Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:40 PM

10 posts, read 6,910 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Southern California from the east coast in a few years. I’m a therapist and he works in heating and cooling. People have warned me that the market in CA is oversatuarated with therapists. Of course it’s also oversaturated where we are now too, so I’m ready for that battle. I’m even more concerned about his finding work, as the weather is so favorable. How far inland does this change? I imagine there are still commercial heating/cooling needs. He has other mechanical skills, so I’m wondering if he should diversify in preparation.

Go ahead, I’m ready for the discouraging news...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 10:54 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
There is use of a lot of air conditioning. Once you get 10 miles inland, it's pretty much a modern necessity. Between the 3 mile to 10 mile marker, it's a welcomed modern convenience. Overall, the demand for HVAC labor may be less for the population density, but it's hard to know if the supply of techs meets that need or if we are in surplus.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
What therapist license do you hold? California has very strict licensing board requirements and you may need additional classes.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:59 AM

Thank you both for your responses.

Kettlepot, you give me hope.

Nightlysparrow~ Right now I’m equivalent to MFT Associate. I’m aware that CA has some of the most unique licensing requirements and I’ve been keeping up with the BBS. I’ve kept the CA guidelines in mind throughout my schooling, internship, and practice and have been diligent about keeping records. I have a list of the additional classes I’ll need. By the time we move out there I’ll have all of the hours needed for licensure. I’m also working toward AASECT certification. The best resource I have is my colleague who just moved to CA (similar situation- she held off on getting a license here and is in the process of applying for licensure in CA). She’s the guinea pig!

Of course, I’m also considering phD programs but that’s a whole other bag of worms.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Remember, too, Calla Lilly, that San Diego County is very large - nearly 4300 square miles. And there are many microclimates as well as elevations that range from about 6500 feet down to the desert areas in the 500 foot range. So I'd think there would be a need for HVAC techs across the county. Whether the need would coincide with the areas you'd like to live in may be another story. I know nothing about the job market for HVAC techs so I'm no help there.

I hope you can make it work out if San Diego County is where your heart is. I'm a third generation San Diegan and it will always be home to me. It's a wonderful place. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM

I appreciate your encouragement, movinon. I would definitely say San Diego feels right every time I’ve been there, but we will also explore other west coast locations. I’ve been in SD for several weeks at a time at various times of year, and I never remember feeling uncomfortably hot or colder than what a sweatshirt or thick blanket can alleviate. Then again, the farthest west I’ve stayed is North Park...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Your Husband should have no problem finding a Job as a HVAC field here in San Diego.
There huge demand heating & Air Repair guys here in San Diego. He will have to probably pay the, "Sunshine Tax" for the first couple of years here until finds a good HVAC Employer or start his own Business.

I just googled HVAC Jobs San Diego and pick out this one.
https://www.sdccdjobs.com/postings/9683

Old 06-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Thanks, Hitman. It’s good to have an actual example of a job listing to put things into perspective. I’m excited to let him know that there are possibilities.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 PM

Oh yeah. He can’t speak Spanish. Will that be a problem?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla Lily View Post
Oh yeah. He can’t speak Spanish. Will that be a problem?
Nope!He'll eventually learn the same broken Spanish that the rest of us Gringo's speak here in San Diego.

Mucho Gusto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego