Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about May Gray / June Gloom
Don't Like it, depressing. 27 35.53%
I like it. 32 42.11%
I don't care either way. 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Aw, it's nice that you have time to roam around the county on weekdays like that. Glad we're all just a bunch of whiny jerks because we have actual jobs and commutes and such
My first job was making pies at 12 years old. And for the next 53 years, I worked and worked and worked. Lots of death-march projects. Lots of red-eye and weekend flights too. At one point, I was platinum status on three airlines. I earned my time off. However, my pansy-ass weather complaints are a recent acquisition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Aw, it's nice that you have time to roam around the county on weekdays like that. Glad we're all just a bunch of whiny jerks because we have actual jobs and commutes and such
I have all that and more, but that’s really not the issue. There’s always time if it’s important enough, and don’t forget it doesn’t get dark until after 8pm this time of the year.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Good one malcorub. While the politicians in Washington banter, Wall St nervousness about quarterly dividends, none compares to the depth and intensity on polarizing topics such as May Gray/ June Gloom in San Diego.

Been here 15 years, having lived in the high desert, east county and complete, all day coastal coverage of said May Gray/June Gloom.

In terms of preference, I really miss the inland mix of may gray in the morning with a burn off around 10am and plenty of sunshine all day, until the marine layer rolls back in.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I have all that and more, but that’s really not the issue. There’s always time if it’s important enough, and don’t forget it doesn’t get dark until after 8pm this time of the year.
Yeah, I mean, I have the luxury of not having kids or a family to take care of after work, So nobody cares if I get home at 8:30 pm after leaving my house at 6:45 in the morning. Plus I work in Escondido and live in San Diego so there's plenty of opportunity for me to hit up Iron Mountain or wherever on my way home and get some sunshine in even after being at the office for 10 hours- but not everyone has that lifestyle or that much freedom with their time.

But still- the cloudy mornings still make it incredibly difficult to get out of bed sometimes- I'm just wired like that. Basically I don't much care for this sort of weather even though I make every effort to escape it when I can.

Besides, this entire thread was asking people how they feel about the May Grey/June Gloom. No reason to give folks a hard time for answering honestly.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:17 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Good one malcorub. While the politicians in Washington banter, Wall St nervousness about quarterly dividends, none compares to the depth and intensity on polarizing topics such as May Gray/ June Gloom in San Diego.
Who would've thought the topic would evoke such strong feelings and cause division amongst the forum.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:01 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,068,392 times
The sun is out today!!! The universe has smiled upon us. Puttin on my biking shorts and heading down to Spanish Landing.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:29 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I hate it and am ready for it to warm up again. Thank goodness the sun came out at the end of the day yesterday. I was getting ready to lose it! haha

The article in the U-T about it being cloudy for 74 straight hours reminds us about how spoiled we are.....

As of 5 p.m. Monday, San Diego International Airport had been cloudy or mostly cloudy for 74 straight hours. And there’s no break in sight, says the National Weather Service.

But that doesn’t mean we’re close to breaking the record for ‘May Gray’ weather.

San Diego experienced 213 consecutive hours of cloudy or mostly weather (8 days, 21 hours) in June 1982. It experienced 188 hours of the meteorological blahs in 1987, 180 hours in 2010, 177 hours in 2007, and and 145 hours in 2009.

Said another way, San Diego is only one-third of the way to breaking the record for the cloudiest period on record. Not that we want to go there.

“The marine layer could stay this way until Sunday or Monday (Memorial Day weekend),” said Brett Albright, a forecaster with the National Weather Service in Rancho Bernardo.

NOOOO! San Diego has been cloudy for 74 straight hours, and 'May Gray' could last several more days - The San Diego Union-Tribune
It's a different world when 74 hours worth of cloudy weather makes the news

We've been too warm (upper 70's) here for this time of year so I'll be happy to send some it your way!

I would probably cry if I only got 74 straight cloudy hours, lol. I'm used to living places where I have 220+ cloudy days a year.

Enjoy your sun & I'm going to enjoy the clouds we have today.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:08 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
It gets hot and muggy in August. Did I say it’s as bad as on the East Coast? Nope.
Nope. San Diego has absolutely no humidity. 0% all year, lol

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
lol
The cloudy gloom in SEA (of SEAandATL) lasts 6 months (November-April) but no frigid yes moderate weather

Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Looking forward to this weekend......

And in case you're wondering, they are predicting an above average season for hurricanes in the Eastern Pacific this year. I'm hoping it means warm water temps in the coming months.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...lones/70004942
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego