Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,654 times

Advertisements

It's Girl Scout cookie time. I'm curious of people's thoughts of girls selling outside of grocery stores? In the old days, girls used to go door to door or ask family and friends to buy cookies. Now it seems like tiger parents sell the cookies to everyone at work, girls set up booths on the side of the road, or they hang out at the doorways to grocery stores looking for those unsuspecting shoppers.

Do people like/dislike this? I always get anxious when I see them in front of the grocery store. I end up scanning both entrances to go to the entrance with no sellers. I just don't have the heart to tell 'em no and get the look of sadness from the girl and disgust from the parent. Sometimes I pretend to be on the phone or I wait until others are leaving the store too, so I can disappear in the crowd.

I support the Girl Scouts, but I support them by buying from my 2 nieces.

Last edited by djxpress; 02-11-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
I buy cookies from my co-worker’s daughter. I love Girl Scout cookies, so it’s always a welcomed treat for me.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
It's Girl Scout cookie time. I'm curious of people's thoughts of girls selling outside of grocery stores? In the old days, girls used to go door to door or ask family and friends to buy cookies. Now it seems like tiger parents sell the cookies to everyone at work, girls set up booths on the side of the road, or they hang out at the doorways to grocery stores looking for those unsuspecting shoppers.

Do people like/dislike this? I always get anxious when I see them in front of the grocery store. I end up scanning both entrances to go to the entrance with no sellers. I just don't have the heart to tell 'em no and get the look of sadness from the girl and disgust from the parent. Sometimes I pretend to be on the phone or I wait others are leaving the store too, so I can disappear in the crowd.

I support the Girl Scouts, but I support them by buying from my 2 nieces.
Really? I've never received a look of disgust from parents if I've had to decline but I always try to be polite..."Oh, I'm sorry, I don't have the money today. Good luck with your sales though!" with a smile. And the girls usually just smile and say "that's okay" or something like that and the parents seem gracious too. I think sometimes we underestimate their ability to take light rejection constructively. And I usually buy a box or two from the couple people at work who sell them. Their daughter was gracious enough to write a hand written thank you note attached to the box when it arrived which I thought was gracious.

I was talking to a friend earlier who felt that girls setting up in front of stores selling them was "cheating" compared to the old way where the girls did have to go sell them more actively. That may be a little strong but I get what he was saying.

P.S.: I realize this is the San Diego forum, so I can't speak to anything locally, but I saw it in the "newest threads" section and it was interesting to me, so here I am.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
My niece is also a Girl Scout, so I just use that as an excuse if the kids outside the stores "attack" me - I say that I'm sorry, but I have to buy them from her! Sometimes I'll give in, though, since one can never have too many boxes of Tagalongs (or whatever they're called now).

Personally, I think this kid deserved an award for ingenuity: https://www.today.com/parents/girl-s...sary-6-t122455

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM

334 posts, read 227,068 times
Girl scouts have been selling in front of business since before I first became a Girl Scout troop leader in the early 90s, so, not really a new thing :-) No problem with just smiling and walking by or politely saying "no thank you" The vast majority of people did.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
5 simple words work for every situation. “I gave at the office”

Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
5 simple words work for every situation. “I gave at the office”
ditto

Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 PM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Girl scouts give you anxiety but not the bums at every corner? Every parking lot? Every single home depot you get attacked with illegals looking for work? Losers trying to shake you down at gas stations saying they "Need just a little gas to get back to LA?"

What?

Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
At the price they want nowadays, I have no problem saying no. I know, it's a fund raising thing. But when I was a girl scout myself even us kids could afford to buy a box. Now, not so much. It's a just gone a bit too far.

And yes, we sold at businesses as well as door to door even back then.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
I'm health-conscious so there is no room for GS cookies in my kitchen. Yes, sales have gotten pervasive and it's now Big Business. I remember the first time a Girl Scout set up a web site to sell cookies and she was reprimanded by HQ. Now HQ provides a way for them to set up a Web site! And the prices have just gone crazy. My late husband, born in 1938, was old enough to remember when cookie sales meant that the girls baked cookies at home and sold them.

You can offer a donation to the troop instead of buying- probably a better use of your funds. The fact that you have 2 nieces who sell them is a perfectly reasonable explanation of why you don't want to buy from others. I personally don't know any Girl Scouts and for people in my position who also WANT to buy, sales at the grocery store are convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: