Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
List of Samoas ingredients from Girl Scouts site:

Yum. Some of the least heart-healthy (but cheapest) vegetable oils, artificial sweetener (sorbitol) and corn syrup.
Were you under the impression that anyone thought GS Cookies were healthy? Yeaaaahhh... if I wanted to eat something healthy, they wouldn't be my first pick.

Now, if the palm oil was your issue I'd understand that (since it's an environmental concern). But sugar is the American way, dammit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Girl scouts give you anxiety but not the bums at every corner? Every parking lot? Every single home depot you get attacked with illegals looking for work? Losers trying to shake you down at gas stations saying they "Need just a little gas to get back to LA?"
User name checks out...

Old 02-14-2019, 08:27 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,414 times
I don't agree with parents having their kids "raise money" to pay for their programs. Parents should just pay for their kids' programs themselves. That's part of being a parent.

I had my next door neighbors' kids knock on my door asking for raffle money so they can go to soccer camp. I have my own kids' programs to pay for, so should I ask for that same money back to help pay for my kids?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
I hope they ban all of these stupid fundraisers from storefronts, shopping centers, and workplaces. Don't bother me, my employees, or my neighbors in their homes with this. We're not interested in cheap, overpriced baked sugar. And we're most certainly not interested in a forced interaction with these sugar-peddling carnival barkers. I've got a million things to do, and all of them are better than having to waste time multiple times a day to "politely" decline crap I don't want. I'm not interested in talking to you. I'm not interested in interacting with you. Go bother someone else.

Worse, Americans are disgustingly, morbidly obese. The last thing the public should be buying is more caloric garbage like cookies. This obese country is jammed to the rafters with cheap, disgusting, and frighteningly unhealthy sugared and greased food. Stop trying to sell even more of it. Your school or troop needs funds? It would be far more healthy and efficient to simply give the organization money.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
I hope they ban all of these stupid fundraisers from storefronts, shopping centers, and workplaces. Don't bother me, my employees, or my neighbors in their homes with this. We're not interested in cheap, overpriced baked sugar. And we're most certainly not interested in a forced interaction with these sugar-peddling carnival barkers. I've got a million things to do, and all of them are better than having to waste time multiple times a day to "politely" decline crap I don't want. I'm not interested in talking to you. I'm not interested in interacting with you. Go bother someone else.

Worse, Americans are disgustingly, morbidly obese. The last thing the public should be buying is more caloric garbage like cookies. This obese country is jammed to the rafters with cheap, disgusting, and frighteningly unhealthy sugared and greased food. Stop trying to sell even more of it. Your school or troop needs funds? It would be far more healthy and efficient to simply give the organization money.
So, just say "no". It doesn't need this level of drama. Just simply say "no". When enough people simply say "no" it will stop happening.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:41 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
It does not bother me where they sell. But, the products are expensive and are full of crap ingredients. If the GS want my business they will have to modernize their inventory.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:52 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I don't have a problem with buying one box of Girl Scout cookies per year. I like Thin Mints. I have no problem with the price, the sugar, or helping out the individual scout or the organization. I was a Girl Scout myself. We used to go door-to-door selling cookies, and when the orders came in, we went back to those houses--multiple times if necessary--to deliver them.

The last time a scout actually came to my door was about eight or nine years ago. I happily ordered my box of Thin Mints, but instead of the same scout bringing it to my door, I got a slip of paper on the door with a typed message, "Your order is in! Please call me at 555-1212 to schedule a time to come pick up your cookies."

I was disgusted. I knew where this girl lived, and it was no more than a two-minute walk from my house. She could come ask me to buy, but somehow couldn't deliver my order? Now it's on me to call, schedule, and go to her house to pick up a single box of cookies? I was probably more enraged than I should have been, but I clearly recall how when I was a Scout, we diligently delivered every box. I just ignored the note, and never got those cookies.

So it suits me just fine to buy a box of Thin Mints from the table outside the supermarket. It's the easiest way to get them. On subsequent shopping trips, all I have to do is smile and say, "Thanks, but I already bought some."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: