U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-21-2008, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
Default Pacific Beach- a good home??

Hey! I'm planning on moving to the San Diego area this summer, but I'm unsure of which area would be best for me. I've been doing some research. I'm from a small town in Virginia. I love the idea of a big city, but think that maybe I should try something on the outskirts. I was thinking about Pacific Beach because being close to the beach is important to me. It's pretty easy to access freeways, right? And I'm a dog-loverrr! I'm planning on getting a smaller dog once I've moved out there. I def. want to be west of 5. Any advice/ suggestions you might have? Other neighborhoods you would recommend?? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM

163 posts, read 515,739 times
Pacific Beach is one of the best areas to live in San Diego. I have cousins that live there. Its pretty crowded though during the summer. It starts getting crowded in June and then July and August are the busiest. Alot of foreigners (Brazilians and Europeans), tourists, and college kids out for summer. The rent is pretty high, some places are like $1250 for one bedroom. Alot of people just rent a room from someone, alot of cheaper, maybe $500-$600 a month. Plenty of places to walk your dog, Mission Bay and the PB-MB boardwalk. The weather is the best in the US. The hottest is gets is maybe 80-85 degrees. Most days around 70. Alot of partying in PB with alot of younger people and nightclubs.

Unread 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,221 times
A little tough to get to the 5.The streets are small and congested.The post from caliguy sums it all up though.

Unread 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM

522 posts, read 932,907 times
Great area, if you enjoy the occassional:
drunk passing out on your lawn,
loud drunks walking the streets at any given hour of the night from/to the bars,
cliques of hostile drunks hanging out in the front yard.
OB is worse. More drugs in that area.
That's how it is for the most part. You may find some quieter areas. But in general, the neighborhoods are like this.
I'd say to look up Point Loma or La Jolla. They are qay quieter areas, and you'd stil be close enough to PB if thats what your looking for. PB is a cool spot for going bar hopping. But more generally geared towards people in their mid-twentys that dont get bothered by these things.
May want to look at Clairemont as well by the bay. Quieter area, yet you're still close to the water.

Unread 04-21-2008, 04:57 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,098,949 times
PB is great. Probably the worst thing is the difficulty parking, especially during the summer/spring.

You could end up circling your block for awhile trying to find that elusive space.

Its a little packed heading towards the 5, but not too bad. PB is great. Lots of places to walk to and eat. 24 hour fitness right there, Ralphs...very pedestrian friendly.

Unread 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM

163 posts, read 515,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
PB is great. Probably the worst thing is the difficulty parking, especially during the summer/spring.

You could end up circling your block for awhile trying to find that elusive space.

You are so right. I remember 4th Of July last year. It was sooooooooo packed. There were parking lots charging people $50 for parking. All you saw down there were taxis shuttling people to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego