Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Pharmaceutical's yeah I'm not sure if the membrane used for filtering can get it all.
I think not. Will look that up a bit later and see what I can link ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 02:58 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,522,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
That's funny. Will use.

What part of San Diego?
I can't find the map of the program but the distribution area is roughly west Clairemont and University City. Zip codes 92117 and 92122.

All waste water in our area flows into Mission Bay. They've been working on the Mission Bay wastewater collection and reclamation infrastructure for several years at De Anza Cove (the northeast corner of Mission Bay). Now the city is running pipes thru the streets pushing the reclaimed water back up to some high point in Mira Mesa where it will get reintroduced into our fresh water pipes.

The city is not giving us a choice. It's either CRAP2TAP water or buy your own water at Costco.

I'm not sure how well this program has been marketed. Many people in the area think they will be getting a separate 'grey water' pipe for irrigation. But they are not. CRAP2TAP is coming soon.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I can't find the map of the program but the distribution area is roughly west Clairemont and University City. Zip codes 92117 and 92122.

All waste water in our area flows into Mission Bay. They've been working on the Mission Bay wastewater collection and reclamation infrastructure for several years at De Anza Cove (the northeast corner of Mission Bay). Now the city is running pipes thru the streets pushing the reclaimed water back up to some high point in Mira Mesa where it will get reintroduced into our fresh water pipes.

The city is not giving us a choice. It's either CRAP2TAP water or buy your own water at Costco.

I'm not sure how well this program has been marketed. Many people in the area think they will be getting a separate 'grey water' pipe for irrigation. But they are not. CRAP2TAP is coming soon.
Where I currently live in Fl all new development has two systems. Drinking water for the home an recycled water for lawns etc. Is SD mandating this for all new building/

Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Where I currently live in Fl all new development has two systems. Drinking water for the home an recycled water for lawns etc. Is SD mandating this for all new building/
I think CA is mandating all new homes have a drinking water line and a grey-water line plumbed to the house. Not sure what the start date is on that. CA is also mandating that all new homes have solar power. I think that starts in 2020.

In CA, cities deal more in zoning or eminent domain for best use of land. The state controls natural resource use. Our local wastewater project is a Band-Aid response to "Why aren't we capturing any rainwater and making use of it?"

Last edited by cruitr; 09-26-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I think CA is mandating all new homes have a drinking water line and a grey-water line plumbed to the house. Not sure what the start date is on that. CA is also mandating that all new homes have solar power. I think that starts in 2020.

In CA, cities deal more in zoning or eminent domain for best use of land. The state controls natural resource use. Our local wastewater project is a Band-Aid response to "Why aren't we capturing any rainwater and making use of it?"
If they mandate it good.

Now why can't people put tanks in their yard to catch it like they do in other 1st world countries? Not just the State?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,048,011 times
This will come to San Diego too, no doubt.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...t-to-tap-water

In my own town, as regards grey water, all of our public water sprinklers are recycled grey water. Most private associations also recycled grey for irrigation.

As for the OC water treatment plant, it has been online for 10 years recycling pee into tasty water.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
If they mandate it good.

Now why can't people put tanks in their yard to catch it like they do in other 1st world countries? Not just the State?
In SD, there are Rainwater Harvesting Rebates for homeowners to buy rainwater barrels. I think the city pays $1 for every gallon of rain capacity that you buy up to a limit of like $500.

However, there is a bigger problem here. The western USA is filled with local water rights laws. In some areas, property owners do not own the rainwater that falls from the sky. This water belongs to the river or lake where it naturally flows.

I've seen lawsuits with regard to rainwater rights. If I find any of these rainwater lawsuits, I'll post them on this thread later.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
In SD, there are Rainwater Harvesting Rebates for homeowners to buy rainwater barrels. I think the city pays $1 for every gallon of rain capacity that you buy up to a limit of like $500.
Lived there for years and never heard that.

Quote:
However, there is a bigger problem here. The western USA is filled with local water rights laws. In some areas, property owners do not own the rainwater that falls from the sky. This water belongs to the river or lake where it naturally flows.

I've seen lawsuits with regard to rainwater rights. If I find any of these rainwater lawsuits, I'll post them on this thread later.

It is like Mineral rights. You own the surface land but not what is underneath it. Claiming a rain fall is strange, I hope you find something on this, especially where the water just runs into the sea.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:38 PM

50,055 posts, read 46,553,810 times
We had a rebate for rain barrels but it was about 50 bucks off. The city still wouldn't let me run my shower water to my lawn so I rigged a pump to do it off the washing machine.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Lived there for years and never heard that.

It is like Mineral rights. You own the surface land but not what is underneath it. Claiming a rain fall is strange, I hope you find something on this, especially where the water just runs into the sea.
Here's the city of San Diego rebate for rainwater harvesting.

https://www.sandiego.gov/water/conse...tes/rainbarrel

Here's an article about collecting rainwater in Salt Lake City. Just Google 'rainwater lawsuit' and you'll get lots of links.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4001252
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego