Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
University City 4 16.67%
Carmel Valley 4 16.67%
Encinitas 14 58.33%
Other 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:53 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times

Advertisements

I am getting a job transfer to the San Diego area from the Bay Area with the goal to move our family toward the end of this year and buy a house. Budget is probably 900k to 1m. The job is in Sorrento Valley, though in a few years its likely I could move on to another job, so short commute is great but not required.

That said I don't like long commutes / lots of traffic in general. We also like more moderate climate (i.e. closer to the ocean), and my wife would like some jewish community (synagogue / preschool).

So from that it seems that these 3 options may fit the best. I was wondering what you thought of each, pros/cons as I don't know the area well. All seem to have good schools. We have 2 young daughters. We like good ethnic cuisine options (not an SD strong point I've read), good playgrounds and outdoor activities. (I love to cycle hills and trail run so that is a bonus).

University City - pros seems to be maybe best location in terms of being the least traffic to get anywhere in commute hours (i.e. I could get to most places in San Diego in ~ 30 minutes). Close to mall which I don't care about, but maybe more restaurant options. Close to Sorrento Valley. Houses are a bit cheaper than the other two it seems.

Cons - maybe too close to a lot of highways -> worse air quality? Going to buy an "older" house built in late 60's which may or may not be to our liking (good interior design, lots of windows).

Carmel Valley - pros = newer houses. Decent commuting traffic.

Cons - less restaurant options, houses too cookie cutter and more expensive.

Encinitas - pros = newer houses a bit cheaper than Carmel Valley, I've heard downtown Encinitas is nice so I assume decent food options.

Cons - worst commuting of the 3 by far I think. Only would be good if we ever had a job in Carlsbad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:08 PM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
Forget the food thing. You can always drive to food. It's all about the real estate. Where high priced property is the schools will be better for the kidletts.

The upside to University City is more Jewish influence west of the 805.

The "only downside" to Encinitas is the price of housing for those who want the good life. The sheet is expensive. And, we are getting more and more money moving down here (Encinitas) from L.A. The crime is getting bad up there while the Sheriff takes care of business down here.

If it were me, I look in Encinitas four miles in. This way you are minutes to the water, shopping, food, Home Depot.
Look on the map at El Camino Real...........there is everything anyone could want in the way of store.
Cook at home..........you will be better off.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I agree with most of what you wrote except for the crime part. The crime is getting bad in Encinitas? It is? News to me, and I live here.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
University City is closer to the Convoy area of Kearny Mesa and all of the ethnic cuisine located there. And just closer to central SD in general and the greater diversity versus North County.

Freeways tend to be dropped into canyons, like the 52 for example, versus being directly adjacent to homes compared to how a lot are like in the Bay Area generally speaking. I think it helps mitigate noise and pollution somewhat.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 PM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
Brother Axxlrod. You may need to re-read what I wrote about crime. It's in L.A not here in Encinitas. Or, maybe I didn't write correctly. I'm happy to stand corrected.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:24 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I would prefer Encinitas but it would really come down to the specific house / block etc. For 900k I would not want to compromise too much on location or schools and there are so few homes for sale in nice areas.

Commuting from anywhere to Sorrento valley 9-5 sucks. But it is really not going to be that bad if you can stagger your day a bit or have flexibility coming / going / WFH etc. Everyone is aware of traffic and very few people reasonably can afford to live in that area so employers of tech workers tend to be a bit more forgiving.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 05-15-2018 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 PM

84 posts, read 88,117 times
IMHO, all of the areas mentioned as options are good areas but I also think that they are vastly different from each other in terms of where they are located and what they offer.
If I may ask, what is the priority? Commute? Any of those work-- commute time, unless off normal work hours, is rough however there is a bit of public transport or vanpool/carpool options that you may help you out.

Budget? Encinitas will be a bit harder to get into but it is doable if you give yourself enough time to look and yes, downtown Encinitas is eclectic, fun and offers great food, shopping, activities and of course, the beach!

Weather? Anything inland will give you much warmer temps (even a few miles can mean a 10-15 degree increase/drop) so just make sure you have air conditioning (haha) but access to the beach is not too bad and there are some pockets of restaurants and activites/fun things to do.

We moved from the Bay Area so I understand what you are gong through--- in any case, inventory is low and the market is hot so just give yourself plenty of time to locate a home within your desired area! Good luck! We will see you when you get here

Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anita house View Post
IMHO, all of the areas mentioned as options are good areas but I also think that they are vastly different from each other in terms of where they are located and what they offer.
If I may ask, what is the priority? Commute? Any of those work-- commute time, unless off normal work hours, is rough however there is a bit of public transport or vanpool/carpool options that you may help you out.

Budget? Encinitas will be a bit harder to get into but it is doable if you give yourself enough time to look and yes, downtown Encinitas is eclectic, fun and offers great food, shopping, activities and of course, the beach!

Weather? Anything inland will give you much warmer temps (even a few miles can mean a 10-15 degree increase/drop) so just make sure you have air conditioning (haha) but access to the beach is not too bad and there are some pockets of restaurants and activites/fun things to do.

We moved from the Bay Area so I understand what you are gong through--- in any case, inventory is low and the market is hot so just give yourself plenty of time to locate a h'tome within your desired area! Good luck! We will see you when you get here

I just don't want horrible commute. 35-40 minutes maximum I think. I commute about this time right now and it is acceptable enough, but don't want to go any longer. Southern Encinitas looks like it would be fine. If we lived there, I guess I would never seek a job further south than UTC as it would be too long (not sure where all the jobs are outside of Sorrento valley).

Budget honestly depends if my wife can get a job down here before we move (or can "telecommute" temporarily) so we can get a bigger mortgage. If I can add her salary, probably could afford 1.2m which is I think more than enough for these areas. So, "stretching" to 1m or above is not a problem, its just about the mortgage options we can be approved for on one salary.

Weather, I think we prefer cooler, but if there's AC, not a big deal.

I guess I'm not really answering what the single priority is. I don't know!

Let me ask, what reasons do people prefer Encinitas to University City. Vice versa?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:47 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I am getting a job transfer to the San Diego area from the Bay Area with the goal to move our family toward the end of this year and buy a house. Budget is probably 900k to 1m. The job is in Sorrento Valley, though in a few years its likely I could move on to another job, so short commute is great but not required.

That said I don't like long commutes / lots of traffic in general. We also like more moderate climate (i.e. closer to the ocean), and my wife would like some jewish community (synagogue / preschool).

So from that it seems that these 3 options may fit the best. I was wondering what you thought of each, pros/cons as I don't know the area well. All seem to have good schools. We have 2 young daughters. We like good ethnic cuisine options (not an SD strong point I've read), good playgrounds and outdoor activities. (I love to cycle hills and trail run so that is a bonus).

University City - pros seems to be maybe best location in terms of being the least traffic to get anywhere in commute hours (i.e. I could get to most places in San Diego in ~ 30 minutes). Close to mall which I don't care about, but maybe more restaurant options. Close to Sorrento Valley. Houses are a bit cheaper than the other two it seems.

Cons - maybe too close to a lot of highways -> worse air quality? Going to buy an "older" house built in late 60's which may or may not be to our liking (good interior design, lots of windows).

Carmel Valley - pros = newer houses. Decent commuting traffic.

Cons - less restaurant options, houses too cookie cutter and more expensive.

Encinitas - pros = newer houses a bit cheaper than Carmel Valley, I've heard downtown Encinitas is nice so I assume decent food options.

Cons - worst commuting of the 3 by far I think. Only would be good if we ever had a job in Carlsbad.
FWIW, I've been commuting from Encinitas to the Sorrento Valley/UTC area for many years. It's not that bad, as long as you can get in early. I work a 7:30 am to 4:30 shift. It takes me 20-25 minutes to get here in the morning. Now, getting home, north on the 805 to the 5, that depends. It can take 30 minutes and it can take 45 minutes, but rarely longer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego