U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM

581 posts, read 1,313,153 times

Advertisements

Please don't be offended by my general opinions.. I'm not trying to offend
anyone.. I'm just looking to pointers to nice apt complexes that meet my
needs/wants..

I was in SD Thur-Fri-Sat and I totally struck out finding nice apartments..

I had 2 interviews in SD. One was in Rancho Bernardo which I nixed due
to being so far out there in no-man's land.

The other job was in San Diego where Balboa crosses the 163. I liked
this work location a lot but finding a trendy, clean, fancy apt like what
I was used to in Irvine CA was impossible if you want to be close to the ocean.

I was hot (94) the 3 days I was there so I found that I wanted to be
west of the 805.. Anything East of the 805 seemed too dry and desert-like.
I also wanted to be North of the 8 because downtown just seemed too
tense for me.

I loved the breeze and laid back feel of PB but the apts were all dumps out there...

La Jolla- The new apts were all on La Jolla Village Dr and what a congested mess!
I didn't like the feel. I felt like a mouse in a maze.

The only thing close to my liking was the Avion at Spectrum which is located
near where the 163 and Balboa cross. But it's right next to an airstrip and
you hear planes coming and going.. And it's not as close to the ocean as
I would like... (it was 94 and very very dry at this apt location)

I am looking for an apt complex like "the Avion at Spectrum" that is:
West of the 805, N of the 8, and South of where 805 & 5 meet. I need
a 1 bedroom with 1 car garage up to $2000/mo.

Does this exist??

I know there are REALLY nice apts in high-rises downtown but I felt a little
too "closed in"/claustrophobic/nerved-up while driving in downtown..

The elusive match would be a newer complex like "the Avion at Spectrum"
that was located in PB or slightly North/South of PB. Everything between
the 5 and 805 seemed old and sketchy..

???
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM

10,419 posts, read 13,967,197 times
In Pacific Beach the Avalon at Mission Bay complex is the only large, nicer complex I can really think of. There are some really nice, newer apartments around the area but they tend to be in smaller buildings of less than 8 units and don't have all those big apartment complex amenities like a gym, tennis courts, pools, ect....

Since you don't seem to want to live in the La Jolla/UTC area, try Mission Valley. That area is filled with tons of huge, newer apartment complexes. But the area is very developed with plenty of traffic but pretty much everything you need is there in terms of retail, dining, and entertainment and most places are within walking distance of a Trolley stop. It's a very central location with close access to Downtown, the beaches, La Jolla/UTC, and Clairemont.

From the types of complex you want to live in it's probably either gonna be in Mission Valley or the La Jolla/UTC area. The housing stock near the beaches tend to be fairly older.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,588,694 times
San Diego has always been a single-family home town. Apartment buildings really didn't come until the 60's and most were built with typical late 60's and 70's shoddiness. It wasn't until really recently that the luxury apartment and condo started to appear on the scene. Even today, there is a stigma associated with apartment living in San Diego that you will not find elsewhere, although that is on the wane nowadays.

Last edited by Sassberto; 04-28-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Yes I saw "Avalon at Mission Bay".. The apt I saw there was still old and shoddy..
And the complex I am told is a total zoo at night with loud parties til 5am every
night.. I need to sleep from 11PM-7AM so I can work the next day..

"Mission Valley" seemed like a really busy area.. I have to admit I didn't look at
any apts in that area because the 8 was such a busy/high traffic area that ran
straight through the valley.. Maybe I'll have to re-consider Mission Valley..
I guess my choices are limited...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM

489 posts, read 998,679 times
You're gonna have to get a better attitude, IMO. There are apartments all over the city, many nice ones. Check craigslist, rent.com, also just drive in the neighborhoods. . . North Park, Hillcrest, South Park, East Village, University Heights, Little Italy, tons of places downtown. There are lots of guys and gals your age living and having a blast in these and many other areas. One other thing, if you go North or South of Garnet in PB, there are nice complexes, away from the clubs on Garnet. Also talk to people on yelp.com, young hip crowd that could steer you in a better direction

Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,470,264 times
Im sure youll be able to find anything you had in Irvine.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 AM

3,708 posts, read 6,931,736 times
You must remember that San Diego is a big, older city, while Irvine is much smaller, fairly new and basically a suburb. That said, you won't find large swaths of new condo projects (ala Phoenix and Las Vegas) along the coast here like you would up there. I just gotta say that I'd call Irvine alot of things, but I certainly wouldn't call it trendy.

UTC is just what you described, and I always thought it resembled Orange County because everything in the area is so new. There are some luxury rentals in that area worth looking into. IMO, the traffic here isn't as bad as the Irvine area.

Mission Valley also has many newer projects (Riverwalk, La Mirage, Archstone, among other). Like others have said, it's a busy area (lots of chain restaurants and retail) , but it's central location can't be beat. As you noticed, the freeway cutting thru there can be a bit intimidating.

Carmel Valley/Torrey Hills might work for you. It's in between La Jolla and Del Mar and located a mile or 2 from the coast. Everything is new and there are plenty of luxury rentals in the area.

Your other options are further north along the 15 freeway, but since you want to be closer to the ocean, this area isn't for you.

I have been to Avion at Spectrum and while it's nice, it's stuck in the middle of nowhere. What I mean is that it's in a business area and not in a neighborhood.

Good luck to you

Old 04-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Yes, Avion at Spectrum was perfect for me except the location.
I was looking at an apt there when I heard a low flying airplane
passover. I heard it from the inside of the apt which didn't thrill
me. Also being right inside an idustrial park isn't the best location.

Arcadia @ Stonecrest and Camden right next door looked ok also
but they still seem to be in back of office areas.

Mission Valley- It was a parking lot on 8 when I went to look so I
passed it by.

UTC- I'll have to look again..

Anything nice in Hillcrest or University Heights? I've been looking at craigslist
for condos in these 2 areas also but nothing so far for $2000 tops..

Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 AM

489 posts, read 998,679 times
God you sound like a whiny girl - - Drive around Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights. . . there are many rent signs out, then just visit the manager, and they will take you on a tour. Also, go back to Mission Valley- - - That area will have what you were used to in Irvine. . .

Old 04-29-2008, 12:08 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,470,264 times
Hillcrest has lots of new places.

No offense, but you make Irvine sound like Manhattan, haha.

Mission Valley's never been my scene as far as neighborhoods, but I don't see how Irvine is any better. Lots of new apartment complexes like sdurbanite listed. Some really nice ones too.

A buddy of mine used to go back and forth between school in UCSD and staying with his dad in Irvine. He preferred SD way more, and I had to agree since Irvine seemed pretty bland and boring.
Not trying ot knock too hard on Irvine, and I'm not being biased, considering I dont live in SD.

Oh, and as far as aircraft over head, lots of the "cooler" neighborhoods in San Diego have helicopters overhead pretty frequently. San Diego is slightly more urban that most of OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego