U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM

2,495 posts, read 5,259,454 times
Default Pondering a move to San Diego...

I've posted here before because my husband and I are considering a move from Orlando, Florida to San Diego. We're young, in our twenties with no kids (and none planned) and really have very little to lose. We're in no credit card/student loan debt and we have no car payments.

We're also self employed doing programming/web design work that can be done geographically anywhere, provided we have internet access. Currently I also work in IT for a very large company (think: mouse) but I'm looking to take on the freelance that I do on the side full-time. I'm sick of working for someone else when I could do it on my own.

A recent trip to the SD area is making up seriously consider a move. In the past we just toyed with the idea, but now it seems to be making more sense. We love California, and love going to Vegas...and love that it's only 5 hours away by car.

We've accepted the fact that we'll need to rent to afford living in SD, at least initally. I was surprised to find that the rent for some apartments in the La Jolla/UTC area were comparable to what we pay here in Orlando. At the moment we pay around $1500/month for a 2/2 apartment in a so-so area. It seems that we can get this in SD for about the same cost....crazy! Am I missing something?

I need to hear the pros/cons, with an emphasis on the cons. Please tell me why I shouldn't, because I'm having trouble finding the reasons why not.

Thanks.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 05-16-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,896,874 times
For that price and an ok area should be ok.

Reasons not to move:
*Traffic-much more than ORL
*Weather is somewhat bland it's almost the same all year round
*Major tourist destination,sometimes causes major traffic jams on freeways(esp on weekends)
*Auto theft is high county wide,we are always in the top 10 year in and year out
*This is just a negative for me but it is way too laid back,somewhat like your byway city of Tampa
*Tons of homeless men women and children in more urban areas
*No one uses turn signals,I was shocked to see everyone use one when I visited TPA last month
*Not to great when it comes to supporting sports teams.
*Sports teams aren't too great them selves
*Somewhat overpriced
*Job situation stinks,no one makes enough money for the cost of living-hence all the foreclosed homes
*Public Transport is some of the worst even though we have some of the highest number or riders on the West Coast
*Drug problems in lots of areas

I might have about 50 more negative things about SD but here are some good things
*Weather(I knoe but if you come from a Pittsburgh type of place like my parents)
*The beach,most tend to like it!
*A Jealous city,you live here you make others jealous
*History-ish,lots of people here are somewhat 60's-80's esp when it comes to sports
*Diverse,I can't hate on that one bit
*Schools are good
*Low crime rate overall.Even SD's ghettos are not that ghetto when it comes to crime
*Nature is here if your into that
*Also the save the environment movement is big here if your into that.
*Close to LA and Orange County.

Hope this helps,SD county is the only place I have called home all 20 years of my life so I know enough about this place.There might be people that lived here 35,45,50 years so they will have a little more better insight.Can I ask what type of place are you looking for?Urban,subby,mixed,in the city,in the county?IDK if you can tell but I have experienced everything I need to,been everywhere that makes this place great and I'm done with some of the San Diegans and there actions.I'm getting a little impatient with my relocation date of next year so forgive me please if this sounded a little bad or rough.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks so much for your reply, jksouthbay88.

Honestly we love the weather of San Diego, and that's one big reason why we wish to move there. Florida's winters are nice, but the summers are hot, sticky and miserable. I HATE humidity.

Living in Orlando, I don't think that being in a "tourist destination" really bothers me all that much. I'm used to tourists...and there driving skills (or lack thereof).

It's interesting that you mention traffic in San Diego being worse than here in Orlando. When we were in San Diego a few weeks ago, it seemed to be the same or better to us. There's more highways in SD, so that adds to more ways of getting around. That's interesting about the turn signals...never noticed that. Here in Orlando it seems that since gas prices have increased, people now like to drive 10-15 mph under the speed limit on major highways. It drives me nuts. We didn't notice that so much in CA in general.

Both my husband and I are not into sports at all. In fact, as bad as this sounds, we kind of like the idea of living somewhere where no one gets into sports all that much. Here in Orlando they just seem to want to use public money to build unnecessary new stadiums and such, which is rather annoying to us.

Thanks again for your response, and good luck with your relocation!

Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 PM

489 posts, read 929,698 times
SD blows Orlando out of the water, IMO. It's much bigger, lots to do/ see, great family neighborhoods all over the metro area. Enjoy

Old 05-18-2008, 05:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,896,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Thanks so much for your reply, jksouthbay88.

Honestly we love the weather of San Diego, and that's one big reason why we wish to move there. Florida's winters are nice, but the summers are hot, sticky and miserable. I HATE humidity.

Living in Orlando, I don't think that being in a "tourist destination" really bothers me all that much. I'm used to tourists...and there driving skills (or lack thereof).

It's interesting that you mention traffic in San Diego being worse than here in Orlando. When we were in San Diego a few weeks ago, it seemed to be the same or better to us. There's more highways in SD, so that adds to more ways of getting around. That's interesting about the turn signals...never noticed that. Here in Orlando it seems that since gas prices have increased, people now like to drive 10-15 mph under the speed limit on major highways. It drives me nuts. We didn't notice that so much in CA in general.

Both my husband and I are not into sports at all. In fact, as bad as this sounds, we kind of like the idea of living somewhere where no one gets into sports all that much. Here in Orlando they just seem to want to use public money to build unnecessary new stadiums and such, which is rather annoying to us.

Thanks again for your response, and good luck with your relocation!
Yeah I guess you would like San Diego then.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Thanks so much, everyone. I definitely seem to be getting more pros than cons about the move. Now we just have to figure out the best way to move all our crap across the country!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,991 times
Default we are moving from the Orlando area to San Diego, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Thanks so much, everyone. I definitely seem to be getting more pros than cons about the move. Now we just have to figure out the best way to move all our crap across the country!
Did you already figure out how your are moving your things?, cheapest way??, are you going by car or by plane?
Using movers, you pack they drive?, or are you u-hauling it?
Have you set a date yet?
We are looking at moving mid-July and have been recommended the following areas to live: Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, Poway, San Marcos, Carlsbad (a bit pricey).

Old 05-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajollagirl View Post

Did you already figure out how your are moving your things?, cheapest way??, are you going by car or by plane?
Using movers, you pack they drive?, or are you u-hauling it?
Have you set a date yet?
We are looking at moving mid-July and have been recommended the following areas to live: Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, Poway, San Marcos, Carlsbad (a bit pricey).
We are looking at sometime in early 2009 to move. We'd be driving since I think we'd have to get both our cars all the way from Florida over to California. Probably doing it ourselves with a U-Haul. Since we're probably renting, right now we're looking at the La Jolla/UTC area.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times
Smile reason to not move here

I lived in Orlando for a year and its definitely a bit different than SD. From what I read in your post, you want to know why you shouldn't move here. Granted people will disagree with me and these are purely my observations in comparison to where I have live in the USA and internationally:

- not green.....ever. Unless we get a lot of rain or you go to an area that is maintained

- work- i noticed that for younger people, working here is generally tough if you are not established in your career

- outdoor activitites- there is no reason to move here if you dont like outdoor activities. Everyone boasts (including myself) on occasion that we have have great climate for this that and the other thing etc etc. But if you are a homebody, the likelihood of you giving 2 sh*ts about those things are highly likely.

- unstable economy. THis is a place that grew SOOO fast in a short amount of time. With the exception of the north county coastal towns (Del Mar, Carlsbad) most of SD blew up in the real estate market. I will not get into too much except the fact that we are a little lopsided.

- socially unstable. This isnt the kind of place where it "feels" settled in. Its very new and with it, many transients have come and gone. Its not the most settled of places you will find.

Personally I love living here. The things I listed are observations which make this place a little different. THere are so many great things here, that everyone finds something special that keeps them here. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, if you are not financially stable, this place will eat you up. Living paycheck to paycheck here isnt fun anywhere and cant imagine it would be fun here.

Good luck

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 AM

365 posts, read 919,788 times
Hey, you are in your 20s! You have a lot of years to live!! SD is a great place. UTC is fun and easy to find a place to rent, especially if you come sometime late in the summer when school is out and leases are up for the college students. IT central is fairly close if you need to work for someone just long enough until you feel established and then freelance. Then, when the homebuying process comes, an earlier post said where more affordable homes are. There are large homes in North SD the price of condos in UTC. My wife and I will go bigger when the kids start coming (she wants next year since we're moving from our mid to late-20s next year). Come on over and live your youth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego