Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:06 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times

Advertisements

Just humor me. I've driven through and shopped in Oceanside for a good part of my life. I can believe that the area has its share of illegal drug use and sale, or even a few violent crimes and murders among people who know each other. Basically the same for all of San Diego, despite being a relatively safe county.

But is there anything to suggest there's an organized criminal underbelly like the series is trying to sell? If you're not familiar with Animal Kingdom, it's basically about a family in Oceanside that's responsible for a crime wave of larceny and assaults and other nasty stuff. That's never been the picture I had of Oceanside, and I can't take the show seriously for that reason alone.
Any facts or figures would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:58 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
Oh man, here we go again. Yes, Oceanside is still Bloods and Crips and extremely dangerous. Think Dogtown Z Boys here. There is probably the chance you'll be shot at just driving through to find your favorite place to dine or approached by a gang member to buy a bag of crack rocks. Gunshots are heard more than chirping birds in the early morning hours.

Of course I jest, but Oceanside always has two different views depending on who you are asking. I could tell you right now which members will say what, but I would get a "vacation" I am sure. Having grown up there, no...Animal Kingdom does NOT represent Oceanside in any way, other than the palm trees and occasional surfer they show walking in the background. All in all, it's a pretty quiet coastal/beach town, but as with any city, it has its bad places to avoid. But gang members running in the streets shooting their pieces in the air or crime families running around punching people in the face just doesn't happen.....but I am sure another member here will say otherwise.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
But is there anything to suggest there's an organized criminal underbelly like the series is trying to sell?
No. If anything, over the last two decades, it's improved quite a bit. Anything west of I-5 is going to be reasonably o.k., though late at night, gotta watch some spots. West of the train tracks, really nice and prices start to go up.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:30 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Great Show!
Non Fiction Bro, the robberies they pull of on the show are damn near impossible, Trust me

Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Great Show!
Non Fiction Bro, the robberies they pull of on the show are damn near impossible, Trust me
Yes....and I will say (true story) that I was sitting at a stop.light at the Boulevard and Coast Hwy when three O'Side PD pulled up behind me with lights and got out with weapons drawn shouting at the car in front of me to exit and show hands. It was pretty nuts. That was in 2014 sometime.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
No.

Never forget Hollywood always likes to whitewash things.

While there are certainly Caucasian criminal elements, the predominant criminal gangs in Oceanside are Latino.

Dozens charged in alleged North County gang gun and drug networks - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Judge renews injunction against Oceanside gang members - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2008/feb/20/cover/#

Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 PM

381 posts, read 344,358 times
Just spend a few minutes on Mission around sundown and tell me how safe it is. You may not get murdered, but Oceanside is a SKETCHY place. Yes, there are good parts and the city is on the upswing, but let’s not whitewash this. O’side is not Carlsbad or San Clemente.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:23 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Never even heard of this show. Is it even shot in Oceanside?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Annnnd someone finally says it out loud!! True statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
Just spend a few minutes on Mission around sundown and tell me how safe it is. You may not get murdered, but Oceanside is a SKETCHY place. Yes, there are good parts and the city is on the upswing, but let’s not whitewash this. O’side is not Carlsbad or San Clemente.
I like to call it "blue collar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Never even heard of this show. Is it even shot in Oceanside?
Believe it or not, yes. My wife and I stayed in Denver last month at a hotel and this show was on. We watched it to see how much we recognized. We saw the pier, parts of Coast Hwy, and the Harbor. They started shooting it when we were still living there, but I never saw any cameras.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:56 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Annnnd someone finally says it out loud!! True statement.

I like to call it "blue collar"

Believe it or not, yes. My wife and I stayed in Denver last month at a hotel and this show was on. We watched it to see how much we recognized. We saw the pier, parts of Coast Hwy, and the Harbor. They started shooting it when we were still living there, but I never saw any cameras.
Most of the show is shot in San Diego in and around parts of LA.

We Have one of the number shows on T.V. right now being filmed in our back yard, and most San Diegans don't even know

These are the filming locations here in Oceanside

https://visitoceanside.org/animal-kingdom-oceanside-filming-location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Bs9mRc2GHFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVeUevoo-6g

Last edited by hitman619; 07-31-2018 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego