Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is that place very backwards?

I spoke to a lawyer a few months ago about a speeding ticket I received in La Mesa, and he warned me about the commisioners/judges in the east county traffic division. Saying they were extremely tough.

Had court there and couldn't believe how biased the commisioner acted towards the officer! I mean, I know they usually lean towards the officer, but after the guy couldn't remember important details such as whether or not he administered an alcohol test, or what the speed limit was where he spotted me speeding(???), I was just shocked when the Judge straight out found me guilty. No reduction of fines, no traffic school, nothing!

I am making an appeal. Anybody have any experiences with making an appeal in the East County Superior Court? Really hoping I can have a fair trial but my experience with the law enforcement and the court process in this area is pretty discouraging..

Sorry if I offend any law enforcement types on here, but this particular incident has given me a bad impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:10 PM

70 posts, read 312,683 times
No offense taken, but I'll give you some ideas.

If you get a ticket anywhere in the county you can ask for, and will receive a court date in the main traffic court on Clairemont Mesa. You can't get a ticket in El Cajon and ask for Vista or any other branch, but any infraction can be redirected to the main traffic court.

I can tell you from experience if the officer at the main court doesn't have the right answers, the commisioners have no problem tossing the ticket. I've seen them do it.

When the commisioner asks if you have questions for the officer. Don't go on an excuse laden he was hiding tirade (not that you would, or did). Ask specific questions and save any commentary for when they ask if you have anything to add. I've noticed this is what annoys the commisioners the most.

I have no experience with East County Traffic Court and can't comment on it. I don't doubt your experience there. I do feel the main court is pretty fair, in my opinion, however biased. If you find yourself in that unfortunate circumstance again, give it a try.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:18 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Thanks for the suggestion. That wouldve been very helpful since I knew how East County was before going in!

I think a judge with the slightest ability to step back and examine the situation without bias completely clouding his judgement would've dismissed this ticket or at least not acted like a total jackass with me. I felt like I was on the O'Reily factor when I was giving my side of the speech!

I'm talking to a lawyer tommorow to see what my options are, if any, on getting this verdict reversed through appeal, but it doesn't look good..

But I know if I ever get myself in a jam like this(hopefully not for a long time!) I'll have that ability to switch courts. Thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 PM

De nada

Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,455 times
Default multa

Hola.

Lo que pasa es que hace dos semanas fui a san Diego y me multaron en el freeway de el cajon, se que tengo que pagarla pero no se cuangto pueda ser, mi problema esque casi no hablo ingles y quisiera saber como es el procedimiento, gracias.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 AM

llamar al número de teléfono en su billete y pedir un traductor español. Ellos pueden responder a sus preguntas.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 25,226 times
I panicked on a yellow light and ended up going through when red, I'm a student working a part time minimum wage job and have no way of affording a $500 ticket. I know it sounds like a sob story, but those are just the facts of my circumstances. Any help... what should I do?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Return your letter requesting a trial by declaration. If that comes back guilty you can still take it to court and hope for the best. If the officer has a conflict in schedule with a higher court the ticket can be dismissed. If the officer is present, you always have the option to speak to the officer before trial and ask for an amended charge. In your case ask it to be ammended to 21461(a) of the vehicle code, violation of signs. It's about half the fine with no points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego