U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 PM

462 posts, read 1,354,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
I second Eastlake in Chula Vista. There are more African Americans that have moved here in the last few years. It is very diverse, yet it is a very nice, safe, clean suburb w/great schools. My daughters GS troop has 3 out of 10 girls' that are African American.
Many of the African-Americans in the Eastlake area also seem to fit the "professional" image I think you are seeking. In fact, a very popular San Diego morning news anchorwoman who is African-American lives in Eastlake. But again, there is no concentrated "African-American section" of Eastlake, either.

Last edited by jkoz; 05-30-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:56 PM

104 posts, read 176,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
When you say "harder living" what do you mean? And as a single person what is the dating scene like (invisible???).

thx
By harder living, I mean you have to make a conscious effort to maintain links with other African-Americans. I'm constantly on the lookout for social groups and activities that will allow my family to connect with other African-Americans. Even though my daughter's school is 14% African-American, she is the only black child in her class. Her after school class has no other black children. My class year has maybe six other black students out of 300+.

My wife says I'm too hung up on being around black people. I'll address her criticism here since I'm sure someone reading this may have the same inquiry. Color is not as important as common experience and interests. I'm sure there aren't many New Yorkers who came of age in the late 90's in my neighborhood. So, the common experience is out the window. As for the interests, my history informs my interests to a significant extent. The music I listen to, my perspective on parenting, my political views...all of these are heavily influenced by where and when I came of age.

The people in my neighborhood are nothing like me, and often don't know what to make of me. I get the oddest looks when people learn I'm in law school. They show no desire to interact with me. My guess is that first I'm not good enough--then when they discover what I do, I'm just weird. I don't think other educated African-Americans would respond in the same fashion, because many of them have been through the same struggle.

As for the dating environment, I can't comment because I'm married and have zero experience with the singles scene.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 AM

105 posts, read 239,562 times
Red face Need new suggestions

Ok, I need some serious help here.
After reading countless reviews on Triest Apartments I find that it is not as the website describes but instead is awful. My only other options are to pay ridiculous rent rates to live in a safe, clean environment. I really can't fathom paying $1900/plus a month to rent an apartment.

I checked into East Lake and that is quite a pricey neighborhood. The schools are not quite up to my expectation and the apartments are mediocre at best.

So I tried checking Point Loma and there aren't any apartments there...
Then I checked into RB and Carmel and Scripps and as mentioned in earlier posts they ARE barely any african americans especially the further North you go.
Carmel Terrace Apts with Highland Ranch Elementary as the neighborhood school seemed to have the greatest number (6%) of black students. But it is kinda far from the center of San Diego.

So i am now at an impasse.
I've been reading about the ridiculous congestion in Liberty Station AND I can't seem to locate any apartments.

Any suggesstions?
  • Nice schools with 70% or better scholastic achievement
  • Very safe neighborhoods with parks and pools
  • 2 bedroom apt paying no more than $1600 (does that even exist in San Diego?
  • Not in the middle of nowhere with commutes of 50 minutes please.
  • I'm not really into the nature thing so the mountain areas are really not my style. I like suburbia with green grass and planted flowers.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM

10,407 posts, read 13,949,114 times
Quote:
After reading countless reviews on Triest Apartments I find that it is not as the website describes but instead is awful. My only other options are to pay ridiculous rent rates to live in a safe, clean environment. I really can't fathom paying $1900/plus a month to rent an apartment.

I checked into East Lake and that is quite a pricey neighborhood. The schools are not quite up to my expectation and the apartments are mediocre at best.

Then I checked into RB and Carmel and Scripps and as mentioned in earlier posts they ARE barely any african americans especially the further North you go.
Carmel Terrace Apts with Highland Ranch Elementary as the neighborhood school seemed to have the greatest number (6%) of black students. But it is kinda far from the center of San Diego.

I've been reading about the ridiculous congestion in Liberty Station AND I can't seem to locate any apartments.

Any suggesstions?
  • I'm not really into the nature thing so the mountain areas are really not my style. I like suburbia with green grass and planted flowers.
Have you checked craigslist or other websites for places in the UTC area? There are many condos and townhomes in south UTC that owners rent and lease out to tenants. I used to live in a development called University Woods and there are ones similar nearby, one is called Genessee Highlands. That area would be good for families b/c it's really close to Doyle and you don't have any busy streets to cross to get to it. Plus there are parks and playgrounds nearby.

I just did a quick little search to see what places were going for now and there are some in your price range: classifieds - craigslist

Old 06-05-2008, 12:33 PM

228 posts, read 635,522 times
I agree with the previous poster about UTC. It is a great neighborhood. Plenty of apartments most in your price range. Close to everything and three really good elementary schools, parks, library, shopping etc.

Highly recommend.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:09 AM

462 posts, read 1,354,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDeb View Post
I agree with the previous poster about UTC. It is a great neighborhood. Plenty of apartments most in your price range. Close to everything and three really good elementary schools, parks, library, shopping etc.

Highly recommend.
I would agree with that too, and earlier you seemed set on La Jolla- UTC is very close to La Jolla, yet considerably more affordable than La Jolla.

As far as the low percentage of African Americans in different areas. . .if you are serious about moving to San Diego, you are probably going to have to accept these low percentages. What some of the other posters have said about the African American population here has been true.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 AM

1,504 posts, read 3,716,393 times
Quote:

I'm not familiar with Trieste but I lived in two different complexes in UTC area and I liked them. Don't worry too much about online reviews. People usually write reviews when they are pissed.

Generally speaking, UTC apartments are expensive (1600/month for 2br could be problematic) but you save money on your electricity bill because you don't need A/C.

I lived in Carmel Terrace for about a year. My biggest beef with them was lack of proper parking. Spaces are narrow and there aren't enough of them for everyone. Otherwise it was okay, affordable and centrally located.

It's far from downtown but it's within 20 minutes' drive from at least four hospitals - Scripps (La Jolla), Rady Children's (Serra Mesa - near 805/163 interchange), Pomerado (Poway), Palomar (Escondido).

Full time day care is also more expensive in UTC than along the 15. A "real" childcare center would cost $900/month along the 15, $1100-1200/month in UTC. There are many family child care places in the area (basically 3-4 children in a house, being taken care of by the owner of the house) those are cheaper, possibly as low as $600/month.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM

349 posts, read 1,094,670 times
Quote:

Any suggesstions?
Not sure where you are researching school information but my daughter's school rates "9" on greatschools.net and Eastlake middle is also a "9". Eastlake high is a "7" but I've seen lower ranking high schools in Carlsbad and Point Loma. High Tech High hasn't been rated yet (too new) and I'm sure it'll rate higher. Also there are brand new private schools to choose from. Yes, there are few apartments in these suburbs but you could probably rent a house for about 2K per month.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,207,918 times
Quote:

Any suggesstions?
IF you can sacrifice the requirements for African American exposure...

You can find what you're looking for in Rancho Bernardo. The Villas at Camino Bernardo (apartment complex off of Camino Del Norte) is what you describe. Again though, you'll have to be accepting of diversity. Best of all (not for me, but for someone with kids), there's a daycare right on the corner and plenty of eating places around, plus 4S Ranch is right down the way. It's just a bit of a drive ( maybe 15-20 minutes ) to get to the nearest mall (North County Fair). Traffic gets fairly backed up between 7:45 and 8am, and 4-5pm as people come and go to work.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM

105 posts, read 239,562 times
I really appreciate the awesome feedback that has been left. Hopefully I will make my decision by the end of July. Either way me and my children will be in California by September.

Again, thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego