U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:26 AM
 
48 posts, read 33,662 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Good post. Pretty fair assessment of the areas you visited. San Marcos is definitely the best area along the 78 freeway. Poway is sorta split in half with the northern/eastern section nicer than the southern/western areas. During your exploration further south/east, check out La Mesa, Santee, Tierrasanta and Allied Gardens. I look forward to your updates.
I'm laughing right now because those are on our list for Sunday.

Update: My wife surprised me (this is my birthday weekend) and flew two of my sons and my niece out here. They surprised me in the hotel today. I normally see this type of thing coming, but not this time.

It's gonna be a great weekend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:16 PM
 
Location: La Jolla
403 posts, read 239,436 times
Reputation: 741
Today is a lovely day in La Jolla. H and I are heading out for a walk soon. Enjoy your weekend!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 04:26 PM
 
48 posts, read 33,662 times
Reputation: 33
We're at Scripps Beach now. Absolutely beautiful day today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 08:44 PM
 
7,463 posts, read 5,439,100 times
Reputation: 9401
Happy Birthday, Bilbo! We ordered the nice weather today just for you!

If you do go to La Mesa tomorrow, I'd suggest you do the following:

- Take the 8 to Lake Murray Boulevard exit. Take Lake Murray Boulevard over the freeway and drive around the Lake Murray/San Carlos area a bit. (You can visit the actual Lake Murray Park by taking Kiowa Drive off of Lake Murray Blvd. Nice walking trail around the lake). In terms of driving around, take Lake Murray Blvd to Baltimore Drive, turn north (it will be a left). Baltimore will turn into Lake Shore. When you reach Jackson Drive, turn left again, then look for Golfcrest Drive, turn left onto it and drive around that neighborhood. San Carlos is the area on the hill to the west of this area.

- After you explore the Lake Murray avenue, get back on Jackson and follow it south until you get to La Mesa Blvd. Head west (it will be a right turn) on it. (If you do this part first, take the spring street exit from 8, head south to La Mesa Blvd). This will lead you into the village area of La Mesa. Consider parking and having lunch at one of the restaurants in the village. A couple of good ones: Bo-Beau (french-American), Farmers Table (farm fresh American) Fourpenny House (scottish food). Or, if you don't want lunch, have coffee at Sheldon's Service Station or maybe stop in for beers at Coin Haus. These (and others) are all on La Mesa Blvd (Coin Haus is tucked behind Bo-Beau). There are other craft beer places in La Mesa too. There are also some interesting (non-chain) shops in the Village as well. Then drive around the areas in the hills above the village.


If you're heading east, you may also want to do a quick check of Rancho San Diego, which is just to the east of the village of la mesa, off the 94.


In Santee, the area I'd suggest you explore would be the area around Santee Lakes (you can find the lakes on google) as well as the Carleton Hills area.

Have fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 09:18 PM
 
48 posts, read 33,662 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
Today is a lovely day in La Jolla. H and I are heading out for a walk soon. Enjoy your weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
We're at Scripps Beach now. Absolutely beautiful day today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Happy Birthday, Bilbo! We ordered the nice weather today just for you!

If you do go to La Mesa tomorrow, I'd suggest you do the following:

- Take the 8 to Lake Murray Boulevard exit. Take Lake Murray Boulevard over the freeway and drive around the Lake Murray/San Carlos area a bit. (You can visit the actual Lake Murray Park by taking Kiowa Drive off of Lake Murray Blvd. Nice walking trail around the lake). In terms of driving around, take Lake Murray Blvd to Baltimore Drive, turn north (it will be a left). Baltimore will turn into Lake Shore. When you reach Jackson Drive, turn left again, then look for Golfcrest Drive, turn left onto it and drive around that neighborhood. San Carlos is the area on the hill to the west of this area.

- After you explore the Lake Murray avenue, get back on Jackson and follow it south until you get to La Mesa Blvd. Head west (it will be a right turn) on it. (If you do this part first, take the spring street exit from 8, head south to La Mesa Blvd). This will lead you into the village area of La Mesa. Consider parking and having lunch at one of the restaurants in the village. A couple of good ones: Bo-Beau (french-American), Farmers Table (farm fresh American) Fourpenny House (scottish food). Or, if you don't want lunch, have coffee at Sheldon's Service Station or maybe stop in for beers at Coin Haus. These (and others) are all on La Mesa Blvd (Coin Haus is tucked behind Bo-Beau). There are other craft beer places in La Mesa too. There are also some interesting (non-chain) shops in the Village as well. Then drive around the areas in the hills above the village.


If you're heading east, you may also want to do a quick check of Rancho San Diego, which is just to the east of the village of la mesa, off the 94.


In Santee, the area I'd suggest you explore would be the area around Santee Lakes (you can find the lakes on google) as well as the Carleton Hills area.

Have fun!
Thanks for the bday wishes!

Rosie, I'm actually in one of our rooms (We're staying at the Pantai Inn) plotting out the drive for tomorrow, before I saw your reply. This is the order I had planned to follow tomorrow:

Del Cerro
Tierrasanta
San Carlos
La Mesa
Rancho San Diego
Rolling Hills Ranch
Otay Ranch
Rancho Del Rey

I originally had Santee on the list but after doing some research on the temperature differences, I decided to take it off the list for now. Rancho San Diego seems to be similar to Santee weather wise, but still a few degrees cooler. I don't mind the heat, but my wife....eh.

We're on a bit of a time crunch tomorrow since we're changing hotels and need to check out by noon. We'll be on the road early, probably around 8, so we can get back and grab some breakfast before heading downtown.

I'll report back in the afternoon tomorrow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 01:15 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,921 times
Reputation: 15
I lived in the Bay Area (Morgan Hill) until April of this year. I sold my home and was able to score a new build with a view lot in Temecula. After all was said and done, I paid $688K for a 4,121 sqft home. The house also has a "NextGen" suite that I rent out for extra $$$. HOA is less than $50 because all they do is manage the landscape in front and on all public areas.

I don't have any school-aged children but the neighborhood is zoned for top tier schools. If I remember correctly, the Temecula school district as a whole is good.

For retail: There's a Trader Joes, Sprouts, Macy's, JC Penny, Sears, Nordstrom Rack, and a slew of other shopping options. Apple and Coach have locations here too.

If you want nightlife, the Pechanga Casino and Resort is great! I don't even gamble; I just go there to eat at the restaurants! Great prices, good food, and amazing service. They're a AAA 4 Diamond business so you're treated like royalty every visit. Old Town Temecula has bars, restaurants, shops, etc. Wine country is also an option. Lots of wineries to visit!

If you have spare time, I would come check Temecula out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM
 
48 posts, read 33,662 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physiotherapist View Post
I lived in the Bay Area (Morgan Hill) until April of this year. I sold my home and was able to score a new build with a view lot in Temecula. After all was said and done, I paid $688K for a 4,121 sqft home. The house also has a "NextGen" suite that I rent out for extra $$$. HOA is less than $50 because all they do is manage the landscape in front and on all public areas.

I don't have any school-aged children but the neighborhood is zoned for top tier schools. If I remember correctly, the Temecula school district as a whole is good.

For retail: There's a Trader Joes, Sprouts, Macy's, JC Penny, Sears, Nordstrom Rack, and a slew of other shopping options. Apple and Coach have locations here too.

If you want nightlife, the Pechanga Casino and Resort is great! I don't even gamble; I just go there to eat at the restaurants! Great prices, good food, and amazing service. They're a AAA 4 Diamond business so you're treated like royalty every visit. Old Town Temecula has bars, restaurants, shops, etc. Wine country is also an option. Lots of wineries to visit!

If you have spare time, I would come check Temecula out.
Temecula was on my list early on, but our time on this trip is limited because of other activities we had planed...and some I wasn't aware of like my sons and niece showing up. Also, I'm a little leary of staying that far inland. I know I'll love the actual neighborhoods because from the searches I've done, the houses there appealed to me to me the most. Show me roof tiles and a turret and you've got my attention. Also, we're not interested in more sq/ft than we have now (2,700). We're trying to downsize our upkeep and maintenance. Condos and townhomes fit that bill, but because of the dog situation, it's not a viable option right now.

The reality is we'll probably end up selling again in 7 years or so to move into a condo/townhome, but for right now we need a SFH that's 2,000 sq/ft-ish or less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 01:17 PM
 
7,463 posts, read 5,439,100 times
Reputation: 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
Temecula was on my list early on, but our time on this trip is limited because of other activities we had planed...and some I wasn't aware of like my sons and niece showing up. Also, I'm a little leary of staying that far inland. I know I'll love the actual neighborhoods because from the searches I've done, the houses there appealed to me to me the most. Show me roof tiles and a turret and you've got my attention. Also, we're not interested in more sq/ft than we have now (2,700). We're trying to downsize our upkeep and maintenance. Condos and townhomes fit that bill, but because of the dog situation, it's not a viable option right now.

The reality is we'll probably end up selling again in 7 years or so to move into a condo/townhome, but for right now we need a SFH that's 2,000 sq/ft-ish or less.
I like Temecula, but since you've said that quick access to a major airport is a factor for you, Temecula might not be an ideal choice for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 07:47 PM
 
48 posts, read 33,662 times
Reputation: 33
Okay..we're done with scouting for the weekend. There's a lot I need to type here and I'm going from memory and notes I took while my wife drove. My apologies if I get things mixed up or forget something.

Before I begin though....some observations.

I thought San Francisco and Oakland had a ton of scooters...but SD (including La Jolla) beats them both hand down. No question. Scooters everywhere. Scooters in the middle of the road....scooters in stairwells....scooters scooters scooters. And it all came to a head today when we went to Old Town and saw the mountain of scooters at the entrance.

Downtown SD was like a ghost town today when we arrived about 1pm. It's still pretty empty. I'm comparing this to downtown SF. I didn't mind it at all honestly. It was good to walk around and not have to battle human hordes.

The weather is still as beautiful as I remember it 20 or so years ago. I don't want to leave tomorrow. My kids don't want to leave either.

The homeless/mental health issues that SD is facing is something that a LOT of major cities are facing. I'm not downplaying the issue here in SD at all when I say this...and I've only been downtown less than a day...but from what I've seen since coming in on Friday isn't ANYWHERE as bad as most other cities. Perception is key here. People that have lived here a while remember when the issues weren't as prevalent so in their eyes it's gotten much worse. If you come here from the Bay Area you'd say to yourself...this is nowhere near as bad as it could be. Hopefully SD (and other cities) find solutions for the growing # of people who are either homeless, have mental health issues or both. Sorry for the rant!

Last observation....

The # of lifted pickups and jeeps is TOO DAMN HIGH!! What the hell San Diego?!?!?

Before I start I need to disclose that in these areas we visited, I picked a house that fit the criteria we would be looking for and headed to that address. We drove around a little in the nearby areas and then headed to the next location.


Ok first up is Tierrasanta. Older houses that for the most part were maintained. Nothing against Del Cerro, but we crossed that off our list.

Next was Del Cerro. Lots of RVs parked in the street and in driveways. Jacked up jeeps (complete with missing rear bumpers), rusted cars (I'm talking completely rusted, like instead of paint all over the car, there was just a layer of rust all over the car). Pickups with 4 flat tires in driveways....this was a hard NO for us.

Next up, San Carlos. Things are starting to look up. Nice views, nicer homes. A lot of RVs though (nothing against RVs!). The homes here seemed to be more unique and not "cookie cutter". Retail seemed to be decent (going from memory). In hindsight we should've been taking pictures while driving around so we could refer back to them. San Carlos was nice.

La Mesa was next. I followed Rosie's advice and did the "tour". This was a very nice area. It had unique homes, a nice lake, and lots of...something I wrote down while my wife was driving the rental minivan like it was a 911, but now I can't read it because it looks like gibberish. Whatever it was, it was positive. We liked La Mesa.

Last up, eastern Chula Vista. As foretold by prophecy.....we liked it a lot. Hands down, if we had to choose today it would be either Rancho San Diego, Rolling Hills Ranch, Otay Ranch or Rancho Del Rey. They were all very similar. Well kept homes, there seemed to be WAY more diversity that I was expecting. For us, that's a good thing. The only differences that we saw between the 4 areas was that Otay Ranch homes were closer together AND they didn't have the uniqueness among them like the other areas. I wouldn't say they were "cookie cutter" homes, but they weren't far off. Still, we liked them anyways. All 4 areas were scenic, and had a nice selection of retail/shopping.

Eastern Chula Vista wins here, with La Mesa a close second. I know we didn't spend a lot of time in any one place, but at least we've narrowed it down and can focus on those areas for future trips. I'm sure we missed something, or my descriptions don't completely reflect the areas we were driving through. If anyone has anything else to share with me, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 PM
 
7,463 posts, read 5,439,100 times
Reputation: 9401
You sure made the most of your time in the San Diego area; you obviously did your homework before you arrived, and it sounds like it paid off for you. I really appreciate that you took the time to come back and share what areas you visited and your impressions of the different areas - they will be helpful to other people thinking about coming to San Diego for a scouting visit.

Let us know when you're back in town, and have a safe trip back home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top