U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM

47 posts, read 102,080 times

Advertisements

Before I start I must tell all of you how great the help you all provide is. I try and hop on every bit to answer some questions that I can, so now I am getting the chance to ask some of my own and really appreciate the help. My wife and 2 children (9 and 4) are wanting a change of scenery. we live in a suburb of South Seattle (Federal way 20 miles s. ) and have lived here for 20 years. we are both 33 years old. My wife is from San Francisco and has been wanting to move back to Cali for along time. I am a teacher and have a 2nd job as a bartender at The Cheesecake Factory. My wife is a registered nurse. We are not to worried about jobs, but we do not make that much moneu (around 90K) I am really wanting to quit my 2nd job(bartending)but living in southern Cali is really expensive. Is it even reasonable to think that we can afford a house down there?
Key things for us. I love beach volleyball and I really want to surf.
we are a beach family at heart for sure.
1. Can we buy anything within 20 miles of downtown San Diego and the beaches around 400K
2. Is the surf any good down there?
3. How is the volleyball?
Thanks so much in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM

34 posts, read 68,482 times
A change of sceneray is a good thing sometimes, but I would consider all the positives of the area you now live in before uprooting and moving to California, especially given the economic situation these days. They are laying off teachers in San Diego right now. I am imagine for nurses there is still a huge demand all over so that is good. Housing prices have gone down so I do believe you could find something for $400,000. It will probably be around 1500 sq. ft. It really depends on what kind of neighborhood you want, so its hard to say what you'll get and where you'll get it. I think you could rent a really nice place as well. I am not a surfer or a volleyball player so I can't comment but I imagine its good

Old 05-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks so much for the help.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM

489 posts, read 997,685 times
several volleyball nets up year-round in South Mission Beach, some really good players there on weekends. . .surfing is all over the area, Windansea Beach, Mission/Ocean beaches. . . enjoy

Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM

10,406 posts, read 13,949,114 times
I think with prices dropping as they are you should not have too much trouble finding a place for under or around $400k here. You just might have to settle for a slightly smaller house and lot size than you are used or if you want to live in one of the better neighborhoods might have to go with a townhouse or large condo. Right now the median price for all homes is just under $400k from what I read and some expect it to bottom out at $350k. Seems to be some good deals out there now.

San Diego is known for it's surf and beach culture, so you'll find some of the best surfing spots in American in Southern CA. Plenty of volleyball going on here too, especially in Pacific and Mission Beach. There are courts all up and down the coast you can set one up in many places. During the summer and throughout the year really there are people playing on the sand, and from the looks of it some are really good and take it seriously.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM

1,658 posts, read 5,178,330 times
I play volleyball at PB sometimes.It's great,just like sav858 said.I kind of think Hun.Bch in Orange County has more but we have plenty of sand courts here as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM

7,173 posts, read 18,572,972 times
under 400k you are going to be looking at a good selection of condos and townhomes, but even with the price declines your SFH options are limited. In the nicer areas, most of the houses under 400k tend to be 600-800sf cotttages on tiny lots (i.e. 2500sf), have no garage, are on major streets, etc. I looked at many of these houses. They are a good option if you are single and don't need much room.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

349 posts, read 1,094,670 times
If you could stretch over 400K a bit you could get a pretty nice (newer) single family home in Eastlake/Rolling Hills area (eastern Chula Vista). The prices have come down significantly, it's one of the hardest hit areas because there is such a supply of newer homes. It's a very nice suburban area w/new homes, parks, trails, shops, rec centers, restaurants, malls, etc and only about 15 miles from downtown San Diego.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM

349 posts, read 1,094,670 times
Oh, and there is a brand new Cheesecake Factory right here (Otay Ranch Mall) if you're still interested in bartending as well as several other nice restaurants.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Chula Vista, Mira Mesa, Encinitas

These 2 cities seem to have some houses right at 400K or a little below. Are these areas safe for families. Some of the houses have bars on the windows. I really want to be close to the beach (20 minutes) are these areas even legit. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego