Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 05:01 PM

113 posts, read 54,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Thanks for the link … but, while I scanned through it, that’s a(nother) really looong article about the sad state of that city overall: crime, drugs, homelessness, yadda yadda yadda. Lots about drug addiction and street deaths, blah blah blah. Shoplifting and other theft, etc etc etc. America’s favorite city to denigrate. Whatever. (Btw: violent crime was cited as being pretty low there.)

What I asked the poster was: “what ‘freebies’ do you think SF offers homeless that SD doesn’t?” That article doesn’t seem to identify any ‘freebie’ services for the homeless that SD doesn’t also have. I’m asking about city programs …

The post I responded to seemed to infer that SF encourages homelessness by offering ‘freebie’ benefits … thus resulting in greater homeless population. The reality is that SF has less homelessness in total number than SD … although a higher per capita rate. The historical growth in fact is that SF homeless numbers have stayed fairly stable for many years (down a bit lately, btw), while SD numbers have been on an upward growth trajectory. This is largely because of the nature of housing costs and availability differences between the two cities over the years. SF was dramatically higher cost and lower availability for a very long time before SD’s present crunch.

That article is really about SF’s perceived progressive policies across the board of all its challenges: homelessness, crime, drug use, sanitation ….
Thanks Tulemutt. I have a question from that link. Author says she saw a homeless sick and when ambulance came in homeless activist grp sent the ambulance away since homeless have right to deny service and later that person died on the platform. Is that true that activists do that way? I felt it's not true but just confirming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 05:11 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Did not know SD had more, but the difference is, they are not as visible. True that the same number of birds are out and about, but as long as they are not flying over my house, $hitting everywhere then that's fine; I don't have to see it. As for freebies, a while back San Francisco was offering more in General Assistance cash than (I think) any other city, certainly more than SD. I think that has changed, but generally SF is a lot kinder to homeless than any other city.
Again, I’d be sincerely interested to read about the ways SF is “a lot kinder to homeless” than SD (or other cities). I lived in SF for many years, in districts with homeless (though not in the Tenderloin!). I live now in the Pt Loma / Midway / Old Town area in SD. 2nd highest concentration of SD homeless, I think. Interfaced with homeless and assisted homeless veterans for decades. Ugly business. Nasty life. The street homeless contingent certainly ARE highly visible in SD. Don’t know why you think they aren’t. SF Tenderloin / Market areas are definitely among the worst the nation has to be embarrassed about, along with LA Skid Row. But SD gets no pass. It consistently ranks in the top 5 US cities for homeless population. (Though again, its rate of homelessness per 1000 is not very high.)

Old 06-09-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp86 View Post
Thanks Tulemutt. I have a question from that link. Author says she saw a homeless sick and when ambulance came in homeless activist grp sent the ambulance away since homeless have right to deny service and later that person died on the platform. Is that true that activists do that way? I felt it's not true but just confirming.
Can’t speak to that instance you are asking about. Obviously, I wasn’t there and there’s no detail for follow up. But, it’s possible. Yes, all people, not just homeless, can refuse help even in seemingly pretty dire circumstances … as long as they aren’t evaluated as being a danger to themselves or others. And there’s the rub, of course: Who is doing what kind of evaluation of what conditions? Cops and medics know that their evaluations can be subject to court challenges and so mostly leave some crazy sick and nutty persons to their fates.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:37 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Well transients are going to want to hang out where camping weather is tolerable. And beggars want to be where people have lots of money and will hand them some. Meanwhile touristy areas have lots of walkers and slow drivers whose attention is easily gained. Hmmm. San Diego and coastal So Cal sounds perfect especially for the longer time homeless.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:57 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Well transients are going to want to hang out where camping weather is tolerable. And beggars want to be where people have lots of money and will hand them some. Meanwhile touristy areas have lots of walkers and slow drivers whose attention is easily gained. Hmmm. San Diego and coastal So Cal sounds perfect especially for the longer time homeless.
My local homeless like to steal batteries, recycling, anything not locked down plus shoot heroin on the local foot paths. I thought we got away from this when we left Pacific Beach and it just expanded inland. I see no easy solution here.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My local homeless like to steal batteries, recycling, anything not locked down plus shoot heroin on the local foot paths. I thought we got away from this when we left Pacific Beach and it just expanded inland. I see no easy solution here.
Roger that boss.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Sort of. But not so much as it would seem.

Beggars certainly do want / need to be where there’s lots of people and attention to be gained.

Transients are only about 10-12% of the homeless. And many of this group are trouble, for sure.

But the vast majority of homeless - everywhere … California and across the nation - are locals to their area. Plenty of surveys and studies confirm this.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:29 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
IDK, if I were homeless I think Hawaii would be better for the weather.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:31 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Again, I’d be sincerely interested to read about the ways SF is “a lot kinder to homeless” than SD (or other cities). I lived in SF for many years, in districts with homeless (though not in the Tenderloin!). I live now in the Pt Loma / Midway / Old Town area in SD. 2nd highest concentration of SD homeless, I think. Interfaced with homeless and assisted homeless veterans for decades. Ugly business. Nasty life. The street homeless contingent certainly ARE highly visible in SD. Don’t know why you think they aren’t. SF Tenderloin / Market areas are definitely among the worst the nation has to be embarrassed about, along with LA Skid Row. But SD gets no pass. It consistently ranks in the top 5 US cities for homeless population. (Though again, its rate of homelessness per 1000 is not very high.)
Midway definitely has a high concentration, that's for sure.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:31 PM

798 posts, read 502,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Midway definitely has a high concentration, that's for sure.
That's because the County Health Services Complex is located close to Old Town transit center at 3851 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92110.

This facility offers public health services including the Public Health Lab.

Services:

Birth Certificates
Black Infant Health
Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program
Health Care Program for Children in Foster Care
Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program
Death Certificates
Dental Health Initiative / Share the Care
Disease Reporting Requirements for Health Care Providers
Epidemiology
Fetal and Infant Mortality Review
Financial & Support Services Division - Facilities & Support Services
HIV Counseling and Testing Services
Maternal, Child and Family Health Services
Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC)
Medical Records - A/OAMHS
Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Program
Office of Vital Records and Statistics
Office of Violence Prevention
Public Health Administration
Perinatal Care Network
Public Health Laboratory
San Diego Kids Health Assurance Network
STD Clinical Services
Sealant and Fluoride Varnish Clinics
TB & Refugee Health Programs
TB Clinic Services
TB US-Mexico Referral Program
Vital Records - New Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego