Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,828,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Ok fine, but what about everyting else people come to San Diego for?

Balboa Park
The Zoo
Sea World
La Jolla
Belmont Park
Mission Bay
-sailing
-paddle boarding
-the boardwalk
-sport fishing day boats
Coronado
Cabrillo Monument
Old town
The Nightlife
Downtown
-gaslamp quarter
-harbor excursions
-uss midway / maritime museum
-Padre games
-little Italy
-theater, ballet, symphony
Mexico

I can go on but you get my point. I get you love north county, you wear it in your name, but you cannot possibly think it’s a better place to stay for the typical vacationer that wants to get out and do things.

With the exception of Coronado and Mexico, all these are either in/next to MB/PB, a short car ride, or even a ride share that won’t break the bank, away. Driving back and forth, especially in traffic, from north county would get old quickly.

For the record, unless you’re taking your kids down Garnet Ave, or a small strip of the boardwalk at night, PB is a perfectly fine place for families. There’s no shortage of them living, and vacationing, here year round. Families playing on the sand outnumber everyone else in the summer since they banned drinking a decade ago.
Do you have kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,415,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ye_ye View Post
All this is great discussion and suggestions. Thank you. I don't think MB/PB appeal to me much, I don't want to stay in Encinitas again because I am deliberately trying to experience another part of the county, so I'm most likely going to try to stay in La Jolla Shores or some part of La Jolla.
La Jolla shores is a great choice. The waves are really gentle there, perfect for kids. I wouldn’t stay in the village as the beaches aren’t really accessible. I don’t know your budget, but a vacation rental around windansea is a great option too. There’s a couple hotels in the area, but they’re on La Jolla Blvd, and kinda old. The only knock about La Jolla is the traffic in and out off the 5, but I wouldn’t let that stop me from staying there.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Do you have kids?
I haven’t started on my own yet, but I have two school aged nephews born and raised in La Jolla that I’ve been a huge part of their lives since birth. I’m much closer to them than their father in many regards. Why does this matter to you? It has zero to do with the fact north county isn’t the ideal spot to stay while on vacation in San Diego.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,528,762 times
Mission Bay.

Has plenty of airbnb properties. Or the Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay:

San Diego Hotels | Catamaran Resort and Spa San Diego, CA

Old 06-19-2018, 02:34 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,558,056 times
I'd suggest staying on Coronado. It will give you a little different taste of a San Diego area beach community than the North Coastal areas, and put you close to things like the Zoo, Balboa Park, North Park/South Park, Little Italy, etc. Coronado is also very walkable and family friendly.

But if you really want to experience a "different part" of San Diego, take a day and get away from the coast entirely. Try a trip to Julian or Palomar Mountain, perhaps stopping at a winery or two (or three) in Ramona on the way.

Whatever you decide, have a fun vacation!

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-19-2018 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I haven’t started on my own yet, but I have two school aged nephews born and raised in La Jolla that I’ve been a huge part of their lives since birth. I’m much closer to them than their father in many regards. Why does this matter to you? It has zero to do with the fact north county isn’t the ideal spot to stay while on vacation in San Diego.
I assume you live in La Jolla?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I assume you live in La Jolla?
Why does it matter where I live? Like my last response to you about having kids, it has nothing to do with the fact north county isn’t the ideal spot to stay while on vacation in San Diego. If you must know I’ve lived in Pacific Beach, and Mission Beach before that, for the last 20+ years. I’ve been in San Diego since the 1st grade, if that matters to you as well.

If you read through any of my posts where it’s pertinent you’ll know I’m a big fan of north county, I grew up there. Just because of that I’m not gonna say how it’s the end all for everything, that would be ridiculous. I feel it would be a disservice to someone coming on this forum who wants to experience things in central San Diego to say stay in north county.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter where I live? Like my last response to you about having kids, it has nothing to do with the fact north county isn’t the ideal spot to stay while on vacation in San Diego. If you must know I’ve lived in Pacific Beach, and Mission Beach before that, for the last 20+ years. I’ve been in San Diego since the 1st grade, if that matters to you as well.

If you read through any of my posts where it’s pertinent you’ll know I’m a big fan of north county, I grew up there. Just because of that I’m not gonna say how it’s the end all for everything, that would be ridiculous. I feel it would be a disservice to someone coming on this forum who wants to experience things in central San Diego to say stay in north county.
Just trying to get to know you and get where you're coming from. No need to unload on me, ok? I don't think I ever said North County was the "end all be all" of anything, so not sure how that got into your head. Just to recap: The OP said she loved Encinitas last time. She then said she wanted to switch it up and experience something different. So I said stay in PB or North Park. So far, so good. Then you jumped in saying that there's no good reason to stay in North County with kids, to which point, I said well, there's actually a lot of reasons. And here we are. Hope you have a great day.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Just trying to get to know you and get where you're coming from. No need to unload on me, ok? I don't think I ever said North County was the "end all be all" of anything, so not sure how that got into your head. Just to recap: The OP said she loved Encinitas last time. She then said she wanted to switch it up and experience something different. So I said stay in PB or North Park. So far, so good. Then you jumped in saying that there's no good reason to stay in North County with kids, to which point, I said well, there's actually a lot of reasons. And here we are. Hope you have a great day.
Fair enough man. Didn’t realize I was unloading on you, just didn’t understand all the personal questions. No hard feelings, take care

Old 06-19-2018, 06:46 PM

18 posts, read 16,628 times
Thank you both and everyone for trying to help. I really do appreciate it. Yes I really enjoyed Encinitas. I think it's a perfect place to raise a family. I've been to San Diego a few times before but on my recent trip didn't go to Gaslamp, Coronado, and mostly hung out in idyllic Encinitas. I want to be open to other neighborhoods if I ever make a move out here. I'm used to more of a city life, and not a suburban one. So I think it's worth checking out more urban areas too. We're staying in La Jolla Shores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego