Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times

Advertisements

I live just east of the 15 freeway, and been here for 8 years without A/C. It wasn't until last Summer that we purchased a portable air conditioner (big, ugly thing on wheels and costs about $500.00).

After the first night of having it, I cursed out loud why we didn't get one of these things a long time ago! Do you NEED A/C? Not really, especially if you have ceiling fans, but I'll tell you, it makes living more comfortable.

We didn't need to bust it out during the most recent heatwave where temps were in the mid 90's, because the air was so dry. The heat spells during August is when A/C will come in handy.

Here's a link from The Weather Channel showing average monthly temps for the 92128 zip code Average Weather for San Diego, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisive View Post
Is air conditioning needed in the carmel mountain ranch zip 92128 area? how hot do the summers get? will fans be enough?

I would say yes....but there are many house in the San Diego area that have never had A/C in them. Depends on your comfort zone. I'm from the East Coast and even the hottest days here don't bother me to much. But I do have to run the A/C ocassional at night during hot times, but not during the day. I live in East Chula Vista 91910 zip code.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:04 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
So has it been hot enough for my fellow "15 corridor and all points east" neighbors to justify turning on your air conditioner at home? Just wondering....

Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
So has it been hot enough for my fellow "15 corridor and all points east" neighbors to justify turning on your air conditioner at home? Just wondering....
YES! And I live just West of 15! I have been very frugal about it though and tried to just use it upstairs at night with the temp set high - keeping all the blinds and curtains shut during the day to prevent it from getting too hot in the house, and using the ceiling fans. Looks like we can finally turn it off today though. I actually miss the May gray that we are supposed to be having!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
It's 7:30am right now and I actually had to close all my windows this morning...it was too cold! Now if it starts to warm up my house will stay cool like this until mid-afternoon. That heat wave was awful, I love San Diego's cool mornings and evenings.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Yep. I only needed to turn it on in the evenings, the house stays cool during most of the day.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 PM

71 posts, read 210,979 times
STILL didn't turn it on during this past heat wave. Got to 83 in the house.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 PM

95 posts, read 409,130 times
It gets hot here. Perhaps we have become spoiled by the weather, but we nonetheless complain--especially during the summer months. I live at Mission Beach and in July & August, I wish I had an AC.

AJ

Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
Yeah, I would struggle without a/c... as some people I know who live in coastal areas did during the recent heat wave -- I know of people who said they literally did not sleep a minute some nights. Everyone's tolerance is different to heat, but for me, if it's above 75 in the house, sleeping is simply not going to happen. And if you have allergies that prevent you from opening windows during Santa Anas... look out... it could hit 90s in your house, and that's near the coast! (at least, that was our experience when the a/c cut out).

So if you have allergies or a low heat tolerance... I think a/c is necessary without question. If you don't have allergies and don't mind heat, you might be alright without a/c.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisive View Post
Is air conditioning needed in the carmel mountain ranch zip 92128 area? how hot do the summers get? will fans be enough?
We lived in 92128 for almost 4 years. We would have died without A/C. It ran pretty much 365 days a year.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego