Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 7,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Welcome to why San Diego is so expensive! It's everyone's favorite place, and is "for them" in a way that hot, dusty, or freezing places aren't.

Sadly, reality dictates that San Diego is "for" those who can afford to live here, and that it is not for everyone else.

FWIW, we can afford to live here, but are giving up... we're trading the weather for a much bigger / nicer house, lower cost of living, and freedom from the insane tsunami of taxes and regulations coming out of Sacramento. If all of that, and constant pressure on your wallet and budget, is worth living near the ocean; then more power to you.
We're thinking of escaping too. It has gotten so ridiculous here. We love it, but it no longer seems to make sense, and it's getting more and more crowded and expensive by the day it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 7,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
That is actually a good suggestion especially if she could get on at Palomar in Escondido. Nurses often work 3) 12 hour days so would only have to make the trip 3 times per week and at off hours 6am and 7:30 pm.

My Daughter is an RN and I DM'd the OP her hourly wage. We'll see if she responds back. Maybe She is at work.
The commute to/from Temecula has gotten worse over the past 2 years, but it's still more affordable there.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Hall View Post
Yep, I've seen that here near Palm Springs, too. Many nurses I work with own nice homes and some are even single. They bought them 20 years ago or so, though. There's no way on my salary that I could comfortably afford a decent home here (especially since I get called off a lot). I imagine businesses lose a lot of new employees (who come here from out of state) who realize they will never feel comfortable trying to purchase a home here. A nurse I work with just moved away for this exact reason, too. I really only came to this area for experience in my job and the only place in CA I desired to buy a home is Encinitas area....but unless I'm gifted a home it apparently is not in my cards lol! OH WELL. I'll listen to ocean meditations.
I bought a 1 bdrm condo in 2002 in OC for 140,000. They are now selling for 330,000. There's no way I could buy my condo today. It's just crazy! That's the price of a 3 bdrm house in most states. Thank God I bought when I did so I can cash out and move out of this crazy state. My friends never bought and they're in their 50's paying 1700 rent for a small 1 bdrm apt with no hope of ever owning

Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 PM

367 posts, read 420,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncognitoJ View Post
We're thinking of escaping too. It has gotten so ridiculous here. We love it, but it no longer seems to make sense, and it's getting more and more crowded and expensive by the day it seems.
I still can't figure out what people like about SD... I'm in San Diego now, long visit, and it's hard to tolerate being here. It's extremely overcrowded everywhere, every store, gym, road. I'd spent 6 hours in line in the DMV (I'm used to going to DMV and not having to wait, just going to the window) Very bad air quality. Driving is stressful because of fast pace of living, rush and overcrowding. I like to go to one nature park here, but try not to go anywhere else for any reason because any activity here is just stressful due to crowds. When I get back to where I'm staying it's such a relief to shut the door and leave it all behind. I imagine it used to be a nice place many, many years ago...I guess a sad thing to see the influx of people over time and all ambiance ruined.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
A common theme is the stratification of California... poor and well to do.

Poor have assistance and the well to do have means.

A day doesn't go by without water cooler talk of moving away... just about all those retiring I know have or are planning their escape... but, they are leaving with cash... and some with nice pensions.

Which is causing bad feelings... at least my Oregon friends are saying the California money is pricing out locals... one of the Docs I worked with bought several Oregon properties... a historic farm with water rights going way back... a real plum of a property... and so it goes down the pecking order.

Kind of like the Southwest slogan... You and Now Free to Move about the Country.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:00 PM

276 posts, read 221,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A common theme is the stratification of California... poor and well to do.

Poor have assistance and the well to do have means.

A day doesn't go by without water cooler talk of moving away... just about all those retiring I know have or are planning their escape... but, they are leaving with cash... and some with nice pensions.
Yeah, but where to go that is significantly better? Coastal CA has the best mediterranian climate and natural beauty in the US (except for certain areas of Hawaii), which is a lot to have to give up, if you do any kinds of outdoor activity.

I guess you can make a big Chinese folding fan out of those dollars to cool yourself off during the 120F Arizona summers!

Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM

I'm no fan of Hot weather... never lived in a home for A/C

That said... of my friends that have moved to Texas, Arizona, Nevada only one has come back and it caused a divorce or the result of one depending on who you ask.

Flagstaff Arizona, Incline Village and Minden Nevada and Austin TX are very popular with my expat friends...

Also a lot have moved to Oregon and Washington... mostly not retired... simply desire to leave...

I really like Washington State and would have zero issue living somewhere along Puget Sound... and the parks are spectacular for the contrast of salt water and snow capped peaks...

I have met a lot of SoCal transplants in the Pacific Northwest....

Old 11-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I'm no fan of Hot weather... never lived in a home for A/C

That said... of my friends that have moved to Texas, Arizona, Nevada only one has come back and it caused a divorce or the result of one depending on who you ask.

Flagstaff Arizona, Incline Village and Minden Nevada and Austin TX are very popular with my expat friends...

Also a lot have moved to Oregon and Washington... mostly not retired... simply desire to leave...

I really like Washington State and would have zero issue living somewhere along Puget Sound... and the parks are spectacular for the contrast of salt water and snow capped peaks...

I have met a lot of SoCal transplants in the Pacific Northwest....
Well, with all due respect for those who go to those places:
1. Texas has an awful extreme climate with huge variations, extreme cold, extreme heat, massive storms, hurricanes, tornados and flooding - remember poor Houston last year? Plus, flat as a pancake to the horizons.
2. Tahoe area is nice, but extremely cold in the winters. Small town with limited stuff, too.
3. Oregon and Washington are really cloudy, dark, depressing, cold, esp. the winters of monotonous grey.

So, still waiting for a better place than coastal CA

Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 PM

I own in Washington and love it... akin to living in a park with a small salmon stream and bald eagle nest at eye level out the living room window and the tide is always in motion... small dock on the sound and 17 acres of bliss... wine cellar, tennis court, 2500 square foot shop and 4800 square foot waterfront home...

I can't get enough of the National Parks and they don't have the crowds of Yosemite...

No place like the Pudget Sound and Canada is just a ferry ride away... summers are glorious and NO Water Issues... my artesian well is pure and unlimited.

My issue is I am tied down with family obligations in California... a parent with memory issues and business interests...

Still can't believe 15 years later that a mere working stiff could afford such granduer simply by crossing state lines... I have it rented pending my departure.

I have also worked and lived in Austria... it was very easy for me... the people are warm and friendly and spectacular scenery and history... and low, low, low property taxes as consumption tax is very high... pace of life is much slower... time for family and friends... very community centered... NO ONE worries about Health Care or having a million dollars to retire yet they are healthy and well adjusted with low crime and clean...

I have family through marriage living in coastal California in several places and severe water issues and now fire... Can't remember the last time Western WA burned... or Austria? Building anything is a major undertaking... how about 2 years for a deck to get permission?

Can't say much about the other places... accept are you sure Austin is flat and barren? My Tahoe friends are avid skiers and love catching the shows... not what I would call nothing to do plus leaving California taxes greatly improved their bottom line.

To each their own and that is the best part...

Old 11-10-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I have also worked and lived in Austria... it was very easy for me... the people are warm and friendly and spectacular scenery and history... and low, low, low property taxes as consumption tax is very high... pace of life is much slower... time for family and friends... very community centered... NO ONE worries about Health Care or having a million dollars to retire yet they are healthy and well adjusted with low crime and clean...
Actually, Hawaii also has quite low property tax rates (maybe thats why their public schools suck And, it would help owners here immensely if CA did the same as HI and Austria, shift the property tax load off to the sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego