Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 PM

70 posts, read 85,378 times

Advertisements

Me and DH have a condo in Carlsbad that we've been renting out, and we are planning to move into it within the next year; it doesn't have AC. Do I need AC on it? It's about 2 miles from the beach. My renter complained a couple years ago about it being warm. I know that sounds like a silly question, but I haven't been there year-round. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,553,031 times
You don't need AC when you're 2 miles from the beach. A couple of years ago, we had an usually hot summer. That's probably the year your tenants complained. I used room ac units that year to cool my house.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 AM

84 posts, read 87,794 times
There are about 2-4 weeks total any given year-- usually between July-October, that it is warm/hot with no breeze to help you. It is up to you whether that is livable or not and/or worth the installation and utility costs. If you have ceiling or portable fans, then you should be fine but when you get back to back hot days, the heat has no time to dissipate, so it can be a bit uncomfortable. Most places along the coast do not have AC but there are some that do and love to use it during those hot days. Stay cool!

Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Thank you cruitr.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 AM

9,804 posts, read 11,494,188 times
I say no, but it all depends on your tolerance. Where do live now to compare the difference in weather.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Thank you, Anita. Yes, we are going to put ceiling fans in the unit. We live in the Central Valley right now, and so we have a pretty high heat tolerance. I'm generally scurrying for a blanket if it's below 70. I just want to prepare a bit if we are looking for 80 degrees indoors - that's a little rough.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Hey hitman - I'm in Bakersfield, Ca. The reputations are accurate; above all, it's really hot here.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:39 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,838 times
You will want AC for a few months a year. You won't be running it all the time but it will be extremely useful in cooling off the house after a long hot summer day.

I also recommend installing a screen door. You can get a nice breeze that way and save on energy costs just the same.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM

5,684 posts, read 4,630,149 times
We use our AC for about 8 weeks per year. I have solar panels so I don't mind running it.

A cheaper alternative is a whole house fan. Its a large fan installed in the attic, and after the sun has gone down and the air has cooled, you open one or two windows and turn on the fan for a few minutes. It will suck out the hot air trapped in your house and replace it cool air from outside.

Or you can get a mini AC system for just your bedroom.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:57 AM

3,444 posts, read 5,231,807 times
If you don't want to retrofit the home with AC, and you don't need it often, then you could buy a portable AC unit on wheels, which does a great job of cooling any room as long as you vent the hot air hose out the window. That gives you flexibility for under $200.

If you have a higher budget and want to retrofit, then the mini-split units, which are compact, efficient, whisper-quiet AC compressors that connect to an inside air handler you can install on your wall, are as good as central AC. If you can put one of those in a place that accesses two rooms from the exterior walls, then you can connect one strong unit to two separate rooms. Units like that cost about $2500, plus professional installation.

And if you already have air ducts for central heating, then you may be able to add a regular, whole-house compressor for around $5000.

All depends on your needs and your budget, but you have multiple options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego