Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 PM

17 posts, read 67,911 times

Advertisements

We are moving to San Diego in August and my 5 year old will be starting kindergarten so we are interested in schools. We plan to move to either Mira Mesa, PQ, Rancho Bernardo or Poway. I know that the Poway school district is supposed to be great. What about Mira Mesa Schools? How are they?

Also, are they all year round? And is Kindergarten half day or full day? What about in Poway? Any other thoughts about schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 PM

490 posts, read 1,550,897 times
Poway is its own school district, and good Mira Mesa is part of San Diego Unified, and has some good schools: Sandburg, Hage, Ericsson, Hickman, Miramar Ranch (actually in Scripps Ranch). Can't go wrong living around/ sending your kids to those schools I've taught at all of them at some point in my career. Actually, any of those areas you are considering would be fine to live in/ send your kids to school in. Some schools are traditional, a few are yr. round, you could call the secretaries, they'll fill ya in.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:46 AM

957 posts, read 3,343,538 times
They actually have year round schools in SD?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,213,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Absolutely, I remember when my junior high transitioned to year round. This was years ago now, but they are still around.

Have to agree with MZG regarding Miramar Ranch, I used to work there myself and it's a great school in a good area. Parking is horrible though, other than that it's well run with a good principal and good teachers.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:59 PM

786 posts, read 3,911,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Yes - I know some people that live in Mira Mesa and their children have year round school. None of the schools in the Poway district do.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM

786 posts, read 3,911,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetdreamsbaby View Post
We are moving to San Diego in August and my 5 year old will be starting kindergarten so we are interested in schools. We plan to move to either Mira Mesa, PQ, Rancho Bernardo or Poway. I know that the Poway school district is supposed to be great. What about Mira Mesa Schools? How are they?

Also, are they all year round? And is Kindergarten half day or full day? What about in Poway? Any other thoughts about schools? Thanks!
Kindergarten is generally 1/2 day, but some of the schools in Poway offer a single kindergarten class within the school that slowly works up to almost a full day throughout the year. There are also afterschool programs that you can pay for that allow kindergarteners to stay for a full day (but only 1/2 of the day is school).

Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM

110 posts, read 294,170 times
Default Some useful links

School Performance Maps

California School Finder

California School Ratings

Old 04-16-2008, 02:20 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,982,513 times
Poway is known to have better schools than Mira Mesa.

Scripps Ranch schools are very good. From what I am hearing, they are better than Poway and Mira Mesa.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 PM

17 posts, read 67,911 times
This is SO helpful! Thank you so much for responding!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 PM

77 posts, read 404,337 times
Default MM Schools

The quality of schools in Mira Mesa depends on the quality of the teachers, students and their parents/guardians. A school may have great teachers but bad students and a school may have great students with bad teachers. No matter what the make-up of the community is, the teacher has the duty to do a great job of teaching the young minds. I've volunteered at a private school where the students consisted of some outcasts and problem students that were kicked out of the public schools. The private school remained higher ranked despite the problem students because of the quality of the curriculum and the care that each teacher had given to the struggling students. If the student was struggling in class, the teachers and administration actually talked about how they can make the student succeed such as after-school tutoring or a special program. In the San Diego Unified school where the community is diverse, you will see good and bad/lazy teachers. In a middle/lower middle class neighborhood, if a student is struggling, a few teachers may not generally care about the student. In an upper/upper middle class neighborhood, the teachers usually do care about all the students in order to maintain the high reputation of the school.

The former principal of Mira Mesa High School always mentioned the following during the Orientation for the incoming freshman. When you are in high school, you need to look around you. You will see good students and bad students. And the way to lead a good and a promising future is to hang out with the good students. The success of your high school experience will depend on the friends you hang out with in high school. This former principal emphasized to never hang out with the bad students - students who smoke, drink, do drugs, commit crime, get in trouble, etc. I hope the new MMHS principal has that same philosophy and will preach that same philosophy to the MMHS students today. Here are the students of MMHS at YouTube - miramesahighschool's Channel. The way students can get out of trouble is by joining programs that can develop their talents. Joining competitions makes the students busy and excel so they do not have time to get in trouble. Parents also need to keep up with what their teens are up to and who they are hanging out with.

PQ, Rancho Bernardo or Poway are upper middle class neighborhoods and Mira Mesa is a middle/lower middle class neighborhood. Therefore, you will need to decide where you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: