Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
So I should take public transit so the city can save money on maintaining parking lots?
There are a number of reasons we should promote public transit. Reducing wear and tear on our infrastructure (roads) is definitely one of them. Also, we're not talking about "forcing". Rather "encouraging".

It's really interesting how "socially-engineered" Americans are into thinking cars and the associated infrastructure is anything but a massive money pit. It's not financially sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
There are a number of reasons we should promote public transit. Reducing wear and tear on our infrastructure (roads) is definitely one of them. Also, we're not talking about "forcing". Rather "encouraging".

It's really interesting how "socially-engineered" Americans are into thinking cars and the associated infrastructure is anything but a massive money pit. It's not financially sustainable.
I’m sure you realize how much public transportation is subsidized. Not one system in the US makes one cent profit, and the loss per passenger trip is anywhere from $1-$6. In 2016 San Diego was at -$2.50 per rider, per trip. Obviously this could change with more riders, but even NYC operates in the red. Let’s not pretend only cars/roads are a strain on our tax dollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farebox_recovery_ratio

Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 PM

987 posts, read 778,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m sure you realize how much public transportation is subsidized. Not one system in the US makes one cent profit, and the loss per passenger trip is anywhere from $1-$6. In 2016 San Diego was at -$2.50 per rider, per trip. Obviously this could change with more riders, but even NYC operates in the red. Let’s not pretend only cars/roads are a strain on our tax dollars.

I found something worth a glance:

https://sandag.org/uploads/publicati...1550_12607.pdf

Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:

First off, the notion that non-automobile modes need to make a profit is dumb. Road infrastructure is a money pit in itself, far more than any transit system. The cost to society of driving is far higher than any mode. It doesn't take a genius to realize that single occupancy vehicles on sprawling road networks are inefficient uses of resources and require significant subsidy.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-chart/389805/

Secondly, transit is the only form of transportation that has ever been profitable in the U.S. It was killed off when our federal, state, and local governments decided to invest in massive road networks. Transit companies went out of business because of government intervention in the mobility market.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Random fact- the blue line has the highest farebox recovery ratio of all light rail lines in the country: 81%

Pretty impressive.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
First off, the notion that non-automobile modes need to make a profit is dumb. Road infrastructure is a money pit in itself, far more than any transit system. The cost to society of driving is far higher than any mode. It doesn't take a genius to realize that single occupancy vehicles on sprawling road networks are inefficient uses of resources and require significant subsidy.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-chart/389805/

Secondly, transit is the only form of transportation that has ever been profitable in the U.S. It was killed off when our federal, state, and local governments decided to invest in massive road networks. Transit companies went out of business because of government intervention in the mobility market.
I never said they need to make a profit, I just pointed out they’re a money pit as well.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Random fact- the blue line has the highest farebox recovery ratio of all light rail lines in the country: 81%

Pretty impressive.
I won’t dispute if that’s true or not, but operating at a 19% loss isn’t very impressive. Sift through the 43 pages lostsoul359 posted and you’ll see it’s much worse across the board at the MTS.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
It's an average by AAA. You paid $200 per month for the cost of the car (initial price + maintenance), gas, parking, and insurance? Sorry not buying it. And even if you did, I'm using a published national average.

(edit: how long will you own your car? divide that by months and anticipated maintenance and you'll get way about $200) Not to mention the opportunity cost of investing in a depreciating asset...

Also parking is not "free". It costs money to maintain city streets and it's a huge expense to cities. Literally one of the largest drains on the budget. Driving is literally the most subsidized aspect of American life.
By whom? I rode my bicycle to work and back for 5 years back when gas was 5 bucks a gallon. I still had my truck just barely drove it. I guess I was one of those fools subsidizing everything for everyone else? I still paid gas taxes and car registration taxes to maintain roads.

Without roads how do we get most of our daily food and other needs delivered? Even by boat, plane or truck it has to get delivered by road.

By car my commute is 10 min, by bike it's an hour by any form of transit it's over 2 hours.

Promoting telecommuting makes much more sense but most business owners like to be able to pat their employees on the head multiple times a day.

2 plus hours to get to work or ten minutes? That's pretty damn easy math huh.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 02-13-2019 at 09:07 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Telecommuting is the best commuting. We work from home and so have zero commute, which creates zero traffic, zero pollution, and uses no fossil fuels. However, we take the car for leisure, as we live way too far into suburban San Diego to even consider public transit. Some areas simply aren't served by it, and it would be impractical to do so given the population density and distance. Public transportation is important, short commutes are important, Urban walkability is important, and roads are important. It's never all-or-nothing but a mix that we need.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Telecommuting is the best commuting. We work from home and so have zero commute, which creates zero traffic, zero pollution, and uses no fossil fuels. However, we take the car for leisure, as we live way too far into suburban San Diego to even consider public transit. Some areas simply aren't served by it, and it would be impractical to do so given the population density and distance. Public transportation is important, short commutes are important, Urban walkability is important, and roads are important. It's never all-or-nothing but a mix that we need.
Yes, great post. Multi-modal transportation networks are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego