Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,154 times

Advertisements

You are researching this quite thoroughly and may very well be able to find something quite nice, especially with the help of Craigslist, etc. That wasn't available when I moved to S.D. back in 1991, and I have never looked into living in LaJolla so shouldn't comment. I live in what is thought of by locals as the "poopy" area of town 8 miles or so north of the Mexican border but often visit other areas of town--for me that is what is affordable and I'm happy there. You sound like you have a good career going, and as the other poster suggested, Scripps would be a great place to work, very close to (actually in) LaJolla. Your friend probably is jealous and will probably want to move back when she visits you in LaJolla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,099 times
La Jolla is multi-million dollar homes clinging to a hillside, with ocean views and contemporary art hanging on the walls. But it's also 2-bedroom condos shared by four UCSD students, furnished by IKEA.

It's more diverse than it might look at first glance!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
If you're trying to find upscale African Americans, successful, educated, etc...you'll be hard pressed. They're out there, but there's no one area to find them in. San Diego's black culture is primarily those you find on MTV Cribs, BET, or the latest Ludacris video. Am I stereotyping, yes...but it applies. Skyline alone is proof of what I'm saying, as is downtown, Imperial Beach, El Cajon, La Mesa, etc.
Years ago I had a buddy from Compton, he was an SDSU student and a super nice kid. He used to say "Black people in San Diego still think it's the 70's".

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
I had noooooo idea!!! I don't know if I'll fit in with the wealthy. Any suggestions? I'd hate to take up residence only to feel like an outsider. Oh and thanks for the "warning".
That area you are looking into isn't really considered the "real" La Jolla and isn't super wealthy. Some people call it La Jolla, some call it UTC b/c of the mall there, University Town Center. It's in the 92122 zip code and the really wealthy part of La Jolla is in the 92093 zip code. UTC is mainly townhouses, large apartment buildings, offices, and several shopping centers; it's nice but nothing super rich or luxurious and there are plenty of average people in that area, the closer to the ocean you get the bigger the homes get and the wealthier it is.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 AM

365 posts, read 1,418,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
La Jolla is multi-million dollar homes clinging to a hillside, with ocean views and contemporary art hanging on the walls. But it's also 2-bedroom condos shared by four UCSD students, furnished by IKEA.

It's more diverse than it might look at first glance!
Haha, I had to laugh because that is exactly what UTC is. When I went to UCSD, I moved in with 3 other guys I didn't know into a 2 bedroom apartment in the Costa Verde apartments and their decor looked like they pulled it out of the IKEA Fall catalog. I didn't mind though. It was close enough to bike to campus, had its own gym and pools, and shopping was within walking distance. UTC is La Jolla minor and much less expensive. Condos are even available under $300k. Plus there is a large diversity because of the campus.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM

105 posts, read 375,850 times
I feel much better (more comfortable) about my decision then. I think i've made a great choice. Now to find a "great" job. Is that possible? It won't really matter in SD cause once you punch the clock and end the day, the scenery makes it all worthwhile.
thanks again to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
Finding a "great" job depends on whether you have:

- "great" experience;
- "great" transportation; and
- a "great" college degree.

That said, you can probably find a "decent" to "good" job with 2 of the three above.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,489 times
I second Eastlake in Chula Vista. There are more African Americans that have moved here in the last few years. It is very diverse, yet it is a very nice, safe, clean suburb w/great schools. My daughters GS troop has 3 out of 10 girls' that are African American.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 PM

110 posts, read 294,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
From one African American to another...I'm going to hit you with a reality check for your consideration, take or leave.

If you're trying to find upscale African Americans, successful, educated, etc...you'll be hard pressed. They're out there, but there's no one area to find them in. San Diego's black culture is primarily those you find on MTV Cribs, BET, or the latest Ludacris video. Am I stereotyping, yes...but it applies. Skyline alone is proof of what I'm saying, as is downtown, Imperial Beach, El Cajon, La Mesa, etc.

So, you'll have a choice to make. Do you:
(a) live in a very nice, affluent area with upwardly mobile folks not necessarily of the African American persuasion;
(b) live in a "middle ground" area where there's plenty of diversity, but not a lot of truly successful people (meaning they're striving to improve themselves); or
(c) live in the ghetto, where the people aren't what you want?

Strictly a suggestion...pick option 1 and simply accept that diversity, as I have. Otherwise you'll be dissatisfied at what you constantly find. I speak as someone who used to live in said ghetto, so I fully understand what both sides of the fence look like.
As a young African-American professional and a parent, I second this. San Diego is beautiful, but the decentralization of its African-American professional class makes it harder living than I would like for it to be. I don't have much to add beyond what others have said, except that if African-American experience and culture is important to you, make sure you join some social groups or organizations. I don't think my neighbors in Tierrasanta are big fans of The Roots or Erykah Badu.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM

105 posts, read 375,850 times
When you say "harder living" what do you mean? And as a single person what is the dating scene like (invisible???).

thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego