Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,221 times

Advertisements

Looking a doing a Craig's List transaction. Trying to get info on Chula Vista, specifically J Street area. Is it a good or bad area? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,407,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtrix View Post
Looking a doing a Craig's List transaction. Trying to get info on Chula Vista, specifically J Street area. Is it a good or bad area? Any info would be appreciated.
Techtrix....can you be more specific about J Street. What part? West of the 805 or East of the 805 ? Just a rule of thumb for Chula Vista (I do live here) that most areas are better EAST of the 805 as a rule.

J street or actually E. J St. is very nice East of the 805 and even the neighborhood just West is ok, but I'm not sure about the schools in that area either. Schools are also rated better on the East side of the 805 in Chula Vista as well.

But if its an investment property then you should take it on a case by case opportunity.

Let us know if this helped.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,555,437 times
Whats the hundred block?Is it East or regular J?

East J and regular J aren't bad of a place.As stated above the east is "better" but I live in the East and came from the west and there is still a great deal of crime.Just in the west it's more like robbers,gangs stuff like that.In the east car theft,home break-ins,tagging sometimes if you can find it.

As for the schools they are ok.From a 1-10 I'd go 6.5 or 7.With the Rancho Del Rey area and places like that(Eastlake,San Mguel others like that)there seems to be a higher amount of drug and alcohol use among teens.So pick you battles;both sides of CV are good,depending on where you look,what your looking for and what you call "good".

Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
Techtrix....can you be more specific about J Street. What part? West of the 805 or East of the 805 ? Just a rule of thumb for Chula Vista (I do live here) that most areas are better EAST of the 805 as a rule.

J street or actually E. J St. is very nice East of the 805 and even the neighborhood just West is ok, but I'm not sure about the schools in that area either. Schools are also rated better on the East side of the 805 in Chula Vista as well.

But if its an investment property then you should take it on a case by case opportunity.

Let us know if this helped.
I guess it would be west of the 805....say somewhere between 805 to 3rd Ave. Is it middle income, lower middle, upper middle, more crime, less crime? Any additional info would be great.
Thx.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtrix View Post
I guess it would be west of the 805....say somewhere between 805 to 3rd Ave. Is it middle income, lower middle, upper middle, more crime, less crime? Any additional info would be great.
Thx.

Ok.....I will put it this way TECHTRIX the closer to 3rd ave would be less desirable area I'd say,lower middle class. The closer you get to the 805 (theres no exit for the 805, just an overpass which is good I think) on J it gets better. Once on the East side of the 805 the neighborhood gets very nice and you would get into the middle/Upper Middle class.

Everyones different TECH and I'll say it this way. If its a good buy and I were single I would go for it. I probably wouldn't if I had a family though for safety reasons.

I do frequent the 3rd ave area, its kind of the main drag for the Old downtown area of Chula Vista. My daughters Dr. was at 3rd and E. St and I use the Bank of America across the street. So its not like it total ghetto or anything.Most of the houses are older and built in the late 50's and 60's,which is cool as long as they have been kept up. I live probably only 2 or 3 miles from that area actually ,but down by Telegraph Canyon and the 805 which is just on the East side.Its a decision that would be different for everyone.

I don't know what your price range is and whether you have a family or not? But on Telegraph Canyon Rd just East of the 805 there are some Condo's on the South side of the Road that is just across from Canyon Villa Shopping Plaza and Canyon Villa. I haven't looked at them on the inside but the outside of them look very nice. I do know that quite a few of them are up for foreclosure or bank owned. I know I got a flyer on my door for one day for one that was going for around $300,000 best offer. The flyer seemed desparate to sell. They are 3 bedrooms , 2 baths and I don't remember the square footage. Think they came with a garage as well. Just thought I'd throw that out to you.

Hope this helps....

Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM

16 posts, read 80,898 times
I guess you should consider the daily commute? It's a decent area of San Diego, and the developments are newer and the grocery building exterior are more nicer. But I don't like the price or traffic. I lived on E Palomar and the traffic on Telegraph Canyon and 54 to 805 junction was exceptionally ridiculous.

I worked in central San Diego and didn't like the commute. Since Chula Vista is so far south, it also makes everything further away. Some of the shopping mall, etc. are still under construction. The developments are spreading further and further out into the mountainside toward Otay and the traffic is just going to get worse.

I think the money for housing there goes toward appearance and the neighborhood. But the interiors may be bland and appliances low-end. Most of those developments aren't that secure; magazine salespeople can walk off the street and knock on your door. The overall vibe of the area is of impersonal detachment.

Currently condos in San Diego are 10% downpayment to obtain financing.

Last edited by User24; 05-13-2008 at 02:12 AM..

Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User24 View Post
I guess you should consider the daily commute? It's a decent area of San Diego, and the developments are newer and the grocery building exterior are more nicer. But I don't like the price or traffic. I lived on E Palomar and the traffic on Telegraph Canyon and 54 to 805 junction was exceptionally ridiculous.

I worked in central San Diego and didn't like the commute. Since Chula Vista is so far south, it also makes everything further away. Some of the shopping mall, etc. are still under construction. The developments are spreading further and further out into the mountainside toward Otay and the traffic is just going to get worse.

I think the money for housing there goes toward appearance and the neighborhood. But the interiors may be bland and appliances low-end. Most of those developments aren't that secure; magazine salespeople can walk off the street and knock on your door. The overall vibe of the area is of impersonal detachment.

Currently condos in San Diego are 10% downpayment to obtain financing.
Are we talking about the same Eastlake area of Chula Vista? "the overall vibe of the area is of impersonal detachment"? What exactly do you mean by that. I have found that Chula Vista especially the East Side is one of the friendliest places I've ever lived.

As far as traffic its depends on the time of day which is true for the whole area. We commute to Balboa Naval Hospital and in the morning its an easy commute. The evening is alittle longer but not that bad. It all depends on where you live, work and the time you commute to how bad the traffic is.

Plus not secure? Magazine saleman knocking on your door? lol...that happens everywhere unless you live in a gated community. I prefer not to live in a gated community because "usually" it means the area is not that great,usually not always .

Did you live in the newer part of E. Palomar like near La Media and Olympic Parkway. Cause it looks very,very nice in there.

Anyway the area that Tech is looking at is in the older section of Chula Vista which is questonable. Tech will you be able to look at the property anytime soon? let us know.
bunky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego