Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 05:50 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's quite unfortunate. Who were the other former 'Bolts who committed suicide due to concussions (CTE)?
Can't really say all the bolts that committed suicide from CTE.
However, most of the Charger team members that appeared in their Superbowl show, are dead.

It's really quite shocking, how many have taken their own lives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 12:30 PM

65 posts, read 103,065 times
Thanks for the input guys, I'll get a better feel for it when I go visit but seems like an affordable coastal area comparative to the surrounding areas!

Old 09-08-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usklx View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I'll get a better feel for it when I go visit but seems like an affordable coastal area comparative to the surrounding areas!
It is.
With everything being equal (house size/location, etc.,) As you go South from Oceanside, the real estate gets more expensive. Until you get to downtown. Once past Downtown, going South, the prices begin to cheapen slightly, all the way to the Mexican border.

For instance...

A $500K house in Oceanside is a

$650K house in Carlsbad, is a

$725K house in Encinitas, is a

$965K house in Del Mar, is a

$1.35M house in La Jolla, is a

$1.65M house downtown.

There are for comparison purposes only.

Same size house, same distance from water, same, same, same...

Old 09-09-2020, 02:55 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
It is.
With everything being equal (house size/location, etc.,) As you go South from Oceanside, the real estate gets more expensive. Until you get to downtown. Once past Downtown, going South, the prices begin to cheapen slightly, all the way to the Mexican border.

For instance...

$1.65M house downtown.

I'm pretty sure the most expensive parts of downtown, like Mission Hills, are cheaper than La Jolla and Del Mar, which have some of the most expensive real estate in the country. There are no houses right downtown, just high-rises, but the surrounding neighborhoods range from pretty pricey (Mission Hills) to almost affordable (South Park).

Old 09-09-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'm pretty sure the most expensive parts of downtown, like Mission Hills, are cheaper than La Jolla and Del Mar, which have some of the most expensive real estate in the country. There are no houses right downtown, just high-rises, but the surrounding neighborhoods range from pretty pricey (Mission Hills) to almost affordable (South Park).
Yeah, there's thousands of variables in what I wrote. I just wanted to give a very general overview of what to expect, value wise, with regards to a "typical" 1600' 3bd2ba home. (Even tho there aren't any in downtown/DelMar/La Jolla areas.)

And then, if picking an "ocean white water view" home, those #'s I posted go out the window...

Old 09-09-2020, 05:30 PM

65 posts, read 103,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
It is.

For instance...

$1.65M house downtown.

Thanks for your input, how do you think safety is compared to all of these places? We're coming with a family and safety is a major concern.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input, how do you think safety is compared to all of these places? We're coming with a family and safety is a major concern.
Oside still has a lot of sketchy areas, especially the homeless. The rest of those not so much. All good safe areas.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Oside is borderline ghetto. You have the transient military people then low income minority population and the CA locals who tend to fall in the lower to middle class range. It isn't NYC but if you are hip to the street you can tell there is a gang underbelly vibe going on in Oside. Some teens even wear OCEANSIDE hats with old English letters which is a gang thing.

It is what it is which will be obvious to you once you visit. The main avenue is lined with army navy stores cheap eats and trinket shops. A few scattered bars and that is pretty much it.

You will have access to the Coaster and Amtrak service which is a plus. The food options away from the beach can be decent and so can the big box amenities.

Otherwise you are neither here nor there. Too far from LA or SD to really have a life in either place. I'd say if all you cared about was being in a beach triangle OSide to Encinitas to OC you will be happy. I think if you expect to be branching out from those areas into SD very often Etc. you will get tired of the commute.

I am going on my 6th year in Encinitas which is 30 minutes away. I know the area fairly well. I will be moving closer to the border next Spring for personal reasons.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Oside is borderline ghetto. You have the transient military people then low income minority population and the CA locals who tend to fall in the lower to middle class range. It isn't NYC but if you are hip to the street you can tell there is a gang underbelly vibe going on in Oside. Some teens even wear OCEANSIDE hats with old English letters which is a gang thing.

It is what it is which will be obvious to you once you visit. The main avenue is lined with army navy stores cheap eats and trinket shops. A few scattered bars and that is pretty much it.

You will have access to the Coaster and Amtrak service which is a plus. The food options away from the beach can be decent and so can the big box amenities.

Otherwise you are neither here nor there. Too far from LA or SD to really have a life in either place. I'd say if all you cared about was being in a beach triangle OSide to Encinitas to OC you will be happy. I think if you expect to be branching out from those areas into SD very often Etc. you will get tired of the commute.

I am going on my 6th year in Encinitas which is 30 minutes away. I know the area fairly well. I will be moving closer to the border next Spring for personal reasons.
You nailed the downtown vibe perfectly.

Speaking of the Amtrak/Coaster/Metrolink/Bus/taxi terminal in Oceanside, right when the brand new facility opened up, they had a Burger King. I worked 2 blocks away from there, so I thought I'd walk there for a burger. This was around 1985-90, I think. The whole terminal was empty, except for me, and a street urchin. There were pic-nic tables set up outside in the breezeway. I order my burger and sit down and wait for my order to be ready. The street urchuin sits down o the other end of the table. Pulls out a shoe lace and wraps it around his arm. Shaking, he gives himself a shot of heroin. Blood goes spraying all over the table and my sleeve. He makes a real mess of his arm as he's shaking while the needle is tearing up his arm/vessel. He looks at me for about 10 seconds, and he says nothing. It's like he's looking right THRU me. Just then, my burger is ready. I take it to go.
In a nutshell, that's downtown Oceanside, up until recently.

The place is better now, but ask any woman if she prefer to walk around there alone, at night. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!

Old 09-12-2020, 12:10 PM

268 posts, read 205,959 times
Quote:

Where are you coming FROM?

Safety is relative. I'm a woman & I wouldn't be scared to walk around downtown Oceanside at night by myself, BUT, I've lived in Manhattan, downtown Chicago, downtown Philadelphia, Scottsdale, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Miami & New Orleans.

There are parts of Oceanside that actually used to be Carlsbad (near the 78) as well as parts that are very new & practically border Carlsbad. So, to characterize Oceanside as the "ghetto" is mostly describing the downtown area.

Also, the "ghetto" here is probably not as "ghetto" as in the deep south or midwest (cleveland, detroit).

I relocated here & worked in the OC for some years & thought it was an ideal location central to OC & SD, but definitely more suburban & "beachy" & less pretentious than the OC. I don't particularly like the "Truman show"/cookie cutter appeal of Encinitas/Carlsbad/etc which many are fond of---so, if you like that style more, most of Oceanside may not appeal to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego