U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2009, 04:40 PM

301 posts, read 348,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
I just looked at the actual homes listed for sale in the zip codes you provided. $320K for this? 9806 Bilteer, Santee, CA 92071 | MLS# 090043538 . With a main road running right next to it? No thanks. I'll pass.

Depends on what kind of noise mitigation is in place. It's not a disaster area as someone else wrote a 320k home must be. Mast is not Mission Gorge road. It's not that loud except maybe during the commute, when most people won't be home anyway but commuting themselves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:37 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,434,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Depends on what kind of noise mitigation is in place. It's not a disaster area as someone else wrote a 320k home must be.
Its a dumpy house in a dumpy neighborhood.

Read my post carefully:
"The nicest house in a total disaster neighborhood or a dump in Clairemont"

I live in a very similar neighborhood. I'm not judging. I know the deal... It is what it is. If it's worth it for you, go for it. But don't think there's not a trade-off being made - and go in with eyes open. Shopping carts on the corner, cars speeding down your block, dead lawns, 40-something rednecks with lifted trucks. Occasional tweaker. Occasional party house. Occasional drug house. Occasional gangster or biker or skinhead house. That's life in a reasonably safe neighborhood San Diego where houses cost 300k. It's all trade-offs all the time at that price level. But hey.. there's always Temecula... or a condo... or a lifetime of renting.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM

9,718 posts, read 3,850,833 times
Sassberto...........telling it like it is Great post.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Just a dose of reality here: My wife and I don't earn 150K to 200K, but we own a 4 bedroom house in Encinitas (bought in 2008), and we have a really good quality of life overall (newer cars, family vacations, etc). Our kids dont' go to private schools, but that's only because our home school in the Encinitas district is really good. No reason to go private, we're already paying taxes for the good public school.
I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand threads on here like this one, where people make big broad sweeping generalizations about how no one can live on this, no can survive on that, and it's just silly. It's all based on personal finances, and everyone's situation is different. Bottom line: There are people who live in SD on a whole lot less than $85k. It's not impossible, and there's no reason for anyone to say it is.

A few won't or can't (due to ego) acknowledge that the area is much more affordable now than it was a few years ago.

85k is a good income. It wouldn't afford a 2005 bubble price but can afford many homes today.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 PM

12 posts, read 12,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Its a dumpy house in a dumpy neighborhood.

Read my post carefully:
"The nicest house in a total disaster neighborhood or a dump in Clairemont"

I live in a very similar neighborhood. I'm not judging. I know the deal... It is what it is. If it's worth it for you, go for it. But don't think there's not a trade-off being made - and go in with eyes open. Shopping carts on the corner, cars speeding down your block, dead lawns, 40-something rednecks with lifted trucks. Occasional tweaker. Occasional party house. Occasional drug house. Occasional gangster or biker or skinhead house. That's life in a reasonably safe neighborhood San Diego where houses cost 300k. It's all trade-offs all the time at that price level. But hey.. there's always Temecula... or a condo... or a lifetime of renting.
Have to agree with this 100%. This is why we are moving to another state and leaving the 85K behind for a job that pays 30K less! We can actually afford a brand new 4 bedroom home in an excellent and upscale area where we are going RATHER than buying some run down dumpy house in an area like El Cajon or Mira Mesa where we have to worry about safety among other things. I have no idea why anyone would want to justify paying good money to live in areas like this....? If you can't afford coastal life in California why bother putting up with all the inland issues? Inland cities are sketchy to say the least.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,434,403 times
Quote:
A few won't or can't (due to ego) acknowledge that the area is much more affordable now than it was a few years ago.

85k is a good income. It wouldn't afford a 2005 bubble price but can afford many homes today.
Assuming you are speaking to me, let's put this one to bed:

You can get more house today, and in better areas, than you could in the past. It's definitely more affordable in San Diego today than '05, more affordable than it's ever been. In fact now (and the next few years) is the time to buy. Totally agree with that, no argument from me there.

85k is a good income in 95% of the country. Where I grew up (NY) and here in California, it's basically middle income and assuming you want a white-picket fence lifestyle, that salary will buy you into a 50-year old starter home in a lower-middle to working-class neighborhood, for the most part. Accept that for what it is, because those are the neighborhoods you will live in and you will have to accept them for what they are. Once you get beyond the gleam of San Diego's tony, wealthy, drop-dead gorgeous neighborhoods, you will find a lot of places that have some pretty significant problems, and most likely, those problems will become your problems too.

I want to reiterate this because I feel like it's important: Neighborhoods with 85k avg incomes have homes that sell for 600-700k. Neighborhoods with homes that an 85k average income can afford to buy (barring other money, as mentioned before) often have average incomes of half (or less) that. That means you will be the rich man on your block, in a neighborhood of people who make half what you make and are, for the most part, in the working class, struggling, with a significant portion at or near what amounts to poverty. This has not changed with the current housing conditions, since the spread is so extreme and long-seated it seems essentially impossible to reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise101 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would want to justify paying good money to live in areas like this....? If you can't afford coastal life in California why bother putting up with all the inland issues? Inland cities are sketchy to say the least.
To each his own. There are pros and cons. It is up to the individual. Some people are willing to make the tradeoffs for the benefits, and those benefits are unique and substantial. But the tradeoffs are not trivial. The only thing I am trying to do is highlight what those tradeoffs are. No judgement.

Last edited by Sassberto; 09-20-2009 at 11:29 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Default no judging meant

Sorry to sound like I was judging.....I did not intend for that. I was simply trying to make a point (which I don't think anyone would argue with) that inland cities are less desireable than coastal ones for the most part....this applies to any state that runs along the coast. I spent years in Hawaii on 3 different islands and even there once you got away from the coast things were much different. That's just the way it is. 85K a year will qualify you to buy a smaller, older home in parts of east county and surrounding cities. Even this will cost you mid 300's and up! Once you get into the 500's (average price of homes) the net income from an 85K salary will require you to pay close to 3/4 of it towards your mortgage (around 3000 or so). Can you stretch one week's paycheck for everything else....groceries, utilities, car payments, gas, cell phones, insurance, co-pays, entertainment, cable, kid's needs, etc, etc, etc.

We know first hand as we have been trying for years to get into the market here and in Hawaii. It just doesn't work for a family of 4 with 85K UNLESS you are okay with a small, rundown home in a questionable neighborhood. Really up to the individual and what they want out of life and how they want to raise their kids (if they have any).

Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise101 View Post
Once you get into the 500's (average price of homes) the net income from an 85K salary will require you to pay close to 3/4 of it towards your mortgage (around 3000 or so). Can you stretch one week's paycheck for everything else....groceries, utilities, car payments, gas, cell phones, insurance, co-pays, entertainment, cable, kid's needs, etc, etc, etc.

Median August price was $325,000. While average can also mean the mean, it's doubtful the difference is that great. 500k+? I don't think so.

Just relaying the data.

Southland home sales up; median levels off

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Median August price was $325,000. While average can also mean the mean, it's doubtful the difference is that great. 500k+? I don't think so.

Just relaying the data.

Southland home sales up; median levels off

What I should have said was, 500K+ for anything that you would actually want to live in. Sorry.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 12,641 times
Personally I think that it would be absolutely impossible if you want a good quality of life. San Diego is soooooooooo expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego