Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM

586 posts, read 437,442 times

Advertisements

University City is a great choice for the commute to UCSD. Public elementary schools are also very good. It is a great central location where you can get to the beach, downtown or north very easily. I have many friends that live in UC and all love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,208,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Don't move if you are inflexible and want it absolutely like the north.
Or accept embrace SD for what it is and enjoy fully, including it blend of trees, gardens, landscaping, etc.
Add some additional criteria, preferences (and things you want to avoid) beside less than 30 min commute, and I'll suggest some neighborhood options, if not already recommended.
BTW, although the name Redwood City conjures up images of the redwood forest, it's actually a dense urban and suburban sprawl in the middle of the Bay Area. Here is their downtown, which is very attractive but not necessarily out of line with San Diego flora:

There are definitely areas in SD that would emulate the street tree plantings of the Bay Area, but unfortunately, many of the areas built in the 60s and 70s (such as Clairemont Mesa, Kearny Mesa, University City, Mira Mesa, etc) tend not to be well planted, and the ones with great tree canopies (Mission Hills, RSF, wooded area of Pt Loma, for example), tend to be 'old money' and quite expensive (Poway and Scripps Ranch are an exception to this). Many of the newer suburbs (56 corridor to newer parts of Scripps Ranch, for example) were developed with much more significant street tree planting, which is starting to mature after ten to twenty years. Some of these are also seeing major infrastructure projects in terms of upscale retail and restaurants opening in the neighborhoods.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Olivenhain. It’ll be out of your budget unless you find a fixer, they do come up, and it’ll be a longer commute.

Mt Helix. It’ll be within your budget but a longer commute.

These are two that have no shortage of trees all around, that haven’t been mentioned yet, aren’t completely in the boonies, and can be within your budget. There’s others in La Jolla, Coronado, and Del Mar, but not even a tear down is in your price range.

In all honesty you need to start looking a bit harder. There’s so many old neighborhoods throughout the city and county that have plenty of old growth trees, It just varies often from street to strees. Good luck to you.
I would absolutely discourage the OP from considering Mt Helix, as not only the distance, but the traffic patterns along the 805 or 15, paired with eastbound 8, would be horrendous for his particular commute. You could easily look at 45 to 60 minutes in traffic, which is often stop and go from the 52 and 15 junction, for example, then all the way to La Mesa.

University City is a fantastic location if you can tolerate the streetscape (you can always plant more trees around your own property). Otherwise, I'd stick to Scripps Ranch (neighborhood dependent), a small home in Carmel Valley, or east of there along the 56 corridor (such as Torrey Highlands).

Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,233,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Most people move to San Diego for the sun, not the shade.
No I meant it's isolated by businesses, not near stores/ food/ community etc...

People move to San Diego for sun sure, not that they want ugly desolate landscaping in their neighborhood.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Don't move if you are inflexible and want it absolutely like the north.
Or accept embrace SD for what it is and enjoy fully, including it blend of trees, gardens, landscaping, etc.
Add some additional criteria, preferences (and things you want to avoid) beside less than 30 min commute, and I'll suggest some neighborhood options, if not already recommended.
No I don't need it "like the north". In fact I like the variety, heck one of my favorite places is Anza-Borrego.

There's just bad neighborhood design, and good. Unfortunately Southern California had a lot of bad plans for decades, I guess, as tstieber mentioned.

Really only other "requirement" is good schools. Near amenities (i.e. don't want a 10+ minute drive to the grocery store), restaurants. By hiking / running trails are nice-to-haves as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM

Thank you for the tips, I will have to check out these areas in more detail. Gonna have to go through google street view for hours

Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
No I don't need it "like the north". In fact I like the variety, heck one of my favorite places is Anza-Borrego.

There's just bad neighborhood design, and good. Unfortunately Southern California had a lot of bad plans for decades, I guess, as tstieber mentioned.

Really only other "requirement" is good schools. Near amenities (i.e. don't want a 10+ minute drive to the grocery store), restaurants. By hiking / running trails are nice-to-haves as well.
Mission Hills neighborhood

Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 AM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
Quote:
Mission Hills neighborhood
Might as well check out Kensington and South Park as well. All neighborhoods where trees have had a long time to grow.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Might as well check out Kensington and South Park as well. All neighborhoods where trees have had a long time to grow.
Awesome historic neighborhoods, but then the schools aren't nearly as good, and the commute isn't the best to those areas. It's all a balancing act as all of us know. It's hard to get everything on a wish list within a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego