I've looked in other places in san Diego and rent is still high. The places are tiny and unkept because landlords know they can get that much for their rental.

Traffic is heavy. It may not be gridlock like in some other places, but its heavy, period. There are a ton of people in this city.

I haven't made too many solid friendships here, at all. There are several reasons for this but this is my reality. All my friends, my TRUE friends, are in Ohio.

The people seem more materialistic and everyone says they're so laid back but really, I think its laziness. The partying vibe is big here and I'm not into that. All the friends I made when I first moved here were mutual friends thru my relationship and they all did hard drugs at parties. I just dont want to be around people like that. It seems that the majority of the "fun" people have around here is getting effed up.

Cost of living is too high for the value I'm receiving. I dont need to be in the 99 percentile of weather. I honestly dont consider san Diego weather to be that amazing. I want rain. And humidity. And sometimes I even want it to be a little warmer!! San Diego is very mild. If that is what you want, then it rates 99 percentile percentile for that.

I cant get ahead in this city. There is no hope of me owning a house here, and the majority of men I meet have family on the west coast. I have one failed relationship under my belt in this regard- finding a place to live that will serve 2 families on opposite coasts is hard and I dont even want to open up that can of worms with some dude's mom. Ideally I would meet someone and his family would be on the same coast or in the midwest like mine to make visits and caring for aging parents easier down the road. 6 hrs by car is much different than 6 hrs by plane.

Well, you seem sure of what you want...and It doesn't sound like San Diego! It was John L.B. Soule who wrote the phrase, "Go West Young Man!" I'm going To flip It and say "Go East Young Lady!" The southeast in particular.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:18 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:

When I left people thought I was crazy too. I got a lot of the same types of responses. Some people just can't understand or see that San Diego is not for everyone, no matter how great it is. And whatever reasons you have are valid because they're YOUR reasons, it's your life and that's all that matters.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Quote:

This is pretty insightful and spot on. When I read this, it gave me the heebies remembering how hectic things were and how the quietness, even in O'Side, had pretty much gone away.

THIS!!!! And the cig smoke. It was getting so bad in Oceanside, you couldn't be outside at a park and expect to breathe fresh clean air. Thankfully the Harbor police enforced the law on the beach pretty heavily, but in the parks, forget it.

Rent is high and I live in a tiny little apartment with no patio or outside space. I've looked in other places in San Diego and rent is still high. The places are tiny and unkept because landlords know they can get that much for their rental.

This is exactly right as well....and the irony is, don't we live in SD County to enjoy being out side? Well you can't because there is nowhere outside to be without the above of noise, smoke, loudness, rude behavior, etc.....

This is a huge one also. No matter how great is might be where you reside, community is everythign and SD County is HUGELY lacking in this regard

The people seem more materialistic and everyone says they're so laid back but really, I think its laziness.

This made me laugh out loud, but again, spot on and great insight. My friends bailed when I quit thinking surfing and smoking dope all the live long day was a good life. I love surfing, but I like working too. My "community" was no real community at all. Just a bunch of choads trying to be so cool, you didn't even know how cool they were (said sarcastically of course).

The partying vibe is big here and I'm not into that. All the friends I made when I first moved here were mutual friends thru my relationship and they all did hard drugs at parties. I just dont want to be around people like that. It seems that the majority of the "fun" people have around here is getting effed up.

YUP....truth

Again, a huge problem that won't change, especially now that foreign investors are buying up neighborhoods and raising prices even higher

I cant get ahead in this city. There is no hope of me owning a house here, and the majority of men I meet have family on the west coast.

Who can unless you have a six figure income...and most of us do not have that.

My responses in bold. Great insight as to the truth of SD County and what it's like.

Last edited by BBslider001; 05-10-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 09:52 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:

Seems a lot of these aspects are particular to OB, as the demographic there is a younger, party-oriented one. And it looks like you've outgrown that place. Now if you wanted to stay in the area, have you considered other neighborhoods in San Diego county?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 AM

To stablegenius and bbslider- yes!! I know many wont understand but the ones that do agree with me on so much. Some people see it and others dont. I just know time!!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Seems a lot of these aspects are particular to OB, as the demographic there is a younger, party-oriented one. And it looks like you've outgrown that place. Now if you wanted to stay in the area, have you considered other neighborhoods in San Diego county?
Yes I have, and if I was planning on staying for a year or longer, I would be moving to a different area.

But there are many of these qualities that I see all around san diego, not just limited to OB and that is why I want to leave.

The cost of living doesn't change, the traffic gets even worse, and people are pretty much the same everywhere here (in general). The weather gets even worse in other less populated areas.

It's all a trade off but I know long term i dont want to be here so I figure why not get settled somewhere else SOONER rather than later?

The nature of my job means that the longer I stay in one place, the more commission I get (generally). Whenever I move I start from scratch in terms of earning commission with developing projects so i would rather start from scratch at 29 than in my 30s in that regard. Once I hit the 1 year mark, things start flowing and building.

It's difficult for me to think of all the work I'm doing now with my projects and accounts...being all for naught 1 year or 8 months down the road. When these projects come to close (and the commission payout!!) I will be gone and won't receive it

In other news, I've decided to target Feb 2019 as my moving date!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego