Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,811,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentledental4u View Post
Hey I'll see you guys in Gated North County!! You'll be able to recognize me...I'll be the dude waving with both hands straight up in the air!
Will you be signaling wildly to be rescued?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM

655 posts, read 1,326,623 times
John Lennon didn't sing that sappy stupid silly song, it was Paul McCartney with Stevie Wonder.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,003 times
Here are some of my thoughts on SD. Well, first of all San Diego is not a city it's a sprawling suburbia in my opinion. After a while I started missing an urban life style a lot. The life quality here is great though, everything seems so laid back and easy. I would hate to be single here, partying in San Diego downtown at weekends is like a joke to me, a lot of “dress to impress” and attitudes like that. Overall, San Diego is pretty brain numbing after a while. People are usually uninterested not to mention shallow. Another thing that bothers me is that once you become older and you live in places like North Park you are looked down by those conservative people from North County.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 18,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
Also we have lots of healthy (fruits/vegies) places to shop at that are way less expensive than Seattle.
I agree with you. We just got back from San Diego and we were suprised at how inexpensive groceries were (particulary produce). I assume that has to do with the lack of shipping fees since many items can be grown in California. Produce is much more expensive in Ohio.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 18,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzicato66 View Post
Maybe some of us need to form a little newbie coffee or exploring club whilst settling in. Any takers?
Count me in too. Hopefully we'll be out there by next summer.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,550,570 times
Welcome to all newcomers The best thing you can do, as with anybody in any new city, is to :
1.) Get to know your neighbors. They are a great resource, as probably some of them have lived here a long time and can really be helpful.
2.) Join some organizations. SD is full of arts organizations, sports clubs, reading clubs- - - find new friends that share your passions/ hobbies.
3.) Look in The Reader, SD Citybeat, and the UT Thursday paper for things to do in the area. SO much going on- - -
Good Luck

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 144,491 times
I drove here with my girlfriend from Portsmouth, NH and have been here about a month and a half. San Diego is amazingly beautiful and is one of the best places on Earth to be sure. My only negative experience so far just happened about ten minutes ago in the jacuzzi in my apartment complex. My girlfriend and I went now when no one ever goes hoping for some privacy. As soon as we got in, a couple appeared out of nowhere and hopped right in. It was the exact reason I drove 2000+ miles to get away: the man was about 40 years old, overweight and bald. The woman was fat and unattractive about the same age and looked/sounded like she had been smoking a pack of cigarettes since she was 12. I guessed they weren't from San Diego and probably from Boston: I was right. All they did was talk about what every Bostonian talks about with their empty and bored lives: the sox. I can't believe they followed me to my jacuzzi!!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,953,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truephobia View Post
I drove here with my girlfriend from Portsmouth, NH and have been here about a month and a half. San Diego is amazingly beautiful and is one of the best places on Earth to be sure. My only negative experience so far just happened about ten minutes ago in the jacuzzi in my apartment complex. My girlfriend and I went now when no one ever goes hoping for some privacy. As soon as we got in, a couple appeared out of nowhere and hopped right in. It was the exact reason I drove 2000+ miles to get away: the man was about 40 years old, overweight and bald. The woman was fat and unattractive about the same age and looked/sounded like she had been smoking a pack of cigarettes since she was 12. I guessed they weren't from San Diego and probably from Boston: I was right. All they did was talk about what every Bostonian talks about with their empty and bored lives: the sox. I can't believe they followed me to my jacuzzi!!
Sorry, but I can't feel pity for you on this. If the middle-aged couple lived in the same apartment complex as you, they had just as much right to be in the jacuzzi as you. And who knows, maybe they were also hoping for a little privacy, and to their misfortune, you and your girlfriend were there first? It's all how you look at things ....

Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agasss4 View Post
Here are some of my thoughts on SD. Well, first of all San Diego is not a city it's a sprawling suburbia in my opinion. After a while I started missing an urban life style a lot. The life quality here is great though, everything seems so laid back and easy. I would hate to be single here, partying in San Diego downtown at weekends is like a joke to me, a lot of “dress to impress” and attitudes like that. Overall, San Diego is pretty brain numbing after a while. People are usually uninterested not to mention shallow. Another thing that bothers me is that once you become older and you live in places like North Park you are looked down by those conservative people from North County.
How is a metro with 3 million people not a city? That's just crazy. Are you comparing San Diego to the urban fabric of Boston or Philly? Because if you are, then no wonder you are disappointed. If San Diego is a bad place for singles, then please tell us which cities are good. And trust me, there are more intelligent people living here th=n you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truephobia
Funny story. If that's the only complaint you have about living here so far, you're doing pretty good. Welcome!!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 AM

489 posts, read 1,951,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agasss4 View Post
Overall, San Diego is pretty brain numbing after a while. People are usually uninterested not to mention shallow.
A lot of unintelligent, "brain numb" people have made this "brain numb" place their home over the years, like Jonas Salk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego