U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2021, 04:56 PM
 
Location: On the water.
20,741 posts, read 13,842,767 times
Reputation: 18551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
True that! I'm lucky to be alive and never been shot at by a foe. Shot at by some idiot hunters but that's another story.
Lmfao One’s pretty much same as t’other
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2021, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo's North County
8,351 posts, read 4,394,573 times
Reputation: 13266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
True that! I'm lucky to be alive and never been shot at by a foe. Shot at by some idiot hunters but that's another story.
Wazzat you?

(I've been "peppered" by some dove hunters in Palo Verde, maybe 25 years ago.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2021, 06:23 PM
 
Location: San Diego
47,272 posts, read 42,344,477 times
Reputation: 31444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Wazzat you?

(I've been "peppered" by some dove hunters in Palo Verde, maybe 25 years ago.)

Colorado late 70s or early 80s. Waited for the sun to come out to "take care of business", minus at night and some azzhat hit's the tree I'm leaning against from about half a mile away. I didn't know my booty looked like a bull Elk. I grabbed my rifle and just slung one best direction in the air for sound so I could get their attention. It worked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Coastal San Diego
5,022 posts, read 7,022,652 times
Reputation: 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Big E is now scrap. And that huge deck is dwarfed by these new super carriers even. An A3 landing on / launching from those big decks was a deep inhale … but from any Essex class it was soiled shorts in my book.
The only reason the Enterprise is scrap is because it's nuclear. There will never be another USS Midway Museum. I worked with several groups who wanted the Enterprise to be a museum. But the Navy can't risk turning a nuclear-powered CVN into a public museum.

I'm ex-Air Force so I don't know Navy terminology. The CIC is roughly what I did in the Air Force but we didn't need to worry about what was under an Air Force Base.

On July 4th, my wife and I and a few guests will be on the flightdeck of the USS Midway Museum. There's no better place to view fireworks in San Diego.

We will have a local DJ on the Midway for the fireworks event. If the DJ doesn't play this song, I will hand the DJ a Benjamin and just say "Play it." I'm tired of arguing over the political impact of this video. This video is very emotional but I can only get the audio played. There's zero chance of getting a video feed on July 4th.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

Last edited by cruitr; 06-28-2021 at 08:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2021, 08:38 AM
 
Location: On the water.
20,741 posts, read 13,842,767 times
Reputation: 18551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
The only reason the Enterprise is scrap is because it's nuclear. There will never be another USS Midway Museum. I worked with several groups who wanted the Enterprise to be a museum. But the Navy can't risk turning a nuclear-powered CVN into a public museum.

I'm ex-Air Force so I don't know Navy terminology. The CIC is roughly what I did in the Air Force but we didn't need to worry about what was under an Air Force Base.

On July 4th, my wife and I and a few guests will be on the flightdeck of the USS Midway Museum. There's no better place to view fireworks in San Diego.

We will have a local DJ on the Midway for the fireworks event. If the DJ doesn't play this song, I will hand the DJ a Benjamin and just say "Play it." I'm tired of arguing over the political impact of this video. This video is very emotional but I can only get the audio played. There's zero chance of getting a video feed on July 4th.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc
Yes. Nuclear scrap

Midway is a WWII Essex class. The A-3 Skywarriors were Navy only so you probably never interfaced in the AF. when you are on Midway’s deck, imagine a bomber nicknamed “the Whale’ … you’ll get the idea … . They were developed for carrier operations on decks that sized, but I’m pretty sure the aeronautical engineers that drew them up weren’t planning on flying in them personally
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2021, 07:14 PM
 
Location: San Diego
47,272 posts, read 42,344,477 times
Reputation: 31444
Those AR-15s were back at it all day again
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2021, 07:15 PM
 
Location: San Diego
47,272 posts, read 42,344,477 times
Reputation: 31444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. Nuclear scrap

Midway is a WWII Essex class. The A-3 Skywarriors were Navy only so you probably never interfaced in the AF. when you are on Midway’s deck, imagine a bomber nicknamed “the Whale’ … you’ll get the idea … . They were developed for carrier operations on decks that sized, but I’m pretty sure the aeronautical engineers that drew them up weren’t planning on flying in them personally
Dang, those were HEAVY!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2021, 08:16 PM
 
Location: On the water.
20,741 posts, read 13,842,767 times
Reputation: 18551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dang, those were HEAVY!!
Yes. Designed for nuclear strike missions.

Humorous postscript note: at least one of my flights off carriers from Gulf of Tonkin operations to Cubi Point, PI were “beer runs” … I’ll leave it to your imagination to ponder whether there were more than just one beer run at taxpayer expense and risk of life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2021, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Coastal San Diego
5,022 posts, read 7,022,652 times
Reputation: 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Humorous postscript note: at least one of my flights off carriers from Gulf of Tonkin operations to Cubi Point, PI were “beer runs” … I’ll leave it to your imagination to ponder whether there were more than just one beer run at taxpayer expense and risk of life.
As a budding Air Traffic Controller, I spent over a year @ Keesler AFB in Biloxi MS learning a new highly-classified technology. My instructor asked for a volunteer to go on a 'milk run' to Vietnam and train your Vietnam-based counterparts in this new technology. The volunteer would take the next flight out of Keesler.

My well-trained group was about 30 of my peers. No one volunteered. So we drew straws. I got the short-straw and was put on the next flight out of Keesler.

The next 2 weeks were a total blur. I felt like Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now. Martin Sheen went on a mercenary mission. I was helicoptered all over Vietnam with a new stop every day. Everyone knew I was scared to death. But I did the job and came home in one-piece. I was told that the training I did in Vietnam saved many fighter pilot lives. I also know some of the guys I trained died shortly after I left. My Squadron Commander let me keep the lists of the people I trained in Vietnam. The simple lists of attendee names were not classified.

In the early 80s, I carried those name lists to the Vietnam Memorial in Wash DC ie. The Wall. The Wall is not an alphabetical list of names. The names are listed by year of death. All I had to find was the block with the month/year I was in Vietnam and start comparing the wall names against my name lists. It was a very difficult project but luckily my parents helped me. When I found the first matching name, I broke down crying. I remembered the guy. My dad looked at me and said "What the F* is wrong you? Be a man and quit crying." I didn't look for many more names because my parents refused to help this crybaby.

I did find one other name... my name. Firstname MI Lastname. I have a very unique name and I'm not dead. So it is possible there are mistakes on The Wall.

Dear MODS: This post has nothing to do with San Diego. Free feel to delete it like you did another post of mine.

cruitr out.

Last edited by cruitr; 06-29-2021 at 01:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2021, 01:26 AM
 
Location: On the water.
20,741 posts, read 13,842,767 times
Reputation: 18551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
As a budding Air Traffic Controller, I spent over a year @ Keesler AFB in Biloxi MS learning a new highly-classified technology. My instructor asked for a volunteer to go on a 'milk run' to Vietnam and train your Vietnam-based counterparts in this new technology. The volunteer would take the next flight out of Keesler.

My well-trained group was about 30 of my peers. No one volunteered. So we drew straws. I got the short-straw and was put on the next flight out of Keesler.

The next 2 weeks were a total blur. I felt like Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now. Martin Sheen went on a mercenary mission. I was helicoptered all over Vietnam with a new stop every day. Everyone knew I was scared to death. But I did the job and came home in one-piece. I was told that the training I did in Vietnam saved many fighter pilot lives. I also know some of the guys I trained died shortly after I left. My Squadron Commander let me keep the lists of the people I trained in Vietnam. The simple lists of attendee names were not classified.

In the early 80s, I carried those name lists to the Vietnam Memorial in Wash DC ie. The Wall. The Wall is not an alphabetical list of names. The names are listed by year of death. All I had to find was the block with the month/year I was in Vietnam and start comparing the wall names against my name lists. It was a very difficult project but luckily my parents helped me. When I found the first matching name, I broke down crying. I remembered the guy. My dad looked at me and said "What the F* is wrong you? Be a man and quit crying." I didn't look for many more names because my parents refused to help this crybaby.

I did find one other name... my name. Firstname MI Lastname. I have a very unique name and I'm not dead. So it is possible there are mistakes on The Wall.

Dear MODS: This post has nothing to do with San Diego. Free feel to delete it like you did another post of mine.

cruitr out.
They was interesting times cruitr, eh? I did my share of ruminating over there … and after. One thing I figured was, as another friend said once while we were smoking a fat joint: ‘I didn’t start this sh*t’ …

I was a kid. I enlisted for adventure and escape. I served my country by doing what my country shouldn’t have been doing. Every pilot we pulled out of the water and bush was a life saved and usually returned to duty to kill more of the opposing forces. If I did my job well, ‘my guys’ survived to kill the ‘other guys’.

It’s all just tragic bulls**t.

But I didn’t start it. I’m okay with life being a phenomenal clusterfarque. I am not the origin of the universe.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top