Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 15,378 times

Advertisements

My landlord placed a new washer/dryer combo into my unit last Friday. I finally got a chance to use it over the weekend. The washer only takes half a load of clothes, and takes over two hours to wash. Then after the wash, I am supposed to split that half load in half again to dry them. And the dry cycle takes over 3 hours to dry (for 1/4 of the load). Saturday I had 5 pieces of clothes in there for like 4 hours. So I told my landlord that this machine will drive my electricity bill up the roof. its insane to be washing half a load of clothes for two hours, and dry half of that for over 3 hours. I have 4 people that I need to do laundry for. I will be always doing laundry at this rate. I can only imagine what my electric bill will be like.
my land lord refuses to replace the washer/dryer. they do not care that the electricity bill will be high. In fact, the landlords son was very rude, and threaten to increase the rent, and even told me to get the f*** out if we don't like it, while by kids were in the house. so unprofessional and rude. its still under warranty, as they just got it a week ago, so I don't know why its a big deal to replace it with something more energy efficient.
is there something I can do? My lease comes with the washer/dryer. See pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Landlord Responsibilities - Washer/Dryer-img_4250.jpg   Landlord Responsibilities - Washer/Dryer-img_4253.jpg   Landlord Responsibilities - Washer/Dryer-img_4266.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Is there anywhere in the contract that you have to have a specific dryer and washer.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
I don't understand these photos, OP. Are they taken sideways? Is it one of those units, where the same unit dries, as does the washing? Why was the prior equipment replaced?

If they're going to be rude and combative, I'd just give up, and start taking wash to the laundromat. Some basic clothes items, like t-shirts and kids' jeans, you can wash quickly by hand in a sink, and hang out to dry. Sheets and towels, and other bulky items you can do at the laundromat. Some laundry facilities will wash and press men's dress shirts weekly, for a fee.

Just throwing ideas out there. I know this is annoying, but it sounds like you don't have much choice, if the LL isn't going to be cooperative. BTW, I don't know if you've noticed, but in the dry SW environment, clothes dry a lot faster hung outside than in a drier. Even in winter. Even jeans dry faster hanging outside than in a drier.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:09 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I don't know why she's posting on here, because she lives in Sacramento.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:12 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,736 times
I did this in the condo that I rent it out. But I did it in between tenants to get higher rent. There was no washer/dryer before just a laundry room. Is that the case here? We need more information.

There was no place to vent a dryer in the unit so I chose a combo unit with radiant drying...it does take a long time but I have not received any complaints about electricity bills. The tenants are free to use the laundry room if they wish.

There is no excuse for foul language or the rude behavior you described. Sorry you went through that.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I did this in the condo that I rent it out. But I did it in between tenants to get higher rent. There was no washer/dryer before just a laundry room. Is that the case here? We need more information.

There was no place to vent a dryer in the unit so I chose a combo unit with radiant drying...it does take a long time but I have not received any complaints about electricity bills. The tenants are free to use the laundry room if they wish.

There is no excuse for foul language or the rude behavior you described. Sorry you went through that.
Interesting. Sounds like the unit operates differently, than the standard unit, and that the radiant drying doesn't take more electricity; it's just a slower method of drying. This would mean that tenants need to get used to a whole new way to handle their laundry activities; a new way to schedule them into their day. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that for some reason, the washing takes 2 hrs.?? Is that true of the units you installed, too? Any insights you could provide the OP would be helpful. I could see doing a wash as soon as one gets up, letting it run through getting dressed & breakfast, then throwing it in the drying to do its thing while at work. But that wouldn't work, if the wash cycle takes 2 hrs., unless the OP normally gets out of bed 2 hrs. before going to work.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRLY143 View Post
is there something I can do?

Yes. The laundromat.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I don't know why she's posting on here, because she lives in Sacramento.

no I live in san diego. the location says rancho penisquitas.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. Sounds like the unit operates differently, than the standard unit, and that the radiant drying doesn't take more electricity; it's just a slower method of drying. This would mean that tenants need to get used to a whole new way to handle their laundry activities; a new way to schedule them into their day. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that for some reason, the washing takes 2 hrs.?? Is that true of the units you installed, too? Any insights you could provide the OP would be helpful. I could see doing a wash as soon as one gets up, letting it run through getting dressed & breakfast, then throwing it in the drying to do its thing while at work. But that wouldn't work, if the wash cycle takes 2 hrs., unless the OP normally gets out of bed 2 hrs. before going to work.

It is like a all weekend process. I have hung dried a lot of my clothes, coz its ridiculous to run the dryer for 3 plus hours for 5 pieces of clothes. I personally would never invest in something like this.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand these photos, OP. Are they taken sideways? Is it one of those units, where the same unit dries, as does the washing? Why was the prior equipment replaced?

If they're going to be rude and combative, I'd just give up, and start taking wash to the laundromat. Some basic clothes items, like t-shirts and kids' jeans, you can wash quickly by hand in a sink, and hang out to dry. Sheets and towels, and other bulky items you can do at the laundromat. Some laundry facilities will wash and press men's dress shirts weekly, for a fee.

Just throwing ideas out there. I know this is annoying, but it sounds like you don't have much choice, if the LL isn't going to be cooperative. BTW, I don't know if you've noticed, but in the dry SW environment, clothes dry a lot faster hung outside than in a drier. Even in winter. Even jeans dry faster hanging outside than in a drier.

I do not know why the other one was replaced. and yes its a combo washer/dryer in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego