Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 26,532 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live w/ our 2yr old in Midtown Manhattan. We're considering having another child and the idea of settling down in SD seems appealing. We are planning a trip there 12/29-1/8 to take our 1st look. We'd appreciate any comments you have about the idea. Here are some specific areas we are wondering about:

Visiting:
We plan to stay at the Poway Ramada the 10 days we are there. Is there anything you recommend we do while in Poway and SD in general that would give us a feel for what it would be like to live in the area? Anything otherwise that is a must do in SD as a tourist?

Poway:
Everything I see on the internet seems to say that Poway is a great place to settle down and raise a family. In fact, the only real negative I have come across is the possibility of a repeat of the 2003 cedar fire. Are there other negatives that I am missing? Commute time, etc?

Other Communities:
Besides Poway, Carlsbad and Encinitas seem like good candidates as well, but more expensive and with lower school rankings. Any other ideas/comments?

Cost of living:
Any comments?
We are a year or two off from making a move and I guess we would rent to start out with. I hear that SD is expensive, but from what I can tell prices seem lower than in the NY region. Taxes are lower as well I think.

Work:
Are there any industries/companies that you would recommend focusing on for a job search?
We are both MBA's w/ 8 yrs of work experience. I'm in IT project management and my wife is in marketing research.

Crime/Immigration:
I've noticed some negative posts about the immigration situation in SD on this board. Is this a big current/potential concern among SD residents? I am thinking of picking up Victor Davis Hanson's book, "Mexifornia" to read up on the subject.
Has anyone read that book or would like to offer any comments?

Other research:
I have google email alerts that email me daily w/ news events from Poway and SD. We've subscribed to San Diego Magazine, even rented The Anchorman with Will Farrell. Are there any other books/webpages/etc that you would suggest for learning about the area?

Thanks everyone. We appreciate any comments you may have.

And Go Chargers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 PM

39 posts, read 223,070 times
Being a resident of San Diego currently and originally from NYC, I can tell you that IMO everything is cheaper here.

I am only here 3 months, however I noticed gas is the same price, food is the same price, rent is much cheaper. Car insurance is much much cheaper, and so is health insurance. Utility bills are also a lot cheaper being that I will barely use my a/c or heat, I just open the window or throw a log in the fireplace.

If you do a search on the board you will find a lot of great information posted by others who have asked the same questions as yourself.

Good luck to you

(just a quick search turned up these-- http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...earchid=277018 )

Old 12-13-2006, 01:48 PM

22 posts, read 71,687 times
Same here..I live in Central Jersey and I'm seriously considering the move to Poway. I've been to SD a couple of times and my wife visited there a couple of months ago.

What's a good strategy to find work for an IT consultant? Are there any local SD job sites or do you just look for jobs on Monster, Dice etc? Do you initially interview over the phone and then make a trip down there to finalize things..or do you just quit your current job, rent an apartment in SD and go about finding work? I haven't made such a major move yet, so I'm a little apprehensive...

cheers, Deep

Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeep View Post
Same here..I live in Central Jersey and I'm seriously considering the move to Poway. I've been to SD a couple of times and my wife visited there a couple of months ago.

What's a good strategy to find work for an IT consultant? Are there any local SD job sites or do you just look for jobs on Monster, Dice etc? Do you initially interview over the phone and then make a trip down there to finalize things..or do you just quit your current job, rent an apartment in SD and go about finding work? I haven't made such a major move yet, so I'm a little apprehensive...

cheers, Deep
h ttp://c a r e er s.sign o n sandiego.c o m /in dex.cfm

No spaces

Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 PM

22 posts, read 71,687 times
Thank you, EquityTrader!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeep View Post
Thank you, EquityTrader!

welcome..... good luck to you

Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 PM

85 posts, read 505,347 times
First you might want to reconsider the hotel, it isn't very nice, I drive by it usually twice a week and it seems really run down. Just a thought.

Poway is typically chosen due to schools as it is noted as a good school area, so if that is a consideration it is a good choice. It is an inland location, so it gets hotter than a lot of other places in San Diego. Over 100 is not uncommon in the summer (but of course, low humidity compared to NY). Poway is somewhat centrally located for jobs so that is a plus.

SD houses are expensive, but wages are lower here than NY. So even though it might be less than NY more than likely your overall standard of living will be lower as well. Mostly this applies to buying a house, if you are renting it is far more reasonable.

I would highly recommend getting a job lined up first if at all possible. That way, if your job is in Carlsbad for example you have the chance to live closer. The commute from Poway to Carlsbad is not great.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 AM

13 posts, read 41,327 times
Search for real estate in San Diego and Poway on a great website Carlsbad, CA Search Homes For Sale - High Bluff Realty Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego