U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 AM

7 posts, read 42,009 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first posting here so bear with me! I don't have too much money and was just wondering what neighborhoods in the city (I wouldn't want to live in the suburbs) would be cheapest to rent a place in but not have really high crime rates (ie. safe enough for a 20 year old female to walk home through at night). I also don't really know how much it would cost to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego. It wouldn't have to be nice, just livable. Does anyone have an estimate? If you could help that would be great! Thanks a lot!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 AM

1,658 posts, read 5,130,640 times
Everyone wanting to move says "I want cheep and safe."Nothing here is cheep and you need a target number on how much you want to spend.Without a good and specific question,you won't get good and specific answers.

BTW-It sounds like you want to move here pretty bad.Do you?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 AM

yeah i do! i'm sick of minneapolis weather! well here in minneapolis i pay $450 a month for a 5 bedroom living with 4 other people..i would hope pay around that there..but i don't know if that's very realistic..i would love to live in the city so if anyone could just tell me neighborhoods that are cheapest that would be awesome and then i'd go from there i guess!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 AM

489 posts, read 986,377 times
Welcome You would enjoy North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest, South Park, Golden Hill ( all fun, funky, shops, restaurants, clubs, boutiques) These are urban areas close to downtown, pretty safe, but just like Minneapolis at night, you have to keep your guard up a bit if you are gonna be out really late. You could check out Yelp.com., the young hip crowd chats there and could be even more help Also, downtown has lots of places for rent right now, very walkable to lots of things. Check craigslist too . Downtown areas where young people live are East Village, Little Italy, Marina district, and Gaslamp.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 AM

thanks a lot!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenarmadillo View Post
yeah i do! i'm sick of minneapolis weather! well here in minneapolis i pay $450 a month for a 5 bedroom living with 4 other people..i would hope pay around that there..but i don't know if that's very realistic..i would love to live in the city so if anyone could just tell me neighborhoods that are cheapest that would be awesome and then i'd go from there i guess!
OHH SNAP!!!
450???I was in Tampa and they said 605 was cheep!!!

The places mentioned above pretty much sum it up.Central City areas in the Eastside and Downtown areas are ok,more hit and miss.There are areas where crime is a little high but other than that they should be good.N.Park,Normal,Kensington,Hillcrest,Little Italy,Golden Hill ect ect.If you wiki San Diego and go to "urban neighborhoods" under climate,places in Eastern,Mid-City,Western,Central are the ones that fit your question.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 AM

ok awesome! thanks dudes!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,327 times
Default going to SD too

Leaving Grand Forks North Dakota I pay 470 for a 2 bd with garage ! but no work.

Wanting to attend Mesa.. any good suggestions for off campus living.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenarmadillo View Post
ok awesome! thanks dudes!
Your welcome.
We're here to help
Just another tip,searching apartments right?
If so I have a method I use because I am searching in Las Vegas.

My personal thing is forrent.com/rent.com/apartments.com
I use a target price(785-845 for Las Vegas so maybe like 1400-1625 maybe here)
Apartmentratings.com is a good site to see what people said about apartments.But if no one rated the complex,or it's say inder 25% I just skip it.After that, google map it.You can street view or sat. the location of the apartment.I do a lot more,but that is just because Vegas is a lot more dangerous than SD.

Hope this helps too.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdq View Post
Leaving Grand Forks North Dakota I pay 470 for a 2 bd with garage ! but no work.

Wanting to attend Mesa.. any good suggestions for off campus living.
Just stay around from Linda Vista,Parts of Clairmont,and a few streets in Serra Mesa.Other than that you should be fine.Like said before,how much are you willing to pay?Have you done research?Do you need amenities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego