Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos92lx View Post
Going through the 30 pages wasn't fun. When I started to get back tp posts from the middle of 2007, I called it quits.

I decided on the San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina Reservation. It is about 1/2 mile away from those other ones and will cost me 1/2 the points. I need to get outside, walk around, and explore anyways.

Is downtown it's own section or is the downtown broken down into different parts (like Little Italy for instance. Is this part of downtown?)
That hotel is a good one two, right on the water so you have nice views and they have a big pool.

Downtown is broken down into smaller neighborhoods like Little Italy, Cortez Hill, Marina, East Village, Gaslamp Quarter, etc...

This wikipedia article actually spell it out pretty good: Downtown San Diego, San Diego, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

although the area on that map they call "Park West" is usually called Banker's Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 20,219 times
This article is great, thanks.

Which one of these smaller neighborhoods would give me the best feeling that I am actually in the city? Also, which one would be best for a person without a car?

Are all of these areas safe? Or are some shadier than others?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:13 PM

34 posts, read 108,457 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have been to SD a few times and fell in love with it and am actually going to head out for a weekend in few weeks to check out the city and some apartments.

I was hoping someone would be able to answer some questions I had about the city:

1. Do I need a car to get around? I travel all week for work and am only home on the weekends, so I do not need a car that often. (Philly has ZipCar and PhillyCarShare so I can rent a car for a few hours if I ever need one now. Does SD have any service like that?)

2. I would probably want to live downtown. Is that a decent place for a 30 yr old single male professional?

3. How is the tennis scene in SD? Are there courts anywhere near the downtown area? Are there leagues or tennis groups to join?

4. Can I get a short-term (month-to-month or 6 month) lease on any apartments out there?

5. Which is the best hotel to stay out (location-wise to downtown). The Courtyard San Diego Downtown or the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Thanks in advance for any replies
1) You don't need a car if you live downtown, but you'll want one especially if you are single and need to pick up a date somewhere You'll also need one to take advantage of outdoor opportunities such as surfing hiking desert etc.

2) Downtown is good but you might prefer North Park or Hillcrest, still in the city but doesn't have that urban feel. (More like a suburb in the city)

3) Tennis all year round! lots of tennis

4) A lot of lease you can get month to month or six months. If you go with a big national owner you'll probably have to do a year.

5) Have a job before you come, unless you have a good amount of savings. Some people find it a tough town to break into if you don't know anyone. Good luck!

I lived in Philly went to school at Upenn. San diego is really nice but miss that east coast sophistication...

Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
This article is great, thanks.

Which one of these smaller neighborhoods would give me the best feeling that I am actually in the city? Also, which one would be best for a person without a car?

Are all of these areas safe? Or are some shadier than others?
I like Little Italy, the Gaslamp, and the western side of East Village the best and seems to have the most to offer and it's fairly urban, of course SD doesn't have the urbanity that a place like Philly has. Little Italy has a trolley stop and is right next to the Santa Fe Depot Train Station where the Coaster stops and can take you up to North County as well as Amtrak, which can take you to OC and LA. East Village also has some trolley stops so those would be good places to be w/o a car.

All of these areas are relatively safe, I would only worry about the Southeastern sections of East Village. That area was the last to start gentrifying and is still a work in progress. There are a fair amount of homeless b/c of some services in the area. I would definitely try to be away from Imperial Ave.

This website is a good resource for downtown info and they have a downtown living guide you can check out:

Centre City Development Corporation

Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Meetup.com is a good place to look for Tennis leagues in San Diego.

Here's one league:

San Diego Tennis League (San Diego, CA) - Meetup.com

Meetup.com is also a good way to find groups with other similar interests to yours.

Another recommendation for finding tennis courts is to view aerial maps on websites like Google Maps, or Microsoft, and you can see the locations of actual tennis courts all over San Diego. Tennis courts are very easy to spot in these aerial maps. Here's a sample link below. Use the Zoom and Drag features, to see the tennis courts close up.

nimitz blvd and sunset cliffs blvd san diego ca - Google Maps

Also, use San Diego Craigslist for finding apartments, jobs, tennis partners, etc. It is a fantastic resource:

craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Last edited by RD5050; 05-21-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 AM

202 posts, read 872,639 times
Personally I feel like SD is one of the worst cities in America to be without a car, but it is feasible.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM

I always had a car until I moved to Philly. Never thought I would get used to not having one, but I have and I actually prefer it now. No car payment, no gas, no insurance...it's nice.

I am only home from Friday-Sunday's anyways, so I think I can get by. I booked my trip to SD for 2 weekends from now. I am going to fly in, cab it to the hotel and walk around all weekend. Not having a rental car will give me a good feel for what it would be like in the city without a car

Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
I always had a car until I moved to Philly. Never thought I would get used to not having one, but I have and I actually prefer it now. No car payment, no gas, no insurance...it's nice.

I am only home from Friday-Sunday's anyways, so I think I can get by. I booked my trip to SD for 2 weekends from now. I am going to fly in, cab it to the hotel and walk around all weekend. Not having a rental car will give me a good feel for what it would be like in the city without a car
You don't want to live in San Diego with out a car. You've been warned.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM

RD5050 - Thanks for the tennis links

I had heard of that meetup.com site before. I was planning on using it to get out and meet some people who have similiar interests. Not sure why I didn't even think of looking on it for tennis partners/leagues.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM

So I went to SD this weekend to check it out. What an awesome time. The marathon was this weekend so the city was hopping. I spent most of my time at the Gaslamp at night and walked down by Petco/etc during the day.

I never made it to Little Italy though. I really think I want a place about 1-2 blocks off the GasLamp (5th St). Are there any areas to stay away from down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego