Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM

29,790 posts, read 18,652,422 times

Advertisements

Why not if you can afford it. I wouldn't personally with less than about $8M because wife requires a fine house and pool and doesn't like cheap stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,350,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
We used to live @ Sunset Cliffs. We moved to the Mission Bay area because we found Sunset Cliffs a little too cold for us.
I'd give my left (insert rude body part here) to live on Hill Street overlooking the Pacific. There's a topic in unexplained that asks--have you ever been drawn to a place. I answered that with guess where?

Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I'd give my left (insert rude body part here) to live on Hill Street overlooking the Pacific. There's a topic in unexplained that asks--have you ever been drawn to a place. I answered that with guess where?
For me it is the Pacific Northwest... but family commitments keep me here...

When you find that special place you just know it.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,527,914 times
Quote:
Hill St does have a dramatic view of the ocean. Last year, we almost bought a home a top of Hill St. It had a view of both the ocean to the west and downtown to the east.

However, we are no longer 40 years old. We used to walk Hill St and Talbot St 20 years. But we just couldn't walk it today. Five years from now it'd be even worse. So when the seller rejected our offer, we moved on.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,350,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Hill St does have a dramatic view of the ocean. Last year, we almost bought a home a top of Hill St. It had a view of both the ocean to the west and downtown to the east.

However, we are no longer 40 years old. We used to walk Hill St and Talbot St 20 years. But we just couldn't walk it today. Five years from now it'd be even worse. So when the seller rejected our offer, we moved on.
I know all about the brutality of climbing that street, even worse pushing a bicycle with you but the rewards are worth it. I thought about it more as well and basically you'd had to drive somewhere to take a walk but it would only be a 5 min. drive so no big deal.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,647 times
Chiming in from Canada here...can't wait to retire 5-6 months per year to San Diego. Fortunately bought a small home in Allied Gardens in 2011 when it was more affordable and our dollar was strong. I've done the math...if I take out the income tax factor, and housing factor (yes folks, I DO pay SD property tax), it won't be any more expensive for me to live in SD than back in Canada (where it's already very expensive).

I haven't figured out the friend thing yet, but figure that there will be so much to see and do that I will definitely run into folks who want to hang out together from time to time. Can't imagine the luxury of being able to golf year round.

I'm aware there are much cheaper places for snowbirds to flock (seems every other person in my neighborhood has a second home in Phoenix), but I'm determined to give San Diego a shake first to see if it's worth it.

Good luck

Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-unit View Post
Chiming in from Canada here...can't wait to retire 5-6 months per year to San Diego. Fortunately bought a small home in Allied Gardens in 2011 when it was more affordable and our dollar was strong. I've done the math...if I take out the income tax factor, and housing factor (yes folks, I DO pay SD property tax), it won't be any more expensive for me to live in SD than back in Canada (where it's already very expensive).

I haven't figured out the friend thing yet, but figure that there will be so much to see and do that I will definitely run into folks who want to hang out together from time to time. Can't imagine the luxury of being able to golf year round.

I'm aware there are much cheaper places for snowbirds to flock (seems every other person in my neighborhood has a second home in Phoenix), but I'm determined to give San Diego a shake first to see if it's worth it.

Good luck
I haven't seen any Canadian Maple Leafs here in San Diego in a long time. Tell them they need a Mexican passport.

We do have a hockey team here these days:
https://www.sandiegogulls.com/
The Gulls are not NHL but we need to start somewhere.

Please don't tell your Canadian friends about San Diego. Toronto is my favorite North American city in July. Steer your friends to Phoenix or Las Vegas. Unless they are multi-millionaires or billionaires. We love rich people.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,593,457 times
Quote:
Sunset used to be my spot until a good friend offed himself in the parking lot forever scarring me when I go there.

My spot is in the local Mts. Second would be bird rock.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sunset used to be my spot until a good friend offed himself in the parking lot forever scarring me when I go there.

My spot is in the local Mts. Second would be bird rock.
Bird Rock is nice. However, the real necessities of life ie. Costco, Home Depot, Von's, your job, healthcare, etc. can be a real challenge to get to.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 PM

439 posts, read 525,115 times
We moved from Chicagoland to San Diego in 2015 (already retired) and have an outdated house with a yard and lovely pool in Point Loma and are very happy with the change. No view but we can walk to one in 5 minutes or drive in one minute. Once I walked to the ocean (exactly 1 mile) but steep hill to climb back home so haven't repeated. We hadn't really realized how much the spring marine layer affected weather but it's still sooooo much better than the harsh winters before that we have no complaints.

We joined a Meetup for baby boomers and made tons of friends and now have an active social life. We do beach days during the summer with the group; also regular happy hours and beach bonfires. My husband plays tennis and basketball every week and hits the Hillcrest farmer's market every Sunday. He also goes biking regularly. We take occasional daycations and play tourist, and enjoy all the recreational and tourist activities. I call Cabrillo Monument my neighborhood national park - I bought a senior parks pass for $10 the first weekend we moved here.

We would have liked to live in Bird Rock or Mission Hills but were priced out; barely could make it onto Point Loma when we were buying. Luckily our realtor had grown up with the seller so put in a good word for us! Our home is more expensive than in Chicago suburbs but our property tax is lower. And state income taxes aren't that much different. Utility costs are considerably higher than we expected - use less but pay more.

We think it's an excellent location and close to just about everywhere we want to go. We were pleasantly surprised with the amount of everyday shopping nearby (Target, Home Depot, etc.). Luckily we are in a nice pocket neighborhood unaffected by the homeless and crime seen in some parts of OB and Midway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego