U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:50 PM

856 posts, read 1,435,872 times

Advertisements

Great posts by everybody. I just transplanted here about 3 months ago from NYC, and the only thing I am complaining about is the nightlife here is "DEAD". Yes, I came from NYC, but I also used to live in LA which is not even close to NYC mass population.

I think it sounds like SD is for you. And I don't think traffic is bad at all. I get to work in 30 minutes, driving locally for 12 miles. Best commute ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM

489 posts, read 988,708 times
There are lots of walkable neighborhoods besides Hillcrest/ Downtown: North Park, Normal Heights , Carlsbad village, Mira Mesa, Del Mar, La Jolla

Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 PM

957 posts, read 2,417,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Great posts by everybody. I just transplanted here about 3 months ago from NYC, and the only thing I am complaining about is the nightlife here is "DEAD". Yes, I came from NYC, but I also used to live in LA which is not even close to NYC mass population.

I think it sounds like SD is for you. And I don't think traffic is bad at all. I get to work in 30 minutes, driving locally for 12 miles. Best commute ever.
Is the nightlife in SD dead period or just dead relative to NYC and LA? The past few times I went I had lots of fun, but then again I was in my early 20's and hung out in PB. I kinda feel I've grown out of that phase and would prefer a more grown up club/bar. Are they just not around in SD?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:11 PM

349 posts, read 1,084,397 times
The "grown up" clubs/bars are in the downtown "Gaslamp District" and La Jolla area.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 AM

856 posts, read 1,435,872 times
No, not relative to NYC or LA. Everything closes by 9pm except for bars/clubs. That's one criteria of calling the nightlife dead. Downtown is horrible. I don't like the crowd there, too obnoxious. I haven't been to La Jolla, but I wouldn't think it's good anyway.

I have two friends that came to visit from the Midwest a week ago, and they expected alot more from SD. They were disappointed with the night life.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 AM

489 posts, read 988,708 times
You should get a copy of "Citybeat" each week. . . there's tons of clubs/bars/galleries/ boutiques. . . .

Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
No, not relative to NYC or LA. Everything closes by 9pm except for bars/clubs. That's one criteria of calling the nightlife dead. Downtown is horrible. I don't like the crowd there, too obnoxious. I haven't been to La Jolla, but I wouldn't think it's good anyway.

I have two friends that came to visit from the Midwest a week ago, and they expected alot more from SD. They were disappointed with the night life.
What stays open in NYC past 9pm that's not a bar or club? I'm not a native of course, but have been there quite a few times and noticed that some things don't stay open that late in NYC either except restaurants and bars/clubs. I've noticed that is typical of other cities too. I just don't get what's different.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 AM

3,694 posts, read 6,850,075 times
Quote:

If you think that everything in town closes at 9:00, then you aren't looking hard enough. There are places scattered around downtown (outside of the Gaslamp), Hillcrest, North Park, Banker's Hill, PB, among others, that stay open fairly late, especially on weekends.

I've been to Chicago and wouldn't exactly call it a 24 hour city. Where were your friends visiting from?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 AM

451 posts, read 1,439,569 times
Ok, here we are on Monday. We talked it over and we're going to do it. We're moving to San Diego. Not anything immediate, as we have plenty of loose ends to tie up, but next year we'll pack our things and head west.

Thanks so much to everyone for your supportive and informative posts.

I'm nervous but really excited to turn the page on this new chapter in life.

A while down the road I will focus on getting at least one job offer before we leave. I don't like being out of work, and it will be a lot of help to me psychologically knowing I'll have income ready to come in once I arrive.

I am under no illusions about how difficult it is to get a job offer sight unseen from 3,000 miles away, but I have to try. I'll have to do a lot of research and be very proactive, but I'll do my absolute best. Failing that, I may start up a little freelance business on the side here. We'll be able to save plenty of money to live out there for several months, but I'd really like to hit the ground running and at least have some interviews ready to go upon arrival.

With everything we've heard and everything you folks have written, SD seems like a place we can call home someday.

With respect to the recent posts on nightlife, A. it CAN'T be worse than DC; and B. that's not really our thing anymore now that we're married.

It's been years since I've gone out on a Saturday night looking to meet women.

As far as the people go, I've found in every city in which I've lived that there are meatheads/d-bags in all the "saturday night destination bars," be they in Adams-Morgan or Georgetown here in DC, the East Village in Manhattan, Philly's South Street, LoDo in Denver or anywhere else.

All I need as far as nightlife goes is a nice "neighborhood bar" where I can relax, watch some TV, shoot a little pool or chat it up with friends.

Ok thanks again everyone, I'll be returning to this forum periodically with questions about neighborhoods and so forth.

See you all later!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM

That's great Jim!! Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego