Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 41,606 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were in San Diego this past weekend driving around neighborhoods to get a feel for housing prices and what areas we might set a realtor on.

We really liked the houses around Melrose in Carlsbad and San Marcos. (Adobe type, newer (1990's +), 1600+ square feet, 4bd or 3 w/den)
The price range seemed like you got more for your $$. Seemed like you got a lot for your money in the 500-600 range.
Are all these homes in the San Marcos school district?
I have been hearing some conflicting info on the high schools -- San Marcos High and Mission Hills. People said Mission Hills was somewhat better. From the demographics, in both schools whites are the minority. I am fine with diversity (my high school was 40% minority), but I am concerned with my girls being picked on if they are in the minority (being white). Is this an issue?
Also, for Carlsbad there is one high school called Carlsbad Village Academy that had lower scores than Carlsbad HS. I found the boundary map for Carlsbad School district that shows the boundaries for elementary and middle schools, but it does not show who goes to this small high school of only 100+ kids. What is the deal? Who goes to Carlsbad Village Academy?

We are checking to make sure there are houses we like that have schools of at least a 6 on greatschool.net (our current elementary is a 3) in the 500-600 range.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM

786 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S888 View Post
We are checking to make sure there are houses we like that have schools of at least a 6 on greatschool.net (our current elementary is a 3) in the 500-600 range.

Thanks for your help!
I don't have info on these areas for you but just be aware that you can't compare ratings on greatschools between states. The scores are based on the state's standards and so you can only compare schools within the same state. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
6 on greatschools in Southern California might mean a very iffy school. Personally I would set the threshold at 8 or above. I know that the 5's in my area have some pretty serious problems.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM

I did more research. Area looks like I was in La Costa and San Elijo Hills area (?). Both go to San Elijo Middle school and San Marcos High for 2008-2009.
Both got an 8 on greatschools.net.
So I guess the question boils down to -- San Marcos High ok school?
I know most schools you get drugs, gangs etc. I'm not sure what I mean by ok, I know it would help if I would be more specific. Hmm, I'm not looking for a high school like they had on the tv program The O.C., but also don't want a high school like the ones in the movies where the substitute starts carrying a bat (lol). Anyone go there? Opinions? Thanks much!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM

264 posts, read 1,386,778 times
I don't know if this helps any, and I know some people are going to not believe this, but San Marcos high was rated one of the 1000 top schools (#421), in the country by Newsweek (for what that's worth). I don't know what their grading criteria was to rank the schools. My impression is that the high school has been improving it's reputation. My kid is still too young, he goes to elementary school in San Marcos, so I can't give any first or second-hand accounts of what's it like to attend. Hopefully someone here can give you a good account of the school.

Sounds like Carlsbad Village Academy is a private school of some kind?

The housing developments you mentioned are indeed part of the San Marcos and possibly La Costa school districts. The district has been moving kids around in the western parts of San Marcos (not sure about the southwestern parts (San Elijo Hills), because they're opening a new school in the northwest part of San Marcos. You might double-check with the district before buying, just in case they haven't updated their website yet on boundary changes.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Found the Newsweek list. It is interesting. They use a ratio for AP tests for the # of kids who graduate. It at least might show that a school encourages AP tests. Not sure if the order on the list is accurate, but being on the list seems to be a good sign. (lol one of our #1 schools is much lower than expected.)
My kids are young (5 and 4), so things may change much by the time they get to high school anyway. The high school was just the one that I wasn't sure of. The Elementary and Middle schools in the area seemed solid.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 PM

264 posts, read 1,386,778 times
San Elijo Hills Elementary is in it's first year, but the chatter I hear from parents is that it seems pretty good - same with the middle school. Discovery Elementary is good.
Some of the kids in Old Creek Ranch (along San Elijo Hills Rd just off Rancho Santa Fe) & further north off Rancho Santa Fe go to La Costa Meadows. Parents like that school, as well.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM

365 posts, read 1,414,344 times
Where will you be working and what needs do you have? Its awesome to see how much you care for your children!! I'll do a search on the house vs. price in that area and get back to you. Its good to learn more about the schools there since my wife and I have been looking to move there since we enjoy college cities and Cal State San Marcos is growing and will be great.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:15 AM

957 posts, read 3,341,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
6 on greatschools in Southern California might mean a very iffy school. Personally I would set the threshold at 8 or above. I know that the 5's in my area have some pretty serious problems.
Wow, then I dread to think what the 4s and below are like.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Wow, then I dread to think what the 4s and below are like.
In the case of an elementary school, basically you are just looking at a large ESL population. For middle and above, you start getting into the more serious behavior problems, fighting, gangs, et...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego