Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Ya, me neither

https://www.sandiego.gov/fire/safety/tips/fireworks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Like, I get that you have the "screw 'society' because they're not me or my family" thing goin' on, but we live in a place where it doesn't take much to start huge-*ss fires, even if you think you're being careful, even if you think you know what you're doing, blah blah blah.... So yeah, I'm going to ask you nicely to please turn those in, for everyone's sake.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Like, I get that you have the "screw 'society' because they're not me or my family" thing goin' on, but we live in a place where it doesn't take much to start huge-*ss fires, even if you think you're being careful, even if you think you know what you're doing, blah blah blah.... So yeah, I'm going to ask you nicely to please turn those in, for everyone's sake.
I don't buy the hysterical overreaction that a handful of small fireworks in my back yard are going to somehow burn down the world.

It's one thing to ban mortars and other flaming objects that fly into the sky. It's another to ban just about everything. And it's yet another thing to ban things that are perfectly OK just a few miles away in the exact same climate.

So, no... this weekend, we'll be driving back down through Orange County, and will be stopping at a fireworks stand. You might want to start wringing your underpants now.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I don't buy the hysterical overreaction that a handful of small fireworks in my back yard are going to somehow burn down the world.
Except it's not a hysterical overreaction, really.

Quote:
It's one thing to ban mortars and other flaming objects that fly into the sky. It's another to ban just about everything. And it's yet another thing to ban things that are perfectly OK just a few miles away in the exact same climate.
Well, I mean, sparklers, sure. Even *I* like sparklers. But even bottle rockets have the potential to fly in unexpected directions. Anything that can even remotely possibly get out of control and drop sparks someplace they shouldn't be though? Nah.

Quote:
So, no... this weekend, we'll be driving back down through Orange County, and will be stopping at a fireworks stand. You might want to start wringing your underpants now.
OK, have fun with that. I won't be wringing anything, but if you enjoy imagining that sort of thing I guess go for it.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I didn't get any this year cause I'll be in Maui watching theirs

Old 06-18-2018, 02:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
I learned my lesson a few years ago when I first moved into East County. My ex neighbors got really upset with me for setting off roman candles (these send colorful sparks into the air) even on a wet and misty day, people in the foothills are really paranoid about brush fires and rightfully so considering many perished the Cedar Fires.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:

It’s easy to be flippant when you haven’t been affected by a fire. Typical “all about me” mentality.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Something deliciously ironic about celebrating "Freedom" with a laundry list of prohibitions, laws, bans, and restrictions.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Something deliciously ironic about celebrating "Freedom" with a laundry list of prohibitions, laws, bans, and restrictions.

Well if it weren't for people insisting that their 'freedom' to light fireworks in a hugely fire-prone county in the middle of July is more important than say, not accidentally starting a fire that could impact thousands of people, we wouldn't *need* those regulations. Because those people are NEVER the kind of people who say "you know what? This is potentially damaging to my neighbors, my community, my entire region, so I'll just skip it for the sake of everyone else".

Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,068,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Well if it weren't for people insisting that their 'freedom' to light fireworks in a hugely fire-prone county in the middle of July is more important than say, not accidentally starting a fire that could impact thousands of people, we wouldn't *need* those regulations. Because those people are NEVER the kind of people who say "you know what? This is potentially damaging to my neighbors, my community, my entire region, so I'll just skip it for the sake of everyone else".

PREACH!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: