Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This sounds like a list of the advantages of San Diego!

No downtown core = no super bad traffic area with expensive parking.

Very sprawling = very nice homes on canyon view lots,not crowded and jammed like SF.

Lacking urban neighborhoods = no bad ghettos and gang problems like LA or Oakland.

The housing costs are high but not nearly as bad as the SF area.
Bad enough as gangs are everywhere in SDC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Bad enough as gangs are everywhere in SDC.
Yep, they're on every street corner just waiting to jump you.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Yep, they're on every street corner just waiting to jump you.
No, but if you do a search you will see how many neighborhoods they dominate.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:

We've been through this discussion many times already. I lived in Barrio Logan for three years, and never saw a gang member, the same goes for National City.

Last edited by moved; 10-17-2018 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Why do folks compare our traffic with arguably one of the worst traffic centers (LA)? Can we say it isn’t great here without constantly throwing LA into the mix. It casually ignores the issues that San diegans have. It’s like sitting in a dentist chair and getting two root canals - well it ain’t that bad the guy in the other room is getting 5 today.

The 5 and 8 have gotten worse in the 15 years I’ve lived here. The 15 is slightly more tolerable with expansion. They opened up 15/78 slightly and it’s helped a little.The 805 is the 805.52 can be parking lot in one direction. The weekend at certain times have gotten worse all roadways.

Lack of grid here, poor public transportation planning and folks moving further out of employment centers to affordable housing have created dense traffic.
A totally valid point, although I'd still argue that San Diego traffic is nothing compared to most major metros, including metros with comparable sizes.

The more important issue I think worth mentioning is the general public's indifference to proactive urban/transportation planning and infrastructure investment. Important issues are left unaddressed until they are in crisis mode. Critical things like housing, bridges, roadways, homeless prevention, etc. Places like LA finally reached its tipping point with traffic and now they are investing billions in expanding their transit network. San Diego (SANDAG) needs to actively plan for and FUND critical infrastructure.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
We've been through this discussion many times already. I lived in Barrio Logan for three years, and never saw a gang member, the same goes for National City.
So?????????????????

Look the info up.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:39 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
A totally valid point, although I'd still argue that San Diego traffic is nothing compared to most major metros, including metros with comparable sizes.

The more important issue I think worth mentioning is the general public's indifference to proactive urban/transportation planning and infrastructure investment. Important issues are left unaddressed until they are in crisis mode. Critical things like housing, bridges, roadways, homeless prevention, etc. Places like LA finally reached its tipping point with traffic and now they are investing billions in expanding their transit network. San Diego (SANDAG) needs to actively plan for and FUND critical infrastructure.
That depends on your commute. Ask the folks who get great housing deals in the South Bay but have to commute on the 805 to Sorrento Valley or the Upper North County Inland folks who have to travel downtown. Personally, I would love to sit on subway or some kind of line that took me somewhat close to where I need to be, but the path of travel is by car, then by bus, and by trolley and then by foot.

This topic is always up on this forum. LA is always brought to light. But all this depends on your situation. Years ago I had a poster debating the same topic and the poster later revealed he/she worked from home. Traffic would look okay if you don't have to be in it or you do an errand at 10am. I lasted three months going from San Marcos to Downtown- It was an hour and fifteen minute drive home and then I had a momentary lapse of judgment and almost accepted a position in Irvine, while thinking I would still live in SD.

I would say the two main issues of focus have been road repair and homeless issue, water issues a close third. All these issues spiral out of control because the planning here is all about development with little to no thought of transportation. Or they try as in case with the Sprinter along the 78, but they did a poor job of developing along the transit.

My advice to anyone moving or even living here. Find a place near your job- don't wait for the city or state to fix our transportation issue.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
"Dominate"? Not hardly. Yeah, they exist. So what? They don't bother most people.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
"Dominate"? Not hardly. Yeah, they exist. So what? They don't bother most people.
Maybe, maybe not. Ask the family of the woman killed in Escondido last year when two gang members were shooting at each other while she drove by down town. Is it real bad, no, but the gangs exist and impact many neighborhoods due to their large presence.

A list is here of the various gangs:

Gangs in San Diego, California | StreetGangs.Com

Gang areas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gang...f1M9C3sbndPkM:

Are they as bad as in the past, no, but they still are an issue and anyone moving there should check it out.

Oh, I have lived in SDC twice, for years, and am familiar with this. Also had a friend who was a police detective and directly involved with the gang issues.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Nope, no disadvantages to living in San Diego. How could there be? It's in California, the land of milk and honey. Why, just crossing the state line will make you 2" taller, 20 lbs. lighter, and add 15 points to your IQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego